Home

MLB The Show 17 Twitch Stream - Gameplay, Animations & Retro-Mode Deep Dive

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 17 Twitch Stream - Gameplay, Animations & Retro-Mode Deep Dive within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-09-2017, 06:25 PM   #25
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
Re: MLB The Show 17 Twitch Stream - Gameplay, Animations & Retro-Mode Deep Dive

For those of you interested in Retro Mode, they have an 8 bit option for low-res.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-02-09 at 6.20.21 PM.jpg (59.7 KB, 503 views)
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2017, 06:26 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBleedingRed21
You ever think they aren't putting it on full display until the presentation stream? Why would they do it last and have it out on display on the very first stream?
IMO, he does have a point. The game rarely looks drastically different than the streams when it comes out. I remember one year they "cracked the lighting code" right before the game went gold, and it still didn't necessarily blow people away.

I'm a gameplay guy, and I've been buying the show every year for the past decade, but it does bother me when people jump on anyone critiquing the graphics of the game (not just singling you out btw).

As far as gameplay goes, love the new spin on the ball..and some of those throwing animations looked fluid. Balls down the line are still a problem, most balls hit right down the line in real life are easily a stand up double. Looks like they're still a bang bang play this year.

More hit variety is always a good thing, but I actually do agree with the people harping on little graphical improvement. It's not the first year on PS4 anymore, I think they have a valid point. Here's to hoping the new grass tech looks great.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:27 PM   #27
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HypoLuxa13
ball physics is a game elevator. That was pure sweetness watching some of those hits hook and slice so realistically. They did mention the physics are still being worked on, some hit types still not behaving realistically.

They also mentioned the catcher throw meter is tied to the normal throw meter settings.
It will be a major challenge to get it perfect but I'm glad they changed it. It will add a ton of variety to the game and look less scripted. One thing the dev said - I can't remember his name - the ball will react differently depending on the height and handedness of the batter even on the same hit.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:28 PM   #28
MVP

kt-od's Arena

OVR: 24

Retro mode is cool, but won't be for me. Doubt I touch it at all.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:41 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomba
graphically looks the same as MLB 15 I see ZERO difference. The difference should be breathtaking I dont know why ppl swallow this game and stand for it it doesnt improve graphically graphically its hit a wall.
For some of us, graphics are merely icing on the cake.
The meat and potato is in the gameplay which brings us back and again.

A Work in Progress
Old 02-09-2017, 06:42 PM   #30
Rookie

volsfan39's Arena

OVR: 1

I'm sure I'll get slammed for being negative but I think I got more out of the video vlog than this stream. It's kind of like these guys are just goofing around instead of detailing anything. What I did get out of it is that the retro mode got boring very quickly. I played all the 8 bit games years ago and although I did enjoy them at the time that time has long passed. The new spin on the ball coming off the bat is fantastic and the new animations look really good also. I think they probably wish they hadn't shown the bunting as it still has issues. I won't comment on the graphics until I see more..
Old 02-09-2017, 06:44 PM   #31
MVP

Houston's Arena

I normally watch the streams on twitch using my PC and at first I was doing that this year, so I had that open then I decided why not see what it looks like on the PS4. I had both going on my PC and twitch app on the PS4. The outcome is that it definitely looks better on the PS4.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2017, 06:46 PM   #32
Pro

OVR: 24

Does anyone know if we now have a true feedback system to let the user know that a base is being stolen? We haven't had one in the past. Sometimes the baserunner OSD would happen to still be on the screen (it isnt always there) and you'd notice that way. Sometimes the commentators would say something about it (if they weren't already in mid sentence talking about something else).

Sometimes though, you'd get nothing at all, which has been frustrating.

If nothing else, I'd appreciate it if someone could ask at the next twitch stream, since I'm at work during all these things.

Last edited by Bobhead; 02-09-2017 at 06:50 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »