Home

Convince me to switch to directional hitting

This is a discussion on Convince me to switch to directional hitting within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2017, 08:23 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Convince me to switch to directional hitting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott
Agree 100%. If you want ratings to matter, go with directional/timing.
Interesting. I will say, I was 3/3 with a HR/2B/1B with Kris Bryant, and couldn't hit anything down the middle with Jake Arrietta.

You sold me on ratings. Going to give it a shot.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:39 AM   #10
Rookie

Twinkie12's Arena

This is a good conversation every year. I use zone with the PCI off. Zone gives you by far the most control and is the most rewarding in my opinion.

I feel like timing options are way too reliant on ratings and luck. I want to be in control at the plate, and if I get beat because I am looking inside and the pitch is a breaking ball away....well then so be it.

Zone is still timing based too, it just adds another element. If you time it perfectly AND you get the PCI on the ball, you have a much better chance at a base hit than if you just time it right on directional.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:43 AM   #11
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkie12
This is a good conversation every year. I use zone with the PCI off. Zone gives you by far the most control and is the most rewarding in my opinion.

I feel like timing options are way too reliant on ratings and luck. I want to be in control at the plate, and if I get beat because I am looking inside and the pitch is a breaking ball away....well then so be it.

Zone is still timing based too, it just adds another element. If you time it perfectly AND you get the PCI on the ball, you have a much better chance at a base hit than if you just time it right on directional.
So, kinda like Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball on N64, generally?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2017, 08:45 AM   #12
All Star

OVR: 2

Yep, I was directional for a long time but finally switched to Zone last year and never looked back. By far my favorite hitting mode. It actually allows your to sit on pitches AND locations

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #13
Stop! Homer Time!

theaub's Arena

OVR: 35

I use zone in RTTS (where I feel like I should have more control over my success), and directional elsewhere (where I want ratings to be more in play).

I suck at both anyways so it doesn't make much of a difference
Old 03-28-2017, 08:54 AM   #14
Rookie

Twinkie12's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelscf88
So, kinda like Ken Griffey Jr. Baseball on N64, generally?
Pretty much. Similar to how I used to hit on MVP 2005 too, flick the left stick in the direction of the ball and time your swing. You definitely need more of a plan at the plate, but if you get the pitch you're sitting on, it feels pretty dang good.

Also, with hitters with bigger zones, you can sit middle of the plate early or late in the count and it essentially becomes timing. There's just a lot of different ways you can approach an at bat.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:55 AM   #15
Where is A-Aron

bspring3's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury112491
Yep, I was directional for a long time but finally switched to Zone last year and never looked back. By far my favorite hitting mode. It actually allows your to sit on pitches AND locations

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I was the opposite; I was zone for the longest time but it got to the point that no matter what batter it was, they all hit the same because it was me controlling the input.

I switched to timing (now directional) and have stuck with it. You actually see a huge difference between your star hitters and your platoon players as ratings are the end all be all.

I will say that directional is not for everyone. If you like having control over every aspect of the game, zone is for you. If you enjoy letting the ratings play out and are able to accept the randomness that is associated with it, then directional is for you. IMO baseball is random in real life as good timing is still only a hit a fraction of the time (and you can whiff with perfect timing as well), and bad timing can still be a hit sometimes too. That is what really makes directional enjoyable for me
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #16
Pro

OVR: 3

Not sure i understand this implications that ratings don't matter on zone or analog

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »