Home

Convince me to switch to directional hitting

This is a discussion on Convince me to switch to directional hitting within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-29-2017, 04:37 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Convince me to switch to directional hitting

One thing to keep in mind is that the batter's attributes are slightly diminished in directional to compensate for the fact that you don't have to aim and it's only timing based. So if you are looking for the best results possible in terms of getting hits, like when playing online, zone is the way to go, so long as you're decent with the PCI.

If you're a PCI master and you want more "realistic" results offline, then sure direction will probably help out with that. Though I'd also suggest legend difficulty and adjusting the sliders.

Lastly, remember that you can strategically use both modes in the same game. I usually start online games in directional because I don't track well with the PCI, but if my opponent is painting corners or constantly throwing the same stuff (high fastballs or low sinkers, etc) then I'll switch to zone and sit on something, which works ridiculously well against a predictable pitcher. So if a pitcher is mixing up spots and speeds I usually stick with directional and try to just focus on timing but if they are predictable I switch to zone and use it as a pseudo guess pitch.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:41 AM   #34
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Directional/timing has always given me the most outstanding hit variety. Zone has always given me best pure results. For example, in ROTTS I was hitting .240 after 12 games, switched to zone and have raised the average to .330.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:56 AM   #35
Who? Giroux!

ManiacMatt1782's Arena

OVR: 26

Are you a bad player or a decent player. Directional's lack of control will help bad players as it takes the skill of aiming the swing out of the equation. On the same token, it will hamper a good player for the same exact reasons.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2017, 09:57 AM   #36
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacMatt1782
Are you a bad player or a decent player. Directional's lack of control will help bad players as it takes the skill of aiming the swing out of the equation. On the same token, it will hamper a good player for the same exact reasons.

Technically you are correct, but I kind of feel defensive about this, lol

Some decent players prefer directional/timing for emphasis on ratings over player skill. It's kind of like the "strategy over skill" approach to Madden.

Sorry it's not like your post was an insult or anything, I just felt compelled to share my two cents

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:05 AM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 3

I have a question regarding directional hitting. How do I steal an individual base with directional hitting using flick? I know you are supposed to use the left stick to point to the guy lets say on first and then hit R2. But I think that only activated the directional hitting to try to hit a ball to right field because both my runners started to steal.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:20 AM   #38
Chillin

RoyceDa59's Arena

OVR: 10

I will say this the feeling you get from crushing a pitch high and inside with Zone hitting is something I never feel with Directional hitting.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:43 PM   #39
Rookie

MoneyMan17's Arena

For me I like it because it lets the ratings do more of the hitting, rather than my personal skill. I mean I'm a Show vet so it's not like I'm terrible but I just like how I feel like ratings are more involved rather than me. You can always adjust the timing sliders and other sliders to make it more challenging.
Old 03-29-2017, 02:57 PM   #40
Banned

I can't play on anything except Zone. I want to feel like I'm winning or losing, not the computer dictating.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »