Home

Bunting in 17 is ATROCIOUS

This is a discussion on Bunting in 17 is ATROCIOUS within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-17-2017, 07:22 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: Bunting in 17 is ATROCIOUS

I hate to gripe too much about a video game (especially one that I enjoy so much) but bunting is a little ridiculous. Most of the time my hit speed on bunts is between 54 and 59 mph. I have guys in the minors who probably can't get that hit speed with a full hack. Lol

I do not want to hijack this post but is there a way to put in the wheel play or just have the shortstop cover 3rd on bunts in this game?
Old 04-18-2017, 01:53 AM   #18
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Question for the guys who can't get a bunt down period - are you sacrifice bunting? That is, squaring before the pitcher's release. When I sacrifice, I square as soon as the pitcher starts his windup. It's a different animation from dragging, which is done after the ball leaves the pitcher's hand.

As I mentioned in another thread, I have seen the line drive bunts on occasion. But usually (when playing vs CPU, at least) I'm able to get the bunt down to where the CPU will take the easy play at first. I've played several games now where I've been able to get multiple sacrifices down with SP's, and the success rate has been good enough for me to do it when the situation allows.

Now...if I was playing online things would be different. The CPU is pretty safe when it comes to defending this play except when it's a hard bunt, and will usually take the play at first. Most online players will recognize that they can still get the lead out and fire toward 2nd, and they'll usually get an out. My success rate head to head is much, much lower.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:08 PM   #19
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

To go one step further than saying what I just did:

Spoiler

The setup here is that I quick managed up to an obvious sac situation, did an in-game save/exit, then reloaded the save each time, making sure to close The Show completely after each attempt (otherwise it would auto-save and erase the in-game save)

As I've said, I have seen the line drive bunts. But not nearly as prevalent as others have claimed to. My success rate is just fine. And, whether you choose to believe me or not, this was six straight attempts - the only reason I had to make different clips was because the recording cuts when I close back to the PS4 main.

I feel like this problem (like several others in this game), is being over-exaggerated by the community. I don't doubt that people are having problems with it, but I think there might be some user error involved here.

Last edited by bcruise; 04-18-2017 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:19 PM   #20
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcruise

Spoiler

The setup here is that I quick managed up to an obvious sac situation, did an in-game save/exit, then reloaded the save each time, making sure to close The Show completely after each attempt (otherwise it would auto-save and erase the in-game save)

As I've said, I have seen the line drive bunts. But not nearly as prevalent as others have claimed to. My success rate is just fine. And, whether you choose to believe me or not, this was six straight attempts - the only reason I had to make different clips was because the recording cuts when I close back to the PS4 main.

I feel like this problem (like several others in this game), is being over-exaggerated by the community. I don't doubt that people are having problems with it, but I think there might be some user error involved here.
I don't think it is exaggerated. Maybe Lackey bunts better because of his very low power/contact rating? I have only bunted with position players. Players that should be able to bunt (Escobar and Mondesi for the Royals). Escobar is a decent bunter and Mondesi is a very good bunter in real life. Any time I bunt with either it is a one hopper right to a 3rd or 1st baseman. I think I have had one bunt go hard to the 2nd basemen. Luckily, the computer is super conservative and has just gone to 1st each time, but they could have easily had the out at 2nd. Luckily I don't bunt much in the AL, but the bunting has been pretty bad so far from the 5 or so I have done.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:13 AM   #21
Rookie

Quote:

every one of those bunts in your vids was hit way too hard except for the 2nd last or 3rd last one that went straight to the pitcher.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-19-2017, 01:46 AM   #22
Rookie

parky_17's Arena

Quote:

Spoiler

I watched all those clips and the only good bunt was the one that went back to the pitcher
And when you say that the people that are having trouble with bunting could because of user error, I don't see how that can be the case when all you have to do is hold down triangle to bunt

Sent from my SM-G920F using Operation Sports mobile app

TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS
TORONTO BLUE JAYS
WASHINGTON CAPITALS
DETROIT PISTONS
Old 04-19-2017, 01:50 AM   #23
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nxB0mber28
every one of those bunts in your vids was hit way too hard except for the 2nd last or 3rd last one that went straight to the pitcher.
I'd argue that they weren't "way too hard" because they worked. All of them. The AI plays this safe and goes to 1st unless it's bunted like a missile. They all accomplish my goal - moving the runner to 2nd. That's why I don't understand why people are having such difficulty sac bunting vs. the CPU.

I said online is a different animal - I get that. The out can be made there at 2nd on most of those if an aggressive user wants to make the play. Nor was I talking about drag bunting, which I do tend to agree is overly difficult even with good drag bunters. Different issues - that's why there are two different bunt ratings.

I was only talking about sacrificing (and more specifically, vs the CPU) because as an NL player, it's a big part of the game for me. It baffles me how people are having trouble with it.

Last edited by bcruise; 04-19-2017 at 01:52 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:00 AM   #24
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky_17
I watched all those clips and the only good bunt was the one that went back to the pitcher
And when you say that the people that are having trouble with bunting could because of user error, I don't see how that can be the case when all you have to do is hold down triangle to bunt

Sent from my SM-G920F using Operation Sports mobile app
Bunting at pitches on corners (I'm guilty of this one too, sometimes I pay for it with a popup)

Bunting at pitches out of the strike zone

Squaring too late and getting a drag bunt animation instead of a sacrifice one (the window is smaller than you think if you square on the pitcher's first movement, especially from the stretch).

Maybe even squaring too early and allowing the corners to get too much of a running charge at the bunt, making for an easier throw. FWIW, the AI always squares as soon as the pitcher begins his motion, and I try to do the same.

All of those things could be user error. Bottom line is I don't know how you're playing, so I can't say what might be causing it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »