Home

Rosters Could be very very interesting this year

This is a discussion on Rosters Could be very very interesting this year within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-24-2018, 08:56 PM   #1
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

OVR: 0
Rosters Could be very very interesting this year

The rosters this year might be the most unique thing that the show has had to deal with, because of the long wait for free agents to sign, there is still well over 100 players still looking for a team.

So with that I think a lot of player portraits will not be in the game this year. I am pretty sure the cut off point for portraits is usually February with MLB the show and after that we just have the CGI face.

it might be time for some consistency and just have all CGI faces, or find a way they can Photoshop and digitally put in a player portrait into the game (a lot of work though)

or we have the option to upload our OWN player portraits I mean we have that option for music so why not our own portraits?>?

because of the slow off season I can see a lot of roster work to be done closer to release date too. and will be interesting with the free agents limit in the game how they are gonna get around fitting all the players in free agents if this off season slowness continues.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2018, 09:17 PM   #2

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Rosters Could be very very interesting this year

I can't think of too many free agents that don't already have portraits since most of them have already been scanned.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:27 PM   #3
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I can't think of too many free agents that don't already have portraits since most of them have already been scanned.
how can they have been scanned when they don't know what team they are on yet?? I am not talking about scanning faces I am talking about player portraits the pictures of players. they turn into CGI faces if they sign on another team.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:38 PM   #4

kehlis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninertravel
how can they have been scanned when they don't know what team they are on yet?? I am not talking about scanning faces I am talking about player portraits the pictures of players. they turn into CGI faces if they sign on another team.
I understand that. I'm pretty sure that's by design.

I think if they have a scan and are signed on time a hat and shirt can easily be in place if they are signed on time.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:47 PM   #5
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

I will give you an example Ian Desmond signed with the rangers late February 2 years ago with the rangers, and he had a CGI portrait

Nelson Cruz
Mitch Moreland were another 2.

I am not sure what the cut off date is but right now their is a unique year going on here in free agency. and over 100 players that will be starters looking to find a team.

if this also was to continue with the free agents limit, they would have to fill in the rosters with fake players. I have a feeling that this year they could expand the free agents roster for this reason. this is going to be a new thing in baseball now.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-24-2018, 09:56 PM   #6

kehlis's Arena

Interesting.

Do you know if Desmond got scanned in his Spring Training with the Nationals? He wasn't a starter and was a late call up the year before so it wouldn't shock me if he wasn't.

Cruz and Moreland don't really make sense unless they never agreed to have their face scanned.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:21 PM   #7
Rookie

You are completely missing the point here from the OP. He's talking about actual player portraits as in the ones that show up on the jumbotrons. Not in game faces. Whenever a player in the game changes original team the portrait becomes a cgi face (not a real picture).

If I remember correctly I think Ramone said last year it's a lot of work to update the picture art which is why it's not done once past a certain date. Ninertravel is right and we might be getting a lot of cgi player portraits.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 01-25-2018, 12:30 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 4

Ideally, they'd make the player portraits have just the players' faces and then it'd overlay the jersey and cap whichever team the player winds up on. Do that for everyone, that way in franchises when a player gets traded it'll just swap out the jersey and cap instead of creating the awful CGI version.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »