Home

Would you support DLC Classic Stadiums

This is a discussion on Would you support DLC Classic Stadiums within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2018, 12:21 PM   #25
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Would you support DLC Classic Stadiums

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbits11
You wouldn't think stadiums would cost as much in licensing as some of these old time players, especially Babe Ruth and Ted Williams. They also could use fake names like ASB did "Retro Dodger"

I would pay extra for DLC Classic stadiums though, you would think a lot of fans would pay and offset cost for the licensing.
Sometimes it is also more than just about money. Some do not want the likeness shared, or stadiums, especially for a 'video game'. I am sure there is a lot of convincing that care will be taken, and over time, the willingness to cooperate/negotiate opens up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2018, 12:25 PM   #26
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4

I rarely play classic rosters/seasons/uniforms being in the younger fan minority on this site.

I might dabble in the Classic stadiums in the game already but I don’t think I’d see myself buying others in a DLC pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-02-2018, 12:54 PM   #27
MVP

Lisac's Arena

OVR: 0

Option to Create A Stadium would reslove this
Old 03-02-2018, 01:08 PM   #28
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnigmaNemesis
Yes, just as someone owns the rights to the 'estate' of someone who passed away, thus those Legend players still have to be licensed.

Now this was almost 5-6 years ago, but the last time I was at SD Studios, when we asked, the main reason for licensing stadiums was the cost. I believe Ebbets was used as an example of licensing costs being astronomical and never seeing a return, even if DLC.
Man, that is just so awful. Not terribly surprising given how all of this nonsense works, but terrible.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #29
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

Quote:
Sometimes it is also more than just about money. Some do not want the likeness shared, or stadiums, especially for a 'video game'. I am sure there is a lot of convincing that care will be taken, and over time, the willingness to cooperate/negotiate opens up.
I wonder what the time frame on the likenesses are for people who have passed away. Non sports video games use historical characters all the time. At some point, everything has to become part of the general free domain.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:34 PM   #30
Animal Liberation

EnigmaNemesis's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlucky 13
I wonder what the time frame on the likenesses are for people who have passed away. Non sports video games use historical characters all the time. At some point, everything has to become part of the general free domain.
Just going by what I know for the music industry, and friends that work in it, and are musicians, etc., there is an expiration, but it's a 95 year period divided 2 phases (28 years initial, 67 years if you renew it after the 28), anything prior to January 1, 1978 (in music) that was not copyrighted or fell into public domain is for life of the author and/or their estate I imagine.

For likeness it is personality rights, which does not have an international standard, so they fall under the country's laws. So let's say for a photo you take, copyright currently lasts life of creator plus 70 years, or a flat 95 years for corporate authorship. So these are likely to extend past the expiration of the personality rights.

However California (since it has the most celebrities) enacted a law where it is for life, plus 70 years (when passed down to family), there are a dozen or so other states that follow suit.

Copyrights prior to 1923 have expired, but not sure how the renewal works on that.

It is all complex no matter what, lol. So in other words, long past our time for them to lift.
Old 03-02-2018, 03:26 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyacinth1
They should give us a create a stadium like every other sports game does.
This is easier in football and basketball as the field and court dimensions are the same across the board.

A Work in Progress
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #32
MVP

Unlucky 13's Arena

Quote:
Just going by what I know for the music industry, and friends that work in it, and are musicians, etc., there is an expiration, but it's a 95 year period divided 2 phases (28 years initial, 67 years if you renew it after the 28), anything prior to January 1, 1978 (in music) that was not copyrighted or fell into public domain is for life of the author and/or their estate I imagine.

For likeness it is personality rights, which does not have an international standard, so they fall under the country's laws. So let's say for a photo you take, copyright currently lasts life of creator plus 70 years, or a flat 95 years for corporate authorship. So these are likely to extend past the expiration of the personality rights.

However California (since it has the most celebrities) enacted a law where it is for life, plus 70 years (when passed down to family), there are a dozen or so other states that follow suit.

Copyrights prior to 1923 have expired, but not sure how the renewal works on that.

It is all complex no matter what, lol. So in other words, long past our time for them to lift.
Thats all very informative, so thank you. So if its life +70, then the celebs who passed away in the late 40s are now public domain? There would certainly be some former ballplayers who would fall into that. And as time moves forward into those who died in the 50s and 60s, a whole lot more will soon then.

And as someone who was born in late 1977, its an interesting and easy break for me to remember in the music section, lol. Anything in my lifetime has different rules than those from before I was born.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »