Home

MLB The Show 18 Interview - Online Play, Gameplay Improvements, No Micro Transactions

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 18 Interview - Online Play, Gameplay Improvements, No Micro Transactions within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-09-2018, 10:00 PM   #17
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 18 Interview - Online Play, Gameplay Improvements, No Micro Transact

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan16
Then how were there micro transactions in the first place?

If training points are not considered micro transactions

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Spending money on stubs to buy training points is a microtransaction. So is spending money on stubs to buy gear to eclipse imposed level caps. They took the only microtransactions they had in the mode and shifted what you purchase, and made them more necessary. Then they claim they "eliminated" microtransactions. It's shady and misleading.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:04 PM   #18
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

Re: MLB The Show 18 Interview - Online Play, Gameplay Improvements, No Micro Transact

Quote:
Yes, you’re right about the price of diamond equipment being higher because of higher demand.

Again, my point was missed. The idea of no micro transactions has nothing to do with equipment. It has everything to do with “performance gains” rather than Training Points.

The ONLY way to raise your Contact v R by one Point, from 50 to 51 is to get base hits. The ONLY way to increase your throwing accuracy is to play the Fielding opportunities and make a throw to first base.

There are no micro transactions that say “in order to increase this attribute you must spend training points.” You cannot increase your fielding attributes by dropping bombs and putting those training points earned into reaction and fielding ability like in years past.

This has nothing to do with equipment or Caps.

The “no micro transactions” only relates to individual attributes being increased.

I think we just disagree on the definition of micro transactions. In my book, you can pay real money to buy stubs. Last year you could use those stubs on training points and you could use those stubs on equipment. This year you can still use those stubs on equipment. Either method is a micro transaction.

To be honest if you want to look at it even more cynically, while SDS can say no micro-transactions they are probably going to make more money in the long run on stub purchases.

If someone bought training points to make an all 99 player then there was not much incentive for them to spend a lot of stubs on the best equipment. I carry over my 99 player and there is still no incentive for me to chase the best equipment and I can maintain my 99 levels without buying more training points.

Now you can end up spending a hundred thousand stubs or more on diamond level equipment to compensate for the skill caps and when we carry over those players into MLB 19 all that equipment will be taken away and we will have to spend another hundred thousand plus stubs next year to get our player back to the same level.

Last edited by Dolenz; 03-09-2018 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:07 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebot44
Spending money on stubs to buy training points is a microtransaction. So is spending money on stubs to buy gear to eclipse imposed level caps. They took the only microtransactions they had in the mode and shifted what you purchase, and made them more necessary. Then they claim they "eliminated" microtransactions. It's shady and misleading.
They didn't make them more necessary at all. It's also not shady nor misleading when they explained it. Yu choose to want to have higher than the caps. There was no lies or misdirection at all
Old 03-09-2018, 10:08 PM   #20
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beelzebot44

Fair. But you aren’t rewarded with “training points” after a Franchise or DD game. You are rewarded with cards, potentially Equipment cards. You are given cards for free.

Micro transactions are never necessary. It is all personal preference. You are never forced to perform a micro transaction.

You can still be a 99 overall player without any equipment. You can be a better 99 overall player with equipment obviously.

I know the caps suck and you can’t be an absolute god. But that’s not what I was referring to and my mistake for thinking the purchasing of attribute points with training points was a micro transaction. I thought it was so thank you for explaining that to me.

I still feel the word micro transaction they were referring to was the act of buying an attribute point because Ramone kept mentioning “automatically allocated”

Old 03-09-2018, 10:13 PM   #21
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan99
They didn't make them more necessary at all. It's also not shady nor misleading when they explained it. Yu choose to want to have higher than the caps. There was no lies or misdirection at all
"No microtransactions" is a flat out lie. They're hyping that, but it simply isn't true. You just spend the money on gear instead of skill points, but it's still a microtransaction.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2018, 10:16 PM   #22
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4

And I thought that because of how much hate 2K has gotten for their career mode and all of the “micro transactions.”

In 2K career mode, you spend VC (Stubs) on attribute increases. If you want to increase your 3Pt ability, you have to spend VC (Stubs).

This led a lot of people to spend real money on VC in order to make attribute increases and increase their players’ overall.

So when SCEA says “no micro transactions” I read that as “you don’t have to spend Stubs or even Training points to increase your attributes and overall. You simply have to get base hits and make plays in the field.”

Old 03-09-2018, 10:18 PM   #23
MVP

Dolenz's Arena

Basically anything that can be purchased in game for real money is a micro transaction. What it is does not really matter. It could be a performance boosting item or it could be something entirely cosmetic.

As far as MLB: The Show is concerned, since stubs can be purchased for real money then everything you can buy with stubs is "potentially" a micro transaction.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:22 PM   #24
Rookie

Quote:
And I thought that because of how much hate 2K has gotten for their career mode and all of the “micro transactions.”

In 2K career mode, you spend VC (Stubs) on attribute increases. If you want to increase your 3Pt ability, you have to spend VC (Stubs).

This led a lot of people to spend real money on VC in order to make attribute increases and increase their players’ overall.

So when SCEA says “no micro transactions” I read that as “you don’t have to spend Stubs or even Training points to increase your attributes and overall. You simply have to get base hits and make plays in the field.”

All they really did was take the skill points you earned and automatically applied them. The underlying idea is the same; if my 17 RTTS guy hits a HR, I get 20 points or whatever and can apply them to any skill I want. In 18, if I hit a HR, the game will take those 20 points and automatically apply them to my power skill. They didn't take away the transactions, just our ability to choose what we're buying with the points.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »