Home

Does anyone use "Pitcher Analysis" or other stuff to scout opposing pitchers?

This is a discussion on Does anyone use "Pitcher Analysis" or other stuff to scout opposing pitchers? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-15-2018, 11:23 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Does anyone use "Pitcher Analysis" or other stuff to scout opposing pitchers?

As the title implies. Does anyone scout the pitcher that they are facing?

I have a couple of things that I'm trying out to see if I can up my success rate in the batter's box. Tired of just reacting and hoping.

Using "Pitching Breakdown" to identify frequency of pitch-types used and "Pitcher Analysis" for location, situation, etc.

Last edited by KCRoyalBlue; 10-15-2018 at 11:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2018, 12:10 AM   #2
Pro

dazzelle's Arena

Re: Does anyone use "Pitcher Analysis" or other stuff to scout opposing pitchers?

If pitcher/batter analysis was easier to access i would look at it a lot more. I still do not understand why SDS refuse to use that giant button that is sitting right in the middle of every ps4 controller. How about if i press the left side it brings up batting analysis and press the right side and it brings up pitching analysis.

I also think there used to be more info on the pitching breakdown pop up, think it was hitting % for each pitch type or something.

Sorry to sidetrack your topic KC but the lack of use for the touchpad as annoyed me for years but yes i would use it if it was quicker and easier to access.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:09 AM   #3
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Does anyone use "Pitcher Analysis" or other stuff to scout opposing pitchers?

I use it all the time as both a hitter and a pitcher. And I highly recommend others use it as well especially if you’re struggling at hitting or pitching.

I agree that it’s disappointing that it’s cumbersome to access and hope next year it’s brought back to the forefront.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 10-16-2018, 02:46 PM   #4
Rookie

Not really I just go and swing like a mad man and hope I hit something
Old 10-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #5
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

I dont go to the lengths on pitcher analysis.. But i do take a quick look at his pitches and speeds, after that I'm kinda just sitting fastball and reacting to off-speed. It worked really well in the minors and after 3 games in the majors its working okay. (outside of Taijuan Walker giving me a 4-4 debut off straight fastballs.)

Im only a 62 overall but my plate discipline isn't bad at all so that probably helps.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-16-2018, 06:04 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmb8
I dont go to the lengths on pitcher analysis.. But i do take a quick look at his pitches...
Yeah, I try not to overanalyze these things. I want to react to the pitch and try not to go the plate thinking too much. I mainly want to know if a guys fastball has movement and what his off-speed and breaking pitches are. You dont want to be up there looking for a straight 4seamer only to be shot down with a cutter. Plus, I gotta know if a guys got a straight change or a circle. The circle gives me fits but the regular change mot so much. Same with a regular curveball and a 12-6. That 12-6 is a SOB

A Work in Progress
Old 10-16-2018, 11:39 PM   #7
Rookie

Here's where I am......

2024 of RTTS in my player's 7th season. Settled in as a 3B, that is a "Bat First" archetype. Power-heavy and light on the batting average, tho I had hoped to be more balanced.

I use Dynamic difficulty. Spend 95% of the time in the "Legend" and "Legend+" area. When I'm in a prolonged slump, I might drop down to "Hall of Fame+", but usually jump right back up.

My 2024 stats into the last week of August (minor amount of estimation, as I'm not playing as I'm posting, but this is extremely close to dead-accurate) :

.200 BA
40 HR's
80 RBI's
.275 OBP
.475 SLG
.750 OPS
40 BB's
215 Strikeouts (completely embarrassing)

Thru mid-June, I had been hitting .153 with 19 HR's. In the past 50 games or so, I've raised my average almost .050 points and hit over 20 HR's. Definitely had a bad stretch in there, but also some very, very productive ones as well.

When I come to the plate for my 1st AB, I'll check to see what pitch types are being thrown most often.....taking that into consideration, but mainly relying on their Pitch Confidence. Then attempt to take a few pitches, if possible.

On the 2nd AB and beyond, I'll go into Pitcher Analysis and start looking for pitch type/location tendencies vs. RHB (which I am) in certain situations. Pretty much on "1st Pitch", "Early in Count", "Pitcher Behind in Count", and "Pitcher Ahead in Count". I then weigh that against their Pitch Confidence.

It's slightly balky to bounce around a bit between menus, but I've gotten fairly quick with it. While it does slow my flow down, I'm seeing some success. Before this, I was reacting and hacking. That worked for levels below Hall of Fame, but I really saw things plummet at that difficulty level and beyond.

I'm still struggling with my discipline and pitch recognition, but not quite as badly. I'm guessing the pitches more frequently and generally getting better wood on the ball.

Anyone trying anything like this?

Are there any scouting tools that I'm missing???
Old 10-17-2018, 12:06 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRoyalBlue
As the title implies. Does anyone scout the pitcher that they are facing?

I have a couple of things that I'm trying out to see if I can up my success rate in the batter's box. Tired of just reacting and hoping.

Using "Pitching Breakdown" to identify frequency of pitch-types used and "Pitcher Analysis" for location, situation, etc.
Yes, I do.......

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »