Home

Your reason for playing Franchise

This is a discussion on Your reason for playing Franchise within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-25-2019, 10:18 PM   #25
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55
Re: Your reason for playing Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballgame59
What is the biggest reason that you play Franchise seasons?
Lasting experience, consistency, control, authenticity aspect, and the bond I grow with my investments/pieces attained or acquired.

I know that's not one reason, but there you have it. I guess if I wrapped it into one, I'd say it's the overall journey.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-25-2019, 11:13 PM   #26
Pro

OVR: 0

Creating myself and using Player Lock throughout the season. I try to perform to prevent from being traded. Building a dynamic team and making it to the playoffs.

Unfortunately I find myself playing the Player Lock experience in NBA 2K19. Even though I am not a basketball fan the level of detail in both the Franchise Mode and PlayerLock experience is far superior than MLB The Show.

I always find myself coming back to Baseball simply because I know the game and can relate to all the statistical data which I only have a small clue of what that data means what when it comes to Basket Ball.

With that said I would hope for a better Franchise gameplay experience on some of the areas listed below.

Overall Customizations and Settings

Examples
• Injuries and how they affect the team, players and gameplay!
• Team Chemistry (If commentary and crowd and atmosphere could affect this just so much room for improvement especially with baseball!)

• Fatigue (This does not work in the current Franchise mode the most we get is a energy bar graphic. And if you choose player lock from the start game screen. Your energy does not even affect gameplay and you can play and entire season without getting fatigued! So no reason to believe the other Fatigue systems work.

• Coach Settings Sliders: Currently every team plays the same way! There is no CPU strategy in Game 3 of a series vs Game One! Only if the on field coaches 1st, 3rd base coaches impacted the actual game on the field!

improvements to the UI

• 2018 had a good UI. But still too many screens or accepting of buttons to get to the actual game! It's horrible when you have 30 team control setup!

I just stopped here mid post! I just watched a Youtube video of MLB The Show 11 walk off home run and the play by play was nearly identical to MLB The Show 18 and so was the Home Run Walk Off animation! SMH YIKES! I don't think any change is coming anytime soon!

SDS your hardcore baseball fans are Thirsty For Something New! Oh wait! That's the 1% according to data! Now wonder!
Old 01-25-2019, 11:14 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

When I was a kid, I'd buy the baseball magazines every spring for the rosters along with a three-ring notebook. And during the summer, I had my own little make-believe baseball universe. Each page in the notebook was a day in the season. I'd create scores, stats, standings; make trades for teams, etc.

Franchise mode is just a more grown-up, technologically-advanced version of that for me.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:48 AM   #28
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwebb48
As said above, storylines are key. I love going through a sort of talk show in my head when I make a big trade... such as trading a big name player for prospects to rebuild or vice versa. I love calling up a top prospect and playing their first ever game.

Or what I do in some franchise modes is after say 5 years of not a ton of success. I go for it all 1 last year, Sell the farm, acquire as many studs as possible and make 1 last run before calling it quits. theres endless possibilities, even with a mode as "barebones" as MLB the show franchise, I still enjoy it.
I actually do something similar, and I’m happy to hear I’m not alone lol.

Starting back in 2002, I began doing a nightly Sportscenter-style show in my head, where I went over all the sports games I played that day to help me fall asleep at night. I have different characters for the different sports, and it helps me stay immersed in a game. It’s pretty weird, but it works like a charm on multiple fronts haha
Old 01-26-2019, 08:30 AM   #29
MVP

zippy2212's Arena

OVR: 8

Like many, I play it to create my own story. I'll never be rich enough to own my own MLB Franchise so i do it virtually, lol.
I started my franchise when Bryant, Baez, Russell, where still in the minors and the Cubs were not good. I've been able to create a somewhat dynasty with these real players plus guys I've drafted throughout the years. I currently have more Show drafted players on my 25 man roster than actual Cubs. So winning 2 out of the last 4 WS has been so much sweeter.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 01-26-2019, 08:41 AM   #30
16 Time World Champion

Nature_Boy's Arena

OVR: 30
Icon14 Re: Your reason for playing Franchise

Quote:
Originally Posted by reyes the roof
I like the immersion. I can't just play a bunch of play now games, I need to be working towards a long term goal in order to keep me playing
That pretty much describes why I play Franchise.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:43 AM   #31
Pro

Ballgame59's Arena

This is awesome stuff! It's really giving me some motivation to start a franchise.

For those of you that enjoy the story lines and story that your team creates, have you thought about doing a blog/website of some sort? I've seen them done with FIFA Career modes and with what some of you guys are telling me, this might be right up your alley.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-26-2019, 10:25 AM   #32
Rookie

ECUoak's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
When I was a kid, I'd buy the baseball magazines every spring for the rosters along with a three-ring notebook. And during the summer, I had my own little make-believe baseball universe. Each page in the notebook was a day in the season. I'd create scores, stats, standings; make trades for teams, etc.

Franchise mode is just a more grown-up, technologically-advanced version of that for me.

In the PS1 and Sega days I would track all of my scores and lineups using baseball score books and tracking every pitch. I had STACKS of used books.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »