Home

Is this game noob friendly?

This is a discussion on Is this game noob friendly? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-13-2021, 02:14 AM   #1
Pro

Johnnythelegend's Arena

OVR: 0
Is this game noob friendly?

Hi, as someone who doesn't even know the rules of baseball. I am from Europe, I think nobody plays it here . But I've heard some great things about this game and I'd like to learn how baseball is played and I love playing immersive sports franchises so I'd like to try it. What do you say, how should I start? Btw I have gamepass so it's not should I buy the game or not, it is if I start playing it, will I have fun as someone who knows almost nothing about baseball.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2021, 02:48 AM   #2
MVP

SeaTownGamer's Arena

Re: Is this game noob friendly?

No it isn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2021, 03:24 AM   #3
Rookie

douggoud's Arena

OVR: 7

Hmmmmm, I don't know if it'll necessarily teach you the game of baseball, but if you have some basic understanding of baseball I'm sure you'll have fun! I actually didn't know baseball either until I played MVP Baseball 2004. I learned the game through that, so if you play it enough it could be enough to pick up the weirder rules of baseball as you go!

"All Angels Go To Heaven"
Old 04-13-2021, 03:51 AM   #4
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by douggoud
Hmmmmm, I don't know if it'll necessarily teach you the game of baseball, but if you have some basic understanding of baseball I'm sure you'll have fun! I actually didn't know baseball either until I played MVP Baseball 2004. I learned the game through that, so if you play it enough it could be enough to pick up the weirder rules of baseball as you go!
Yeah, this is a pretty good way of putting it. It won't really teach you the rules of baseball, but what this game is good at is teaching the player how to play this game, which can lead to a better understanding of baseball itself. Especially this year, with the new casual game style you can select right from the beginning the controls and gameplay settings are going to be very simplified, and much easier for a beginner to pick up. For example, the game won't exactly tell you in words that you have to throw to first base on an infield ground ball to get a hitter "out", but what it WILL do on Casual is show a button prompt right next to the fielder which instructs the player to throw to that base, in this case the right face button - "Circle" or "B" depending on whether you're playing PS4/5 or XBOX.

Then there's also Retro Mode which is an old-school, arcade-like baseball experience, which is also very simplified compared to the regular game.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:24 AM   #5
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

This is a hard one to answer. Yes, SDS added a casual mode this year for beginners, but not knowing the nuances of baseball, particularly when it comes to trying to hit a located pitch, is very difficult for someone who doesn't understand the game.

Hitting can turn into quite the frustrating chore if you don't understand the pitches and how they move. Understanding when to take a ball and recognizing a pitch outside of the zone will have you looking foolish.

I'd recommend taking a look at some YouTube videos about pitching to get a feel for how you're going to have to approach the game while in the batters box.

For as simple a game as baseball is, it can be VERY complicated if you don't understand it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2021, 09:10 AM   #6
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

I wouldn't say the Show is noob friendly but it does allow beginners to enjoy it.

I'd advise you to start with dynamic difficulty for both pitching and hitting. That way you can scale the difficulty of the two most important factors of the game.

Turn on automatic fielding so that you can see and feel how the outfielders play certain hits as you learn.

I'd use quick counts which put you in the middle of certain at bats; You could be up 3-1 (3 balls to one strike, in which case you'd usually get a decent pitch to avoid the walk) or down 0-2 (you're usually just trying to not strike out) or anything in between. It taught me the nuance of the pitcher/batter matchup. Plus, it speeds up the game which allows me to play more games in franchise.

Finally, I'd use the API (I think that's what its called) but it's the catcher suggestion which gives you a location when you're pitching. As your knowledge of the game of baseball and skill increase you can open up more of the game. That's my suggestion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 04-13-2021, 09:18 AM   #7
It Appears I Blue Myself

CBoller1331's Arena

I would say yes and no. The game can definitely be difficult (just like real baseball), but the new casual mode seems like it was made for folks like you who are interested in learning about the game. From what they have said casual mode seems to emphasize learning the rules and the game mechanics. Since you said you have gamepass, I would say it's a no brainer to give it a shot

Thanks Peyton. #18
Old 04-14-2021, 09:10 AM   #8
Rookie

Noob warning -- baseball is a game of failure, at least on the hitting side of things. A bad outcome 3/4 of the time still makes you a league-average hitter.

As for the video game, SDS has done everything to basically make the game enjoyable for newcomers. You can play it in something like a "one-button mode" that lessens a lot of the frustration. Combined with difficulty levels and a variety of camera angles, you'll be fine. When you understand the game more and get better at the controls, find your sweet spot.

It's a great game, even if SDS is focusing way more on "noobs" like you (no offense: welcome!) than on hardcore baseball fans (franchise improvements).

Give it a shot, then give it another shot. I think you'll like it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »