Home

Play-by-play/Commentary

This is a discussion on Play-by-play/Commentary within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2020, 08:28 AM   #9
#realtalk

dalger21's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Play-by-play/Commentary

When I hear Matt begin to say, "With this one in the books...", I know it's time to hit options and click on replay then go back to the game to shut him up as they will go on and on about it. At this point, the commentary is not going to change much at all other than a few new lines each year.
Old 03-23-2020, 08:59 AM   #10
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Tigers
I think it’s quite good, actually. It’s about a 7/10 or thereabouts. My complaint is that I don’t think Matt was a very good choice, with his fairly high-pitched and nasally voice, and his generally upbeat and cheery inflections, I just don’t think it sounds very good.

Compare MLBTS with the 2K games with Jon Miller and Joe Morgan. It’s not that Jon and Joe had better lines or more to say, they just sounded a hundred times better.

https://youtu.be/4LD2at-5g0Y

And forgive me if I’m being repetitive as I’ve made this point several times in the past, but a neat little trick to “deal with” commentary is to turn it the heck down. Like I’m talking four or five clicks from the left. It’s BLASTING on default. Try to get it so they just kind of bleed into the rest of the ambiance instead of being so right in your face. Works for me, I don’t even turn it off anymore.

Man it’s really too bad 2k isn’t making a MLB game, it would be incredible to see what they could do these days

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-23-2020, 10:10 AM   #11
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

People actually listen to the commentary? I haven't listened to it since...oh heck I can't remember the last time I listened to it. I open the laptop and turn on Netflix and play some Shameless or Dexter or something and listen to that while playing.

Although I have some new surround sound headphones and I really want to hear how the game sounds are with them. So I am going to hear it at least once....eventually.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #12
Rookie

OVR: 3

“And now the always intense, Matt Chapman”
Old 03-23-2020, 11:03 AM   #13
Rookie

S_pierce10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Tigers
I think it’s quite good, actually. It’s about a 7/10 or thereabouts. My complaint is that I don’t think Matt was a very good choice, with his fairly high-pitched and nasally voice, and his generally upbeat and cheery inflections, I just don’t think it sounds very good.

Compare MLBTS with the 2K games with Jon Miller and Joe Morgan. It’s not that Jon and Joe had better lines or more to say, they just sounded a hundred times better.

https://youtu.be/4LD2at-5g0Y

And forgive me if I’m being repetitive as I’ve made this point several times in the past, but a neat little trick to “deal with” commentary is to turn it the heck down. Like I’m talking four or five clicks from the left. It’s BLASTING on default. Try to get it so they just kind of bleed into the rest of the ambiance instead of being so right in your face. Works for me, I don’t even turn it off anymore.

Imagine The Show graphics and gameplay with the presentation of 2K. That would be a thing of beauty.... and don’t get be started with the real time between pitches play out... I loved it when I could watch the batter step out and the pitcher get the ball back and set up again, I miss it
Old 03-24-2020, 12:08 AM   #14
Pro

cubby blue's Arena

OVR: 2

I turn off commentary and in game music. I play my music from the media player from my thumb drive on the ps4.

The commentary is stale and boring. I mean if I hear DeRo say "there was billboards around Wrigley Field when Kris Bryant was in Triple A" etc. etc. same old lines since '16... lol

Every once in while I'll turn the commentary back on.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Operation Sports mobile app
Bulls
Old 03-24-2020, 09:53 AM   #15
Rookie

ajsas's Arena

I commentate my own games. Sometimes in my head, usually out loud.

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I am debating scoring games on a laptop using ballscore so I can have easier access to player names and in-depth stats during games.

What's sad is that Matty V doesn't seem to have much time for batting average and ERA in real life (preferring, at the very least, OPS/OPS+, FIP, etc.) and yet he goes on and on about a batter hitting .300.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2020, 01:20 PM   #16
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsas
I commentate my own games. Sometimes in my head, usually out loud.
nothing wrong with that. but when you put on a blonde wig and do Heidi voices, you may have crossed a line you cant get back

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »