Home

Play-by-play/Commentary

This is a discussion on Play-by-play/Commentary within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
FIFA 21 Review
Tennis World Tour 2 Review
Doug Flutie's Maximum Football 2020 Review
Poll: Which next-gen console are you going to purchase? (Click to vote)

Old 03-24-2020, 02:58 PM   #17
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14
Re: Play-by-play/Commentary

Only thing I hate about the commentary is that we can't turn off Heldi Watney!! So freaking annoying!! We've got to opt-in to see starting lineups and stuff but we are FORCED to watch Heldi and don't even have the option to skip over her!! Who's bright idea was that?
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 03-24-2020, 02:59 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstrosAllDay85
Commentary is one of the weakest aspects of The Show every year in my opinion.....

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Tigers
I think itís quite good, actually. Itís about a 7/10 or thereabouts. My complaint is that I donít think Matt was a very good choice, with his fairly high-pitched and nasally voice, and his generally upbeat and cheery inflections, I just donít think it sounds very good.

Compare MLBTS with the 2K games with Jon Miller and Joe Morgan. Itís not that Jon and Joe had better lines or more to say, they just sounded a hundred times better.

https://youtu.be/4LD2at-5g0Y

And forgive me if Iím being repetitive as Iíve made this point several times in the past, but a neat little trick to ďdeal withĒ commentary is to turn it the heck down. Like Iím talking four or five clicks from the left. Itís BLASTING on default. Try to get it so they just kind of bleed into the rest of the ambiance instead of being so right in your face. Works for me, I donít even turn it off anymore.
First, yes 2k had way better commentary and flow. There is a great article where Plesac discusses the difficulty of being the only person in the room during most recording sessions. Second, the commentary is way too repetitive. I think this is the biggest problem far and away above Matt.

The Show has been using Matt for years so he should have a really large pool of lines. Yet I hear every year the same lines over and over. Plesac isn't as bad but DRo is so repetitive he is competing with Hudler for worst of the group. Not because he is bad..it is just that he has so few lines. At least the other non-repetitive lines are not being triggered.
Old 03-24-2020, 03:03 PM   #19
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsas
I commentate my own games. Sometimes in my head, usually out loud.

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but I am debating scoring games on a laptop using ballscore so I can have easier access to player names and in-depth stats during games.

What's sad is that Matty V doesn't seem to have much time for batting average and ERA in real life (preferring, at the very least, OPS/OPS+, FIP, etc.) and yet he goes on and on about a batter hitting .300.

I keep a spreadsheet of all my franchise stuff. Rosters, trades, roster transactions, draft picks, all-star games and awards, standings, ect. I like to keep track of how my roster changes over the years and how much money I spend on payroll and stuff. I like to see which teams do what and everything else. It's very time consuming but I enjoy it.
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 03-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #20
All Star

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by knich
I agree.

First, yes 2k had way better commentary and flow. There is a great article where Plesac discusses the difficulty of being the only person in the room during most recording sessions. Second, the commentary is way too repetitive. I think this is the biggest problem far and away above Matt.

The Show has been using Matt for years so he should have a really large pool of lines. Yet I hear every year the same lines over and over. Plesac isn't as bad but DRo is so repetitive he is competing with Hudler for worst of the group. Not because he is bad..it is just that he has so few lines. At least the other non-repetitive lines are not being triggered.
for as good as Vasgersian is IRL, he isnt the best at reading lines. he's not the worst either though. however, Plesac could definitely use a speech coach. and a universal translator to convert Mushmouth to English

no soy hippie
Old 03-24-2020, 05:08 PM   #21
Rookie

kaptainkarl76's Arena

OVR: 1

I don't understand why they can't put the 3 of them in a recording booth, have them watch a few real life games (from past regular and post season games) and create commentary from that..With technology these days, they wouldn't even have to be in the same booth!

Last edited by kaptainkarl76; 03-24-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2020, 05:34 PM   #22
All Star

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I think part of the reason I've had in accepting Vasgersian all these years is if way back in 2006 would he have even gotten the gig if he wasnt in San Diego at that time. I think he has always been in my mind as having become the voice of the Show because he was more ĎĎin the right place at the right timeíí. I've always been a fan of Kuiper and Krukow and if I was able to pick who I wanted the most, among real announcers. Don Orsillo being in San Diego would be every good a pick as Vasgersian. However, if I were completely control of who I wanted most, I'd go with professional voice actors, probably Tom Kenny and Billy West and maybe Tara Strong if they are set on having a field reporter. I've long thought they'd better off with a 2 man booth instead of 3

no soy hippie
Old 03-24-2020, 09:26 PM   #23
Rookie

JHodges57's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUTiger1
Only thing I hate about the commentary is that we can't turn off Heldi Watney!! So freaking annoying!! We've got to opt-in to see starting lineups and stuff but we are FORCED to watch Heldi and don't even have the option to skip over her!! Who's bright idea was that?

Is quick play an option outside of franchise? If so, use it and you won't see her. It's stupid for me to have her on when I have all the audio for announcers turned off to begin with. So she comes on and I don't even hear what she's saying. To bad it doesn't automatically turn her off when the audio is set to off.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:19 AM   #24
Rookie

OVR: 2

I like Matt but itís gotten really stale. Heís been the voice for 15 years and whatís worst is minimal upgrades are done year to year. If you play MLB 08, the lines are vastly the same.

When sports games get big time broadcasters itís appealing but quickly grows dim when the commentary is stale in game. Idk the logistics but Iím guessing this is due to their schedules.

I think for the PS5, they really need to consider hiring local (even unknown) guys who can really put the time in to deliver exceptional commentary.

To me, I donít need a big name broadcaster if it comes at the mercy of it sounding great in-game.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »