Home

Timing hitting back?

This is a discussion on Timing hitting back? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-03-2022, 06:49 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Timing hitting back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doyoueven85
I’m pretty sure that unless you chose a influence with directional hitting the pci would remain dead center. This is why it would be so difficult to hit pitches say at the top or bottom of the strike zone and nearly impossible to hit something outside the zone. With timing the pci is moved with the pitch based on user’s timing and player ratings. I will say that timing has the smallest timing window while zone has the largest.

What I posted earlier is a direct quote from a game dev. With directional hitting if you don't influence the swing the game will do it for you. That means that the pci might move from center or it might not.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:01 PM   #34
Rookie

Doyoueven85's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm
What I posted earlier is a direct quote from a game dev. With directional hitting if you don't influence the swing the game will do it for you. That means that the pci might move from center or it might not.
Yea I’m not sure then. I’m not sure what the reasoning of putting timing hitting back into the game if there’s no difference. I’ll assume there has to be one. I’m just not sure what that is yet.
Old 04-03-2022, 07:21 PM   #35
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

I don't have data or anything to back it up. But I did try Directional last year (both online and offline) and didn't really get the results I wanted. It felt like if pitches were on the edges of the zone, I was never going to get solid contact. And would foul a lot. And anything off the plate was even worse. I eventually settled on Pure Analog.

When the Tech Test came out, I used Timing. And it felt MUCH better to me. I hit the ball much more solidly against the CPU and against other players. It could be placebo, though.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-03-2022, 08:51 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 7

SO GLAD TRUE TIMING ONLY IS BACK!

It’s a return to the glory days of baseball sims like High Heat Baseball. Love it!!!
Old 04-03-2022, 09:31 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
I love it. I think its better then directional because it based on your timing. I would love to her your thoughts
I am going to try timing, but I think I will end up sticking withy directional, because I have been using it since the 2K days. It’s different, in that 2K had the hints that would tell you what quadrant to look for. It didn’t happen all the time, and the better hitters got tipped more often. It absolutely differentiated hitters in a realistic way.

It was SO much easier to hit with Pujols, and it felt right, because hitters like Pujols are just quicker, they just have that sense of what a pitcher is going to throw and where before they do.

In 22, I turned on a inside pitch with Goldschmidt the other day, and it was just awesome. I also like to try to beat the shift sometimes, and directional is good for hit and runs.

But I do like the idea of the game taking over that to some degree. But it’s like throwing. I want to choose the base, but I don’t want to time the buttons. Heck, I even go with classic pitching for the same reason.

Wouldn’t mind if Sony lifted the batter’s eye feature from 2K.
Old 04-03-2022, 10:11 PM   #38
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDaniel
SO GLAD TRUE TIMING ONLY IS BACK!

It’s a return to the glory days of baseball sims like High Heat Baseball. Love it!!!
Highheat was zone hitting.
Old 04-04-2022, 03:38 AM   #39
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm
Isn't timing and directional the same thing, minus the ability to influence the swing? Either way, the devs have said in the past that with traditional directional hitting that you're always better off to not influence the swing, so essentially wouldn't that be the same thing as timing?

Did they actually say that? That would explain why I’ve always done better when I didn’t try to influence where I hit the ball vs the times I struggled trying to pull the ball or go the other way. That’s extremely weird but definitely answers a lot of questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets
Old 04-04-2022, 03:47 AM   #40
MVP

AUTiger1's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
I am going to try timing, but I think I will end up sticking withy directional, because I have been using it since the 2K days. It’s different, in that 2K had the hints that would tell you what quadrant to look for. It didn’t happen all the time, and the better hitters got tipped more often. It absolutely differentiated hitters in a realistic way.

It was SO much easier to hit with Pujols, and it felt right, because hitters like Pujols are just quicker, they just have that sense of what a pitcher is going to throw and where before they do.

In 22, I turned on a inside pitch with Goldschmidt the other day, and it was just awesome. I also like to try to beat the shift sometimes, and directional is good for hit and runs.

But I do like the idea of the game taking over that to some degree. But it’s like throwing. I want to choose the base, but I don’t want to time the buttons. Heck, I even go with classic pitching for the same reason.

Wouldn’t mind if Sony lifted the batter’s eye feature from 2K.

I was thinking about the hitter’s eye thing MVP had. That was really cool. It made you really try hard to tell what the pitch was out of the pitcher’s hand. The Show you can sometimes guess what the pitch is out of the pitcher’s hand and know where it will end up, but it’s not often. Makes it so extremely difficult to lay off those pitches that start out as a strike and ends up as a ball out of the zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Detroit Red Wings
Winnipeg Jets

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »