Home

UFC 101: Declaration - August 8th in Philadelphia

This is a discussion on UFC 101: Declaration - August 8th in Philadelphia within the MMA Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-15-2009, 12:51 AM   #25

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52
Re: UFC 101: Declaration - August 8th in Philadelphia

Quote:
Originally Posted by trojan49er
He didnt have to drop down to 155 because he couldnt hack it, 155 is his natural weight class, thats like saying sherk dropped because he couldnt hack it or saying KenFlo dropped to 155 because he couldnt hack it at 185 or 170, same with diego (granted 170 is more natural for him, he's just smaller than a lot of the elite contenders) or saying Rashad dropped to 205 because he couldnt hack it as a heavyweight...hell, Rashad could probably make 185 if he wanted to. BJ was the 170 champ, the reason he got the rematch with GSP was because he had put on a clinic starting with Pulver, then going right through Sherk and Stevenson. At the time, Florian wasnt considered to be a worthy challenger and the money was in a rematch of a very close, VERY controversial fight between two of the best fighters in the sport, both of whom were/are the WW champ. The only reason BJ moved up to 170 in the first place was that the UFC disbanded their 155 division. Also, at the time, there wasnt really a #1 contender for GSP's title. It was the perfect time to set up the rematch both becuase of the fighters' situations and because of the inevitable cash cow that was the rematch. Based on your given reason for Penn being overrated, Rashad, Sherk, Diego, KenFlo, Penn, Couture, Franklin, Bisping, Henderson, and Wanderlei are all overrated
Save your breath, Timmay has a never ending hatred for Penn and there isnt anything anyone will say to change that. Hes like those fans that refuse to acknowledge anything a fighter has done because theyre judgement is so clouded by their hatred for said fighter. Im a Penn fan so Im cheering for him to win but my desire to see him absolutely demolish Florian is in large part to stick it to Timmay and his man crush.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2009, 02:03 AM   #26
All Star

Gibbz's Arena

OVR: 24

Silva-Griffin has me pumped, but I have almost zero interest in the rest of the fights.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:51 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
Save your breath, Timmay has a never ending hatred for Penn and there isnt anything anyone will say to change that. Hes like those fans that refuse to acknowledge anything a fighter has done because theyre judgement is so clouded by their hatred for said fighter. Im a Penn fan so Im cheering for him to win but my desire to see him absolutely demolish Florian is in large part to stick it to Timmay and his man crush.
I'm just saying that his reasoning for calling Penn overrated rationally renders his man crush Florian equally, if not more overrated as he dropped 2 weight classes because he "couldnt hack it"
Old 07-15-2009, 02:55 AM   #28
Rookie

Bona Fide's Arena

OVR: 6

Awesome card. Very excited for Penn-Florian and Silva-Griffin fights. Neer-Pelegrino has awesome potential to be fight of the night, and there are some good matches on the undercard. Very much looking forward to this.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #29
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Do I even know you? I don't recall ever talking to you on this forum yet you seem to act like you know who I am... While being quite wrong.
Old 07-15-2009, 02:02 PM   #30

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
Do I even know you? I don't recall ever talking to you on this forum yet you seem to act like you know who I am... While being quite wrong.
How exactly am I wrong? Ive seen you time and time again refer to Penn as overrated. Ive seen you voice how you cant stand Penn on multiple occasions, Ive seen you cheer whenever Penn has lost so how exactly could I be wrong when I said you had a hatred for him? I noticed that you didnt address what the other poster said, I guess having to hold your man crush to the same standards as you hold Penn to would show a flaw in your thinking so I guess its best to avoid that at all costs. I cant wait to hear you explain to me what I was wrong about.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:34 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 29

If you decide to speak like an adult and drop the idiotic mancrush BS, then maybe I'll respond to you. Until then, I'm going to consider you nothing but a troll.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-15-2009, 09:51 PM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
How exactly am I wrong? Ive seen you time and time again refer to Penn as overrated. Ive seen you voice how you cant stand Penn on multiple occasions, Ive seen you cheer whenever Penn has lost so how exactly could I be wrong when I said you had a hatred for him? I noticed that you didnt address what the other poster said, I guess having to hold your man crush to the same standards as you hold Penn to would show a flaw in your thinking so I guess its best to avoid that at all costs. I cant wait to hear you explain to me what I was wrong about.
Huzzah!

Timmay, if you cant give me a logical, well thought out argument for Penn being overrated that you back up with facts, then thats all well and good, but as of now, you're just hating on Penn without a logical basis for it.

Now, I will grant you this, when Penn isnt motivated or focused, he loses fights he shouldnt. But a motivated, focused, in shape BJ Penn is a dangerous opponent for anyone in either 155 or 170 outside of GSP, and he's proven that. His only losses at 170 were to GSP twice and Hughes when Hughes was WW champ.

Florian's problems come when he gets into a disadvantageous position on the ground. Diego used superior size and strength to TKO him, Sherk used superior size, strength, and wrestling to maul Florian. We've already seen what happens when Sherk tried to take down and outwrestle BJ Penn...he got outclassed, Florian had the majority of a 25:00 minute decision to do something on he ground and all he accomplished was cutting Sherk open and then get mauled for the next 4 rounds.

Now, I'm not saying Florian isnt a great fighter, or that he doesnt have a chance, but if Penn comes prepared, Florian's only shot is to utilize the clinch and wear BJ out. Neither fighter has ever been subbed, and both have good bjj, but Penn is a former world champ, and a stronger wrestler.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > MMA Forum »