Home

Defensive Help, Tips

This is a discussion on Defensive Help, Tips within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-09-2014, 04:31 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: Defensive Help, Tips

Has any one tried the new asset rebounding setting that is in the controller settings?
Old 10-09-2014, 04:35 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 9

^^^^

This! I bump up to 85 and it feels about right. You will still get beat on glass.

Just hate how that is just 10-12 run points for CPU
Old 10-09-2014, 04:49 PM   #35
Live your life

Gotmadskillzson's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
any suggestions on settings to make help defense more aggressive?
This right here....

Because to me Protect The Paint don't seem to be working at all. I get beat and the guy drives down the lane uncontested because nobody comes over to help out.

I even put help defense on 100 and it still didn't help out what so ever.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2014, 02:32 AM   #36
Banned

I know it was talked about some in hear but can someone explain the defensive settings a little more? For on ball pressure you have gap, moderate, tight, smother what do those all do? I have no clue what gap or smother is. For off ball pressure you have again gap, moderate, tight and deny. Force direction you have baseline and middle how do you guys set that up? I kind of know what it dose but how do you use that to help? Screen you have go under, go over, switch, ice. What does ice do? Hedge you have no hedge, soft hedge hard hedge what do those all do? For post you have behind, 3/4 top, 3/4 bottom and front. What dose 3/4 top and bottom do?
Old 10-10-2014, 03:22 AM   #37
All Star

HMcCoy's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkknightrises
I know it was talked about some in hear but can someone explain the defensive settings a little more? For on ball pressure you have gap, moderate, tight, smother what do those all do? I have no clue what gap or smother is. For off ball pressure you have again gap, moderate, tight and deny. Force direction you have baseline and middle how do you guys set that up? I kind of know what it dose but how do you use that to help? Screen you have go under, go over, switch, ice. What does ice do? Hedge you have no hedge, soft hedge hard hedge what do those all do? For post you have behind, 3/4 top, 3/4 bottom and front. What dose 3/4 top and bottom do?
- Gap, moderate etc are just simply distances to the ball handler. Gap is farthest away, daring them to shoot and leaving a lot of space to cut off drives, smother is the closest, you will try to always be in contact with the handler, being physical. Off ball is the same, Gap meaning you sag way off (good for help defenders) Deny meaning you are smothering them at all times, trying to stop them from even recieving a pass.

so:
Gap = sag off (concedes the jumper)
Moderate = medium distance
Tight = play close to man
Smother/Deny = play physical, make them feel you (concedes the drive)

- Icing a pick means smothering the ball handler before the pick is set. Basically overloading the direction the ballhandler needs to go to use the pick. Icing a pick anticipates the screen, and blitzes the ballhandler before he can even use it, but also gives the ballhandler a huge driving lane to the opposite side. This is a good strategy for forcing the ball handler towards the sideline/baseline, since icing is best against picks set up to let the handler attack the middle. Use ice for guys who constantly call pick and rolls to drive down the center of the lane.

- 3/4'ing the post means defending the posted player from the side (one foot in front, one in back) so you can attempt to swat away the entry pass. "Top" means you are on the high post side, "bottom" means you are on his baseline side. This should be based on where the entry pass usually comes from. If the opponent likes to feed the post from above the foul line, use top. If he likes to feed the post from the corner or deepper wing, use the bottom.

Last edited by HMcCoy; 10-10-2014 at 03:25 AM.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:49 AM   #38
Banned

I just never can play defensive in NBA 2K games. I like that the CPU will try to take pull up jump shoots this year unlike that year but I just cant stay infornt off any one. I just played a game me lakers vs cavs on pro simulation and the CPU had 74 points and that was even with setting MY POE to stop the paint most of the game and they shoot 58% for the game.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:52 AM   #39
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpterp22
^^^^

This! I bump up to 85 and it feels about right. You will still get beat on glass.

Just hate how that is just 10-12 run points for CPU

Oh ok I will try that even though I am not getting killed on the boards. My last game I had 12 offisve rebounds and the CPU had 13 and that was with it at 50 but that is on just pro simulation.
Old 10-10-2014, 04:05 AM   #40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMcCoy
- Gap, moderate etc are just simply distances to the ball handler. Gap is farthest away, daring them to shoot and leaving a lot of space to cut off drives, smother is the closest, you will try to always be in contact with the handler, being physical. Off ball is the same, Gap meaning you sag way off (good for help defenders) Deny meaning you are smothering them at all times, trying to stop them from even recieving a pass.

so:
Gap = sag off (concedes the jumper)
Moderate = medium distance
Tight = play close to man
Smother/Deny = play physical, make them feel you (concedes the drive)

- Icing a pick means smothering the ball handler before the pick is set. Basically overloading the direction the ballhandler needs to go to use the pick. Icing a pick anticipates the screen, and blitzes the ballhandler before he can even use it, but also gives the ballhandler a huge driving lane to the opposite side. This is a good strategy for forcing the ball handler towards the sideline/baseline, since icing is best against picks set up to let the handler attack the middle. Use ice for guys who constantly call pick and rolls to drive down the center of the lane.

- 3/4'ing the post means defending the posted player from the side (one foot in front, one in back) so you can attempt to swat away the entry pass. "Top" means you are on the high post side, "bottom" means you are on his baseline side. This should be based on where the entry pass usually comes from. If the opponent likes to feed the post from above the foul line, use top. If he likes to feed the post from the corner or deepper wing, use the bottom.

WOW that is a lot to think about. Could you give some example for how you would set all the settings agest certain players when you are playing the CPU? Also have you noticed a different with what you have the POE set to? I noticed no difference not matter if I have it set to Paint or jump shoots or rebounding or what ever.

Last edited by darkknightrises; 10-10-2014 at 04:10 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »