Home

Defensive Help, Tips

This is a discussion on Defensive Help, Tips within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-08-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
Rookie

zrtelford's Arena

OVR: 3
Defensive Help, Tips

As the title states, could we get a thread that we can add defensive tips and hints. I play on Allstar Sim, and I give up WAY to high of a fg percentage. I tend to get lost at times on D, or I tend to have guys on the perimeter getting open looks too often. which results in me giving up 110-120 pts per game on 11min quarters. FG% hovering around 55-58% Maybe there are some simple settings I can adjust, any help would be appreciated by not only me I assume. thanks in advance.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
Rookie

dmankey1's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Defensive Help, Tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrtelford
I tend to get lost at times on D
This happens to me as well. I try to stay with one defender during the offensive possession and that usually helps. When I start switching players every time they pass the ball then it causes trouble for me. On some occasions I will switch but usually in situations where their tempo as slowed and it doesn't cause a "jerky" transition
Old 10-08-2014, 02:13 PM   #3
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

On Ball Defense TIPS

*Watch the 2kU tutorial on defense if you haven't
*Pressing the Left Stick fully in a direction is not an option. Your character will have a lot of startup frames before they take a step. Tap the stick all the way one full direction and you'll see that their leg moves a little bit, but you have to HOLD the direction to get an input, which is the dreaded "laggy" on ball defense. Stop doing this
*You have TWO basic options for defense-
-Lightly touching the stick will move your player with reliable safe shuffling
-LT modifier plus Turbo will move your player with FASTER shuffling: Two Trigger Defensive Shuffle (TTDF)

IMO, every other option is bad and has either too much startup or recover animation. I'd stay away from the R Stick step. You can't recover and change directions from it. The two above methods allow you to change directions

WHEN TO USE EACH OF YOUR TWO OPTIONS

Pay attention to the ball hand of your opponent. If you anticipate that they will move toward the ball hand, use your L-Stick Feathering technique. If they crossover, you can stick with the L-Stick if you anticipated it, but if you didn't, switch to the Two Trigger Defensive Shuffle.

Stay about an arm away from your man and focus on where he's going, not where he is. If he pulls up, use the TTDF and move towards him. If you're close, this will probably be enough, but if you think you need more use the Right Stick or Y button to contest. Being near your opponent is not enough for a shot contest in this game. Must get a hand up.

Don't be tempted to over do it with the TTDF. Use it as a counter to their big move, but not as a way to simply guard. If you TTDF first, you'll likely have to apologize to your teammates.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
2K OL Legend

amedawg00's Arena

OVR: 15

Tips from czar

[XLSL SIX NBA 2K11 Champion]

[NSBA SIV NBA 2K11 Champion]

[NSBA SVI NBA 2K12 Champion]

[SCH SI NBA 2K15 Champion]

[SCH SII NBA 2K15 Champion]

[SCH SIII NBA 2K15 Champion]

[SCH SIV NBA 2K16 Champion]

[SCH SV NBA 2K18 Champion]
Old 10-08-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 0

Any tips for block shots? I can't block a shot to save my life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-08-2014, 04:24 PM   #6
Rookie

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBF24
Any tips for block shots? I can't block a shot to save my life.
Blocking shots is really tough. You just have to time it perfect or take advantage of a player who is on a longer shooting animation. Even using Ibaka, Brow, Dieng and other good shot blockers, I'm never able to meet guys at the summit and reject them. I'm really considering bumping the block slider up at this point.

In general, the CPU (on All-Star sim for me) makes a lot of contested shots. They've been shooting over 50 percent against me. Take away some of those contested looks and it'd be more realistic.

I do have a lot of success sliding with left trigger and utilizing right trigger at times. You have to anticipate the drive and then be ready to use the right stick to contest. I've been in tight position and then used triangle to block and been called for shooting fouls (once again, so tough to block shots).

I control off the ball a lot because my CPU teammates are always getting out of position. I believe it's because the 4-5 guys are always picking up their man around the 3-point line instead of just being in position near the paint waiting for them to come to them. It gets them so they're scrambling and that always means they'll get lost. Other than that they will switch at odd times. Be mindful for who is helping from where off the ball. There seems to be much more weakside defenders sliding into the paint but the issue is, sometimes it'll be a 2-3 leaving an open 3-point shooter (even if a 4-5 is in a spot where it should be them sliding over.

Playing D for me is just trying to switch around from defender to defender to slide guys to the right spot. It makes it real tough and can be frustrating if you do everything right only to have a CPU guy hit contested 12-footer that seems predetermined to go in.

I've lost a few games because of this, but only with teams I'm not used to playing with. I usually play with OKC and know them so well offensively, I can always outscore someone with them.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
MVP

swac07's Arena

OVR: 4

Feathering wth the right stick also it causes your player/defender to do a mini scoot (unlike 2k14 which caused the defender to do a side hop)either left or right helps alot too. I watched the 2ku def tut and found this out. Its helped me on def....im still not shutting players down on off how I would like but I am staying with them better than when i first started playing
Old 10-08-2014, 05:13 PM   #8
Pro

ruxpinke's Arena

OVR: 3

where can i find the 2ku tutorial?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »