Home

NBA 2k11...is it the best 2k?

This is a discussion on NBA 2k11...is it the best 2k? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-11-2016, 02:02 PM   #81
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: NBA 2k11...is it the best 2k?

I'm not saying 2K11 is best one but lots of lastgen titles were damn good, playable and while they had issues they were enjoyable and sim-oriented as much as possible. I'm not at all impressed with nextgen 2K, while graphics are good everything else is mediocre, maybe 2K16 out of box without patches was best so far next gen title but after 1st one it all went downhill. I don't feel this nextgen basketball at all, 2K went mainstream soo much, soo obvious & so corny like Kendrick Lamar mainstream..smh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHI1hGvWRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v6JUzxWoGw
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-11-2016, 06:01 PM   #82
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
I was just thinking, and this is a VERY serious question. Do you all believe that NBA 2K11 was a great game, because there wasn't a lot players back them who wanted to exploit it? Let's think about this for moment. NBA 2K11 "only" sold 4M as February 2011. NBA 2K16 sold 4M in the first WEEK. Plus, EA had arguably their best NBA Live to date in 10.

I only ask this question, because NBA 2K11 did have its share of genuine game breaking exploits. However, it seems that the general gaming community at the time was more interested in exploiting the MyPlayer mode. Do you all think that NBA 2K11 could maintain it's "classic" appeal if the same gamers we have now was playing it back then?
The gamers were exactly the same imo. I have 11 as one of my favorites but it definitely wasn't because of crew (the "community"). That mode was filled with the "7' sf hop stepping from the free throw line to standing dunk", spin dunk, double spin dunk, stepback corner 3, 1-3-1 zone with javale in the middle deflecting and blocking everything, and probably some more i've forgotten by now, pretty sure there was a eurostep exploit at some point as well and even unstoppable oops. That is if you could get a game in the first place: waiting 30 mins for a match, game freezing when you actually got one.

Of course you had the occasional enjoyable game against like minded players but that was definitely the exception, not the rule. If anything i've personally encountered less cheese in pro am than i used to in crew. Maybe i've just been lucky this year but i doubt it.
Old 05-12-2016, 12:18 AM   #83
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76
I was just thinking, and this is a VERY serious question. Do you all believe that NBA 2K11 was a great game, because there wasn't a lot players back them who wanted to exploit it? Let's think about this for moment. NBA 2K11 "only" sold 4M as February 2011. NBA 2K16 sold 4M in the first WEEK. Plus, EA had arguably their best NBA Live to date in 10.

I only ask this question, because NBA 2K11 did have its share of genuine game breaking exploits. However, it seems that the general gaming community at the time was more interested in exploiting the MyPlayer mode. Do you all think that NBA 2K11 could maintain it's "classic" appeal if the same gamers we have now was playing it back then?
I got to the highest ranking I ever got with the traditional ranking system in 2k11. It got bad near the end...the fact that there are people that will exploit the game, and are 'talented' at doing so was definitely still true back then. One of my last games was against a Heat user who probably 75% of his points off alley oops, it was insane.

NBA2K11 will forever be romanticized for the 'experience' around it IMO. MJ, the challenges, the huge leap from 2K10, crew mode, lobbies. It was a great overall package. The world of gaming was different back then too...there was still a decent community around here as well. Just all added up.

It DEFINITELY had its gameplay issues though....it's all coming back to me looking at these old vids.
Old 05-12-2016, 06:11 AM   #84
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

I just had a memory lane trip through old Lives and 2ks.

We've come a long way. Animations are smoother and foot planting is so much better. Player likeness is better. The only thing I noticed though is that today's games feel so much more sluggish and unresponsive compared to the past. Whereas past games feel more free. It's true some 2k games had you stuck in 2 man animations more. But simply moving around the court felt better . Idk if it's some kind of weight system or what now.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 05-12-2016, 10:26 PM   #85
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle Westbrook
2K14 is the best imo. Then 2K11.
Well, hype... I didn't get a ps4, but I finally did and I got 2k14. I was super hype for it, and yea it was a good game. I really liked the park. I really liked all of the things about their mode. Jackson Ellis haha.

It was mad funny cuz if you made a C he'd still be playing like a guard out there, and he'd always be as tall as your dude. Stuff like that... it's funny. Spike Lee storylines eh... but 2k14 was more balanced, to me, than 15 and 16 as well.

I liked 2k7 kinda, too, even tho it had issues. 2k7 and 2k8 were the last times I played 1v1 ranked on bball games. Had a lot of fun doing that, in leagues and just vs lobby dudes.

College hoops 2k8 tho... I would still play it if I hadn't played it SO MUCH that I know everything about the game.

-Smak
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-12-2016, 11:49 PM   #86
Legend

Tommyklaid's Arena

OVR: 20
Thumbs up Re: NBA 2k11...is it the best 2k?

None of them are great out-of-the-box - some are better than others.

For me, the latest edition of this game is always the best. Maybe it's a little bit of smoke & mirrors when the graphical/visual improvements continue to be the most noticeable change year-over-year.

...but there is no way I would ever go back and play an earlier version of this game...there's no way.

They keep improving imo and with the right slider sets, each game can be tailored to what you need or like.

Next year, it'll only get better. 2K17 let's go

I drink the kool-aid...because it's sooo damn good.
  • MLB The Show 24 - PS5
  • The Elder Scrolls V: SKYRIM - XBOX SERIES X
Old 05-13-2016, 03:14 AM   #87
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommyklaid
None of them are great out-of-the-box - some are better than others.

For me, the latest edition of this game is always the best. Maybe it's a little bit of smoke & mirrors when the graphical/visual improvements continue to be the most noticeable change year-over-year.

...but there is no way I would ever go back and play an earlier version of this game...there's no way.

They keep improving imo and with the right slider sets, each game can be tailored to what you need or like.

Next year, it'll only get better. 2K17 let's go

I drink the kool-aid...because it's sooo damn good.
Spot on. 100% agree.
Old 05-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #88
Banned

Just a question, if it is then what?? I personally believe this trend that 2k is on will ultimately be their demise.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »