Home

Speed With Ball Rating Test (SWB)

This is a discussion on Speed With Ball Rating Test (SWB) within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2016, 06:07 AM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Speed With Ball Rating Test (SWB)

Nobody faster with ball. 90 speed and 90 swb completely different.

ASUS_T00J cihazımdan Tapatalk kullanılarak gönderildi
Old 09-20-2016, 06:26 AM   #34
Rookie

Peninc's Arena

OVR: 7

I understand that in the real world it may not make sense for a player to be faster with the ball than without. However, consider that there may be a method to 2K's madness here. This manipulation of ratings may well be to facilitate elements of gameplay, or to make the game play more naturally.

Personally I'm thinking about close out speeds and chase down blocks and even players off the ball running around like mad ants simply because their speed without the ball rating is significantly higher than us well meaning consumers think is "realistic".

I'd be careful about tampering with the flow of the game as it is right now. Unless I'm 100℅ sure it would only be an improvement.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2016, 06:48 AM   #35
Pro

OVR: 4

There are other ratings who would benefit from a “modifier“ approach, like contested mid/3.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2016, 09:39 AM   #36
Rookie

CBAT's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
Did you factor in the accelration when you tested?
This is the one piece I did not take into account, but would like to at some point. My guess is that it had very little effect, since both players seemed to reach top speed in both scenarios very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmartin86
As somebody who is spending about 18/24 hours each day, dick deep in data while testing three different hypotheses, I found this post to be refreshing.
Glad to to be of service!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSmak
No reason to decrease (check out super awesome logic) just make it cap at... player speed.

This is concerning because it does make you think the shot off dribble rating really is completely different from the regular shot... so some people might be better at shooting a crazy shot than a good shot. Nobody is like that. haha. They needed to give shot creator like 85 75 ratings for shooting and let them have a v small penalty for crazy shots. Not giving them a 90 rating when they are falling away, if that's true... and it seems like it is, with this discovery.

-Smak
This is exactly what I was thinking, but I figured I'd save it for a separate topic, since that is a whole other issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelopedia
I believe the reason is this:

Last year, myself and many others here, had a warranted gripe with Steph Curry being as fast or faster than most of the elite PG's in the NBA when in reality, he isn't that physically gifted.

The Speed with Ball rating allowed 2k to try to more properly rate players speed, but then inflate the SWB rating so that players like Steph could still blow by people and be difficult to cover.
I definitely understand the gripe, but feel that it was implemented poorly. We are not looking for Curry's top speed to be extremely fast with the ball, it is his handles, quickness and ultimately his shooting ability that allows him to get by people so easily. The defenders must stay up on him and then he uses his ball handling skills/quickness/acceleration to blow by them, not his top speed.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:53 PM   #37
Rookie

OVR: 1

My gut is that this is a workaround of some kind, to give some guys the ability to be tough to guard in the open court. It's probably in there because the game engine is not a pure representation of real life and real physics, so there have to be fudge factors.

The tricky part is not knowing what's a fudge factor versus an actual rating. It causes problems, too, with draft class editing, where there are lots of discordant ratings (say, 80 rating for open 3 point shot and 35 rating for open mid-range shot, which is absurd).

Similarly, does anyone know if the contested jump shot ratings are modifiers or pure ratings? Theoretically, the BEST shooters should have a contested shot rating cap at their open shot rating, and all but a couple of players should have fairly dramatic penalties. But we don't know exactly how these ratings work, so we can't make use of edits to craft a better game for ourselves.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:07 PM   #38
Books Nelson Simnation

Bornindamecca's Arena

OVR: 43

The only way Steph Curry with the ball can keep up with Westbrook is if the ball he's holding has a rocket attached to it.
Old 09-20-2016, 01:35 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmmartin86
As somebody who is spending about 18/24 hours each day, dick deep in data while testing three different hypotheses, I found this post to be refreshing.
You a data analyst? That's what I'm studying lol. Maybe I can work for 2K once I graduate
Old 09-20-2016, 01:46 PM   #40
The Real Birdman

Mikelopedia's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBAT
I definitely understand the gripe, but feel that it was implemented poorly. We are not looking for Curry's top speed to be extremely fast with the ball, it is his handles, quickness and ultimately his shooting ability that allows him to get by people so easily. The defenders must stay up on him and then he uses his ball handling skills/quickness/acceleration to blow by them, not his top speed.
Oh I absolutely agree. I wasn't saying I support the way it was implemented, simply that that's what I believe their logic to be. Steph's speed was actually INCREASED throughout the year last year.

PSN: MiiikeMarsh

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »