Home

The Next step for MyCareer

This is a discussion on The Next step for MyCareer within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-28-2015, 11:12 PM   #1
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0
NBA 2k17 MyCareer wishlist

NBA 2k's MyCareer mode is one of the best if not the best career mode in all of sports video games. While it's great it's not perfect here are some ideas that could help it take the next step.

Improving the College experience

2k16's MyCareer was the first time we got to play on college teams in the mode we only got to play for 4 games and couldn't return after our first year. It would really add a lot if we could go back for few years up to 4 years max for those who do not want to be a one and done they could do something similar to what MLB the show does with it's Amateur showcase if you weren't satisfied with how you did you could go back for a year as long as you were still eligible.

The college you choose should be important if you go to a bigger school you'll get more attention if you go to a smaller school you'll get less attention.

Also so it wouldn't get confusing if you stay for a few more years in college whenever you declare for the draft it should always be for the 2016 NBA draft with the current rookies. That means if I stayed two years I would have started college in 2014 as a freshman not 2015. If I stayed all four 4 years My player would have started college in 2012 the great thing about the college games are that they never really mention the year they take place in.

I'd like to see Mock Drafts during college so we can get a clearer picture of where we're projected to go.

Right now in between games it tells you a couple things but it isn't very accurate. This way we can decide if we want to stay another year or declare for the draft.

Choosing an Agent

We should be able to hire/fire an agent that comes with many different benefits. Some guy might be able to get you more money in Free Agency another might be able to get you some of the best endorsement deals. Or you could be represented by your Uncle Billy and play overseas while making commercials for some Japanese energy drink company.

NBA Draft & Combine

(an updated version of this would be great minus the 2k insider glad he's gone :P)

Recently it feels like the whole Pre-draft process has been ignored. We don't even meet with teams before the draft like in previous years for pre draft interviews. After you finish the college games it just skips straight into the draft it really takes away from the immersion and experience of the journey of getting into the NBA.

After you have finished playing the college games and have an agent we should be able to attend the draft combine and other events the Last time we had a draft combine was in 2k11's MyCareer mode I would like to see it return improved with drills and stuff like the vertical jump, bench press, and a lot of other stuff.

It should be optional and players can skip it lots of NBA players have skipped it and it helps those who want to get into the NBA faster.

In addition to the combine we should also be able to attend workouts with other teams and schedule interviews with them.
Pretty much combine the NBA team tryouts from 2k15 and the Pre-Draft interviews from 2k14 and it would be perfect

One thing to keep in mind is you DONT have to attend every workout and you DONT have to interview with every team. Maybe pull off a Kobe or Lonzo Ball and tell teams not to draft you and that won't be attending their workouts. You can even skip them altogether if you want for those who just want to get into the mode faster.

All of this can help raise our draft stock

In the draft let us go in the 1st or 2nd rounds or even go undrafted since 2k12 we've been a guaranteed 1st rounder which takes away a lot of the realism.

If we're a top 10 pick we should have high expectations and expected to contribute to a team right away. You get lots of sponsorship opportunities and lots of media exposure but you also have to perform at a high level. If your a late 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder, or go undrafted you wont have a lot of pressure but will have to work harder for endorsements.

Then the actual draft doesn't really feel like one we don't really get to walk across the stage and shake the commissioners hand. I know we can't really have commentary during the draft and I'm fine with it but can you show a short Pre draft show with Ernie, Kenny, and Shaq?

Then after we get picked have them do a breakdown and analysis

What I want to see is everything here from the start til the end of this video

MLB the Show does it where the announcers give their predictions and analysis about your player when you get drafted even if it is short.

Summer League & Training Camp

Summer league, training camps, and the preseason to help build our overalls that can also be skipped.

In the summer league if your a 1st rounder it's the first time you get to play and fans get to see you, if you're a 2nd rounder or undrafted playing in the summer league you're trying to show everyone that you can play and get an invite to training camp.

Training camp

Hard Knocks NBA edition

Congratulations! you survived the summer league and didn't get cut give us training camp to fight for a spot on the roster and minutes.
If you're a High pick or late 1st rounder your spot might be secure but if you're a 2nd rounder or undrafted you must try not to get cut or risk starting in the D-league.

D-League

Promotions/Demotions from the D-league throughout the season. If you play SF for the Spurs or PG for the Clippers you won't be seeing much NBA action because you are playing backup for Kawhi or CP3 since they are stars. The D-league would help being sent down to develop or if you're just horrible you will be sent down like in 2k10.

MLB the show does this well if you're a struggling rookie or playing behind a star and have a bench role you would split time between AAA and the MLB level during the season. If you go undrafted and can't land a spot on any NBA team and don't want to go overseas you would start the season in the D-league.
http://www.celticsblog.com/2015/10/1...-d-league-time

Euroleague

We should be able to play overseas in the Euroleague. What if you went undrafted and can't get the attention of any NBA team and don't want to play in the D-league. Your player is old and no NBA team wants to sign him or your player acts like Stephon Marbury or Allen Iverson burns a lot of bridges, known as a cancer in the locker room and the NBA wants nothing to do with you.

Spoiler

Playing in the Euroleague should be an option. Also it can be introduced as an alternative to college if you want to skip it like Emmanuel Mudiay or Brandon Jennings did A short 8 game season before the draft combine. The Euroleague teams are in the game let us use them. You're now a professional basketball player.
Spoiler

Coach Sitdowns

I would really like to sit down with the coach and discuss my minutes. Something similar to the GM sit downs in 2k13 but this time with the coach.
"Hey coach I've been playing well off the bench maybe I should get more playing time." or "I've been playing too much and it's harming the team I think you should give someone else a shot.

When you want someone else to get more minutes because you play well with them. "Yo coach you should give [Insert player name here] more time he really helps a lot late in games and can help us get a lot more W's you should really give him more minutes.

I should not be starting ahead of someone rated higher than me and if I go to a different team I should not be guaranteed the starting spot.

Minutes should be dynamic they should go up and down throughout the season. Once you become a starter in the game you're automatically a starter after that no matter what. What If I begin to play bad I should be back on the bench If I have a good couple of games I should be seeing more minutes being locked into minutes that don't change really takes a lot of the realism away.

What if I enjoy helping my team coming off the bench like Manu Ginobli? Being able to ask for a bench role would be great.

Shoe Deals

(James Harden recently signed a $200 Million 13 year contract with Adidas)

We need contract length with shoe companies. Right now you are forced into a lifetime deal with a brand which is pretty unrealstic IMO. Sure players have signed lifetime deals but not an NBA rookie fresh into the league. It should take a while before we do reach a lifetime deal. Before Steph Curry signed to Under Armour he was signed to Nike. Before Kobe was with Nike he had a deal with Adidas. With players signing shoe deals in real life for X amount of years and X amount of money we should also be able to do that in 2k. If you sign with say Under Armour for 4 years and X amount of VC/year you will only be allowed to wear Under Amour shoes for those 4 years.

Upgrading our player

Get rid of the buckets system that we have right now when we upgrade our players. Since 2k15 we've had the buckets and it really takes away a lot of the customization from our player because it bundles everything together and takes away control of how we want to develop them if you could go back to upgrading every attribute individually it would really help out a lot.
Also please stop forcing us to play Mypark in order to unlock more upgrade slots for our player

The Story...
Since 2k14 we've had a storyline in MyCareer ever since a story element was introduced I haven't been much of a fan of it. I like to create multiple players and with a storyline everybody's pretty much gonna end up having the same story which takes out a lot of the replay value from the game. With it also being scripted it takes a lot of control away from the player. Instead I'd like to see different storylines.

For a mode that claims to be an RPG it's disappointing that there are very few choices aside from what to upgrade and MyPark clothing.

Give us CHOICES!!!!AND LOTS OF THEM

A good start would be different backgrounds for our player

The kid from the inner city trying to make the NBA and has to work hard for it.

The guy from the suburbs who tries to prove that he belongs where everyone thinks he was handed everything from the start but actually busts his *** off like everybody else. Something like this

The son of a former player trying to live up to his fathers legacy and maybe pass him.

The international guy who played ball in another country trying to make it in America. Who has a cousin that loves basketball and Bowling

As the game goes on different things should happen what if after playing on the same team for a couple of seasons and tired of losing you sign with a different team.

Expect a lot of boo's when you return wearing a different jersey
Spoiler

A Rivalry with a player that goes way back and you have a history with him? Sure we saw a rivalry playout in 2k14 with Jackson Ellis but it was pretty weak.

What if we're one of the most explosive players in the league and we get injured?

After playing for 20 years we're trying to chase one final ring before it's all said and done?

I'd like to see our player run in the tunnel for those special moments like your first NBA game, big game against a rival team, or in the playoffs.

I'd like to see the game tell the story I want to play MyCareer and really make it MyCareer.

Injuries

Injuries are a part of the game right now our player doesn't get injured and is sort of a cyborg that can take the most hardest hits. The last time I got injured was back in 2k11 Players get injuried and sit out in the NBA it's a part of the game sitting out or playing through it should impact our players. Return the durability stat if it's low you are more injury prone and if it's high you will not get many injuries.

Not the most popular option but what about paying VC to get rid of an injury?

As our players get older their bodies should slow down and injuries occur more often maybe give us an option to turn injuries on or off in the mode.

The Offseason

Sometimes the NBA season is won in the offseason. Right now the game just sims the offseason and goes straight to the start of the next season. What if I want to lose some pounds and get skinnier or bulk up and get more muscles? In the offseason we should be able to workout with other players and improve our game.

Since the season is over our schedule is more open and we're available to do commercials for companies and do more endorsements.

The connections we make with other players using the offday simulator should also help if we have a connection with a few players we should be able to recruit them to team up and form a BIG 3/Fantastic 4/ Fab Five/Sinister Six.

Speaking about the off day simulator we should also be able to make connections in the offseason. Also we should know what's going on around the league during the offseason as well who won the finals, retirements, and Free agent signings.

Free Agency

Free Agency needs some work

Include the salary cap if I ask for more money and the team goes over the cap they might not be able to sign other expensive Free agents.

I'd like to have a better negotiation process similar to what we have in MyGm. I don't like that you can only submit an offer or two. Let me tell my agent what teams I want to meet with and schedule meetings with them in addition to other teams that might want to sign you.

There should be a calendar and let it be a back and forth between you and the team sometimes in some extreme cases you could even hold out signing with a team until the start of the NBA season if you don't like their offer like what Jr Smith and Tristan Thompson did with the Cavaliers.

Let me ask for a no trade clause and let me tell them how many years I want and at what price. Whether or not you get that depends on the agent you have the better he is you have a higher chance that you end with something you like it's a negotiation let us negotiate!

They should try to wine and dine you to convince you to sign with them give us a preview of what the team offers and the projected roster if you join them and how you fit in kind of what 2k14 did with the pre draft interviews and when you got traded.

Contract buyouts should be included if we're a veteran on a losing team and want to go to a contender.

Contract extensions should return like in 2k13 if you like the team you're on and the situation you have let me have sign a contract extension to stay with the team.

Misc Stuff
If I'm a SF let me call plays if I have a point forward.

Show me the Team Intel screen

In MyCareer the Front office AI should have a direction. I want to know if the team is in rebuild mode or making a push for the playoffs. In rebuild mode the team would blow up the roster and part with veterans or bad contracts and attempt to get younger and if it's contending it would try to get a key player or two that could help later on in the playoffs.

It could really help us out and add more realism to MyCareer do I want to be part of a rebuilding project for a few years and tough it out on a couple of bad teams or do I go to a contender and win right away.

Let us choose 1 minute quarters again like in 2k11 it really helped if you wanted to get through a couple of games very fast. Got somewhere you have to go in a few minutes? Play a couple of games on 1 minute quarters.

Also let us sim games in the playoffs many times I've played on teams I don't want to play for and I just wanted to get through the season so I could hit free agency.

Improve the post game press interviews make them in the locker room. If I'm an unknown player maybe I get a reporter or two asking me questions but If I'm a superstar in the league there should be a lot of reporters all over the place like this.

There should be a rumor mill

It's hard to make an NBA roster it's also hard to stay there nothing is easy in the NBA I want it to feel like the real NBA where my job isn't safe I could be on the roster one day or get waived or traded the next day.

Speaking about what's going on around the league how about the return of NBA.COM?

Right now it's pretty hard to keep track of things on what goes on in MyCareer and you've had to rely on social media. Lots of things go on you get lost and can't keep up with what's going on returning NBA.COM would really really help stop the chaos.

Improve the celebration when we win the finals. If I win the finals MVP let my player have an acceptance speech.

Also please give us a locker room celebration with the entire team in there throwing champagne,the media, celebrities etc...
Since we can't have champagne change it to sprite or gatorade

Market size should impact our players

The location of a team impacting your popularity. If I choose to play in a bigger market like New York or LA I will have higher expectations and more pressure to help the team make the playoffs every year. If I choose to play in a smaller market like Utah I will have less pressure on me. Also I might become more popular and well known If I play in a bigger market than a smaller one. Playing in a big market the fans will cheer for you but will also boo you in an instant if you fail to live up to their expectations, in a smaller market they might appreciate you more.

If I get traded can I get an introductory press conference showing me with my new team and showing me wearing my New Jersey.(lol New Jersey)

A silly funny player personality it seems like our player is either too serious or too arrogant why not let him be silly?

A Wildcard like Ron Artest/Metta World Peace (Minus the fights and PG rated)
Spoiler

In the practice facility can you give it the proper team colors? I find it hard to believe that where an NBA team practices all the logos say gatorade on them

Also that dribble course drill would be a nice return

Speaking of courts I'd like to see more customization for MyCourt
How about being able to create an outdoor court on a rooftop?

So.... what do you think can help improve MyCareer?

Last edited by zello144; 08-31-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-28-2015, 11:46 PM   #2
Pro

LO6IX's Arena

Re: The Next step for MyCareer

I'd like to see rewards for holding your matchup below their season averages. I swear we've been begging for years. Also, defensive coverages. Teammates would actually have to play defense for this to happen though. I wanna hear my player, coach a teammate yell "Ice" for example and have a screen show all our coverages for each player instead of us freestyling.

Real contract negotiations. I was disappointed in the whole "Accept, Decline, More money, More minutes" thing. Let us recruit and go through the whole process with our gms. Will I have to take a pay cut to recruit KD or LeBron? My player in 2K16 has a player option, LET ME OPT OUT! If I'm the superstar let me give suggestions on who to trade for or sign since the AI is clearly incompetent when it comes to team building. I end up with Biyombo and Cole Aldrich on almost every single MyCareer this year and the 2017 Warriors have Jeff Green and Larry Sanders at PF and C LOL.
Let us know what the roster will look like after signing. I remember I signed with the Blazers to join LeBron and next thing I know, I'm on a team with a bunch of generated players and LeBron flees.

I agree with you though, especially on having different career paths. No more Spike Lee
Old 12-29-2015, 01:04 AM   #3
Pro

DevSwerve's Arena

This is perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2015, 01:12 AM   #4
MVP

Jrocc23's Arena

OVR: 6

Great post. I would love to see all of this. But you currently can be drafted #1 in the Draft. Does need to be more realistic though and having people fall in the 2nd round and also going undrafted like in the older 2Ks.

NBA 2K11
XtremeXplicit Crew
Ranked

Check us out: http://www.youtube.com/jroccdagameboy
Old 12-29-2015, 01:13 AM   #5
Rookie

Schiltzenberger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by zello144

NBA Draft & Combine
Also make it possible to get drafted #1 overall the last time it was possible was back in 2k13 when Chris smoove did it... since then it's been impossible to get picked first.
What???? getting #1 is quite possible

Agree with a lot of what you said though.
I want to see more of a 'choose your own adventure' style, instead of watching a movie with zero control or being directed down a scripted path.
Then those choices should have a bigger impact on your player.

For example, take the park boost theme and run it through mycareer. So that the HS you choose will give a certain boost and also exclusive animations related to that school. Then the same with college, different boosts and animations.
We've seen the HS jerseys in the park, how about some other clothing related to your college... this is the stuff that gives individual characters their own style etc.
So by the time we get to the NBA and mypark, everyone will have characters that not only play different but look different as well, visually and through animations, even if they are just celebrations.

So each HS and college should have their own celebrations and stuff in the NBA but also a walk and jog for the mypark..... or size ups and dunk packages, I don't know, just something to shake it up a bit more. The attribute caps this year are great but I don't think they go far enough, still a lot of similar players doing similar stuff.

Also, I played park yesterday and is it just me or has it become like patch 4 last year? so many people just run to the corner, step back, fade for 3.....swoosh! yet when you spot up with no one on you and shoot a great open clear shot...... clang!

Last edited by Schiltzenberger; 12-29-2015 at 01:51 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-29-2015, 01:51 AM   #6
Rookie

Ace2734's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevSwerve
This is perfect.

Agree. And I really miss the D-League inclusion.

I'd sacrifice most or even all of the "story" for more focus on the franchise, even in MyCareer the team should be a heavy focus not just a jersey.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:21 AM   #7
Rookie

No more forced/cheesey story/nick name. It was fun for one play through, but subsequent playthroughs I've been doing my best to ignore, "Freak" and skipping cutscenes.

Let us choose the minutes of each quarter/half in highschool/college. Please. Playing 2min quarters sucks.

Let us choose the number of games we play. Let us sim if we want, but I'd rather a whole season. Let us stay in college longer than one year.

Do what NCAA Football did and let us design our High School stadium/uniform. The whole creation engine is already in the game anyway.

No more skipping NBA games please. Let us play the rookie season.

Separate Online/Offline. I have zero desire to play MyPark. Just let me make my character whatever I want him to be if I choose offline mycareer. (You can technically make an offline mycareer now but not all the accessories are available to you and you still have stat caps).

And for the love of god fix the generated rookies. They all look like cave men.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:16 AM   #8
Rookie

IMO, MyCareer doesn't need a storyline. Allowing us to play the games prior to getting drafted is enough. Doesn't even have to be licensed. It allows us to craft the story ourselves.

So we can start at High School, for example. Play lights out, go to a basketball college then aim for #1 draft. Or take it easy, go to a good 'normal' college, get drafted in the low 20s, then suddenly burst into stardom.

What I'd like to see changed most is how attributes are acquired. IMO just remove VC altogether from MyCareer. Instead, use live practices. Make them 15-20 minutes full of drills just like IRL that'll give permanent increases to attributes when done multiple times well.

Also, pre-game we should have shoot-arounds and drills that allow us to acquire boosts/negatives prior to each game . If you have a good pre-game practice, for example, you'll get boosts to various stats, or start the game hot. If you do badly, you might start the game cold, etc...

Finally, I'd like 2K to allow us to actually manage our personal lives, 24 hours at a time. For example, we can choose to sleep 5-6 hours a day only, with the rest spent socialising/getting wasted/get into trouble a la Dennis Rodman. Or we can spend 8+ hours a day doing practices that allow us to progress stats, at a cost to morale. A grumpy player will react badly to foul calls, more prone to flagrant fouls, etc...

I guess what I'm trying to say is I want 2K to expand up on what's behind the scenes of each basketball season, the choices players make and the consequences.

But what I want most is the separation of MyCareer from any and all online stuff.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »