Home

Contested Shot Making. Sim or Not Sim?: A Proposition

This is a discussion on Contested Shot Making. Sim or Not Sim?: A Proposition within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2018, 05:11 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Contested Shot Making. Sim or Not Sim?: A Proposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
Right, but it shouldn't feel that way. That's all I'm saying. They should be trying to replicate the feeling of being the player you're controlling.
Yes. But knocking in 3 or 4 shots with steph or any other good shooter wouldnt feel like you were in rhythm?
Old 08-18-2018, 05:26 PM   #18
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baebae32
Yes. But knocking in 3 or 4 shots with steph or any other good shooter wouldnt feel like you were in rhythm?
Not at all. It's a video game lol, so you can't actually feel what the player is feeling. You can observe that they've made a few shots, but you don't know if that's making them more confident, or if those shots felt great to them as soon as they left their hands. That's why the visual cues (to me) could be a good thing; they can help you get into the mind of the player a little more. Obviously I'm not referring to the way things are currently implemented in the game, but the way they could be.

I assume you've played basketball in real life? Haven't you ever been playing, and your shot just feels on that day? Where every time you shoot, your motion just feels perfect? Or every pass you throw goes exactly where you want it to go? That's the kind of thing I want to be represented here.
Old 08-18-2018, 05:34 PM   #19
Pro

Quote:
Not at all. It's a video game lol, so you can't actually feel what the player is feeling. You can observe that they've made a few shots, but you don't know if that's making them more confident, or if those shots felt great to them as soon as they left their hands. That's why the visual cues (to me) could be a good thing; they can help you get into the mind of the player a little more. Obviously I'm not referring to the way things are currently implemented in the game, but the way they could be.

I assume you've played basketball in real life? Haven't you ever been playing, and your shot just feels on that day? Where every time you shoot, your motion just feels perfect? Or every pass you throw goes exactly where you want it to go? That's the kind of thing I want to be represented here.

Trust me i can understand what you are you saying and i understand the case for visual cues. My thinking against the need for visual cues is that they come off as too video game-y for my liking. Its just a preference. M

Yes. I have played basketball in both college and professionally (getting to ready to head to training camp in a few weeks).
Old 08-18-2018, 08:41 PM   #20
Pro

Contested Shot Making. Sim or Not Sim?: A Proposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baebae32
Lol the mathematics are the limits faced by this being a video game. Its all a bunch of code

I don’t understand why people need all these visual cues.

Basketball, real basketball, doesn’t have visual clues to let guys know when or how to do something, they just “feel” it.

If you can’t feel the rhythm of the game, maybe that would be all the skills gap needed.
There are plenty of people in this community that can feel the rhythm of the game without unnecessary visual aids.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-18-2018, 09:01 PM   #21
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg811
I don’t understand why people need all these visual cues.

Basketball, real basketball, doesn’t have visual clues to let guys know when or how to do something, they just “feel” it.

If you can’t feel the rhythm of the game, maybe that would be all the skills gap needed.
There are plenty of people in this community that can feel the rhythm of the game without unnecessary visual aids.

There is no feeling of rhythm in the game. That's the point. It's just a bunch of code; there is no possible way to get into the player's head in a video game. A visual cue can let the player say, "Hey, I'm feeling it right now." It doesn't have to provide a stat boost or anything unrealistic.

I think that's where the disconnect is; everyone equates anything on the screen with an increase in ratings because that's what they've done in the past. That's not at all what I want.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2018, 12:49 AM   #22
Banned

Housh123's Arena

I think knowing you’re release should be KING. I never want to see a 2k where just because your open you get a boost. With that said Swante from YouTube has a good system. Smother and heavily contested shots should get in 1% of the time. If you shoot 100 you should hit 1 TOPS.

Medium and light contests should be barely affected but still only sharps should even hit those with any consistency. This system will make it so ppl who know their release AND get open will have higher %s. In 2k18 i really felt like bad shooters could go off on heavy contests consistently. I saw too many YouTube videos of sharps being HEAVILY contested and GREENING. To me that is game breaking and crazy

Old 08-19-2018, 12:51 AM   #23
NBA Ratings Wizard

OVR: 14

Quote:
There is no feeling of rhythm in the game. That's the point. It's just a bunch of code; there is no possible way to get into the player's head in a video game. A visual cue can let the player say, "Hey, I'm feeling it right now." It doesn't have to provide a stat boost or anything unrealistic.

I think that's where the disconnect is; everyone equates anything on the screen with an increase in ratings because that's what they've done in the past. That's not at all what I want.
If the only purpose is to merely inform about hot or cold streaks without any actual changes on the player, then those icons should only exist in a menu like the substitution screen and/or box score. The reason the floating icons are there now is because they mean stat increases or decreases. In general, people don't like floating icons because it means distracting visual clutter, just look at all the debates about the shot meters. So really, they should only exist if absolutely necessary.

Sonicmage NBA 2K18 Ratings 2017-18 season
Link to Ratings 1996-2017
Link to Ratings 1973-1996
Link to Ratings All-time

Discussion found here
Old 08-19-2018, 01:00 AM   #24
Banned

Housh123's Arena

Idk about you but i know when I’m in a good shooting rhythm. Iv gone 10/10 in the pro am from 3 before on my stretch playmaker.

I don’t need a visual aid to tell me when I’m more likely to hit a shot

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »