Home

Player Movement - Lets have a serious discussion

This is a discussion on Player Movement - Lets have a serious discussion within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2018, 10:00 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Player Movement - Lets have a serious discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
Should i change all of the min/max speed sliders to 75 (max) and 50 (min)?

Or just speed with ball and acceleration with ball

Thanks!
All of them.

No problem.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:07 PM   #18
MVP

Tried it out a bit and player movement feels good, some thoughts for taking it even further, if anyone wants to experiment:

-Can we tweak the Lateral Quickness slider to get rid of the moving through mud feeling on defense?

-Can we tweak the play passing lane/go for on ball steal tendency to bring steals down to a more realistic level, as well as eliminate some of the excessive reaching by the CPU?

-Can we tweak the Contest Shot tendency to get CPU teammates to actually put their hands up instead of getting shot over all the time?
Old 09-17-2018, 11:23 PM   #19
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

It does look a bit more realistic in certain ways, Davis at one point though was seriously flying bringing the ball down the court.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:44 AM   #20
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by olajuwon34
It does look a bit more realistic in certain ways, Davis at one point though was seriously flying bringing the ball down the court.

I understand that concern, but these are some of the best athletes in the world. Davis IS fast going up and down the floor, he should be able to book it, even with the dribble.

Davis Robinson used to do the same thing.

The thing is, even with the dribble these guys are fast up and down the floor. They have long strides, can dribble, and have speed. That's why the pace in these sliders is so important, because we want it to emulate the real speed/acceleration of some of the best athletes in the world.

Also note: The Pelicans gameplay video I displayed was before I lowered speed with ball a bit. I had it at an 80-60 split, and lowered it to 75-50. Davis can run the floor with the best of them in real life, he should be fast moving up and down the floor.

Last edited by RetroDee4Three; 09-18-2018 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-18-2018, 12:46 AM   #21
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWrestling3
Tried it out a bit and player movement feels good, some thoughts for taking it even further, if anyone wants to experiment:

-Can we tweak the Lateral Quickness slider to get rid of the moving through mud feeling on defense?

-Can we tweak the play passing lane/go for on ball steal tendency to bring steals down to a more realistic level, as well as eliminate some of the excessive reaching by the CPU?

-Can we tweak the Contest Shot tendency to get CPU teammates to actually put their hands up instead of getting shot over all the time?

Let me see what I can do.

My biggest concern with NBA 2K19 was the player movement. That was the goal of these sliders, and I am really happy with the results. The game didn't feel good to me at all with the default sliders (No matter which difficulty you played on).

I'll mess with things and report back. Thanks for the suggestions
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-18-2018, 01:16 AM   #22
Rookie

antdoggydogg's Arena

The stutter-skating is definitely noticeable during gameplay, not just replay. I think player movement should follow a more strict set of rules which only allows them to move as far as their footsteps dictate. Sometimes it seems like players are just following a predetermined path and arriving to their location at a predetermined speed, with no regard to their footwork. They warp to the spot almost.

Here is an example that just happened to me. This was a wide open 3-point opportunity that closed because of an unnatural slide by Curry:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuhXaSR4D1_QiROisbpLXwxisrzB
Old 09-18-2018, 01:19 AM   #23
Rookie

Fredette's Arena

"Invisible walls around player" <--- Oh yes and i really hate it that i get stuck with my player and for one or two seconds can't move him, it looks so awkward and CPU gets advantage because of this.

Hopefully they will patch it or must we wait until NBA2K20?
Old 09-18-2018, 01:26 AM   #24
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by antdoggydogg
The stutter-skating is definitely noticeable during gameplay, not just replay. I think player movement should follow a more strict set of rules which only allows them to move as far as their footsteps dictate. Sometimes it seems like players are just following a predetermined path and arriving to their location at a predetermined speed, with no regard to their footwork. They warp to the spot almost.

Here is an example that just happened to me. This was a wide open 3-point opportunity that closed because of an unnatural slide by Curry:

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AuhXaSR4D1_QiROisbpLXwxisrzB
Absolutely, the game is forcing you into directions a lot. Examples include : being sucked into defenders, forcing you into a layup animation when you are trying to pull up (even if it's like 18 ft out) etc. Combine that with the look and feel of the skating, the action can get ugly and the control can feel lost.

I feel you pain on that Curry situation. For those who said that clipping or sliding (2K had to choose, so they went with sliding) that's not true at all, and I say that with all due respect. The clipping is just as bad in this game as it was in 2K17 and 2K18, I took screenshots of players literally going THROUGH other players, arms going through bodies, heads going through bodies, a lot of clipping in this game.

The new motion system with 2K18 started the skating/floating issues. Intances occurred in other 2Ks, but it wasn't on every play and throughout the game. I think that some foot planting would go a long way in helping the visual appeal, but most important the control we have over the on court action.

My sliders do really well to fix things like speed breaks, acceleration issues, poor pass speeds, and just the overall slow pace that the game is out of the box. But, the skating/sliding/floating issues are part of the game engine, we can't do anything about those, sliders can't and won't be able to fix those problems.

I'm actually enjoying the game a bit now that it has some life, but the skating issue is still seen a lot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »