Home

Is passing the ball a liability in this game?

This is a discussion on Is passing the ball a liability in this game? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2020, 12:50 PM   #17
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Is passing the ball a liability in this game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BasketBalla21
It's a problem if you don't have a gameplan. If you actually put your players in the right spots and use proper teamwork and timing zones are easily beaten. Passing around the perimeter does not beat an aggressive zone. Long defenders can gap their man and still catch a pass to the corner(Kawhi makes a living off of this).

The only reason it SEEMS like zone has OP passing lane defense is because Man 2 Man passing lane defense was nerfed. When you activate zone defense all help defenders watch and face the ball handler. This gives them access to better animations to steal the ball. Man 2 man defense forces off-ball defenders to watch the player they are defending. So even if you time the steal correctly they will most likely just tip it out off bounds or not even reach the ball.

An aggressive zone isn't beaten with just spacing, it's beaten with proper teamwork and timing. It's not the game's fault your passes are getting stolen, it's the player's.
The ball goes directly to the defenders for some unknown reason..nothing to do with a zone

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 07-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #18
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
I'm sure many of you think you're making the right decisions, but you're either not, or your timing is way off.
Look at Kushmir's videos and tell me he's not seeing the game correctly. The only real time where I feel like he makes a rushed read is on the cross-court pass to Richardson, but even then, that's more likely to go out of bounds than end up with Tucker. These are the reads we're talking about. I have no problem admitting it if it's legitimately the incorrect read. The problem is that we're making the right passes, but 2k's logic isn't allowing them through

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
European Football: Manchester United, Brighton & Hove Albion
NCAA: UNI Panthers, Iowa Hawkeyes

Twitter: @mbless625
Old 07-27-2020, 12:57 PM   #19
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
The ball goes directly to the defenders for some unknown reason..nothing to do with a zone

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Right. Zone defense just happens to exacerbate the problem because it's coupled with unrealistic recovery speed thanks to iffy catch animations.

Old 07-27-2020, 01:09 PM   #20
Rookie

BasketBalla21's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb625
Look at Kushmir's videos and tell me he's not seeing the game correctly. The only real time where I feel like he makes a rushed read is on the cross-court pass to Richardson, but even then, that's more likely to go out of bounds than end up with Tucker. These are the reads we're talking about. I have no problem admitting it if it's legitimately the incorrect read. The problem is that we're making the right passes, but 2k's logic isn't allowing them through

I did, and they are stolen by set defenders waiting for a pass(one could have made it but was miss-timed), and the pass to the paint was disrupted by a defender playing good D(should have been a lob pass anyway). It's not out of the ordinary for a defender to make a good play.

Seems like people are examining replays just to look at how the game "cheated" them instead of exhausting all of their options on how things can be done better first.

It might be a hard pill to swallow, but playing against the HOF computer does not build good habits. They don't use proper technique to beat you, the sliders are moved in their favor. Playing Play Now Online does not build good habits. Most people are mediocre and they let you get away with bad habits. Playing normal people online does not mean you have good habits. Most people have bad habits.

Bad habits should be punished. In any game.

Just because you run into an area that punishes you for your bad habits does not mean that area of the game is wrong. Objectivity is key.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:24 PM   #21
DJ2K

mb625's Arena

Quote:
I did, and they are stolen by set defenders waiting for a pass(one could have made it but was miss-timed), and the pass to the paint was disrupted by a defender playing good D(should have been a lob pass anyway). It's not out of the ordinary for a defender to make a good play.

Seems like people are examining replays just to look at how the game "cheated" them instead of exhausting all of their options on how things can be done better first.

It might be a hard pill to swallow, but playing against the HOF computer does not build good habits. They don't use proper technique to beat you, the sliders are moved in their favor. Playing Play Now Online does not build good habits. Most people are mediocre and they let you get away with bad habits. Playing normal people online does not mean you have good habits. Most people have bad habits.

Just because you run into an area that punishes you for your bad habits does not mean that area of the game is wrong. Objectivity is key.
Those clips don't demonstrate "bad habits." They demonstrate instances in which the AI, not necessarily the user, chose the wrong pass. Set defenders or no, when you've got a player that wide open, no NBA player is tossing it right into the defenders hands. They're smart enough to choose the right type of pass for the situation. Icon passing seems to hinder that ability. There's a way through those defenders with Horford underneath the basket. There's a way to avoid Davis' hands with Horford in the corner. The AI didn't choose to find that way. Instead, it threw it to the opponent's hands instead of where it was supposed to go. I've had it happen countless times to me this year, where I beat the user defender on a backdoor cut, let go of triangle when my player has a step and... the AI throws behind him straight to the defender.

Again, if those defenders make a play, and you're right, they absolutely can, that's fantastic. The user defender switches to Davis in the clip with Horford in the corner and steps out to steal the pass going around him? Great! That's perfectly fine. But as it stands, the AI is throwing the ball to the defender rather than the intended target, and there's no amount of reading the game that's going to fix that.

Edit: It should also be noted that we're not coming from a place of "the game cheated me in x, y and z way." We're coming from a place that wants this game simply to behave in a true to life manner. My passer shouldn't be throwing it straight to a defender fifteen feet away from the intended target. Period. You shouldn't just be able to sit in a zone and miraculously be able to have a chance to intercept a pass regardless of which target it's thrown to (which I've legitimately seen players sitting in "center field" spamming steal and getting a favorable outcome regardless of the intended target). Just as their real life counterparts need to make the right decision to make the play, so do defenders in this game, as long as we cannot have complete control over pass types.

Last edited by mb625; 07-27-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2020, 01:29 PM   #22
Rookie

UravenzownU's Arena

OVR: 2

Lol there a reason no nba team plays zone consistently irl
Old 07-27-2020, 01:33 PM   #23
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:

I play 90% offline HOF and the physics are lacking and I understand that. When I make a pass and the defender isn't looking but turns around to pick off the pass that's thrown behind the cutter is a problem.

BUT my player is playing tight D and the CPU makes a pass and my CPU controlled player watches the pass but doesn't respond is another issue..

Why have passing ratings but there is no difference between CP3 and Pat Beveryly?
Old 07-27-2020, 01:37 PM   #24
Rookie

BasketBalla21's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb625
Those clips don't demonstrate "bad habits." They demonstrate instances in which the AI, not necessarily the user, chose the wrong pass. Set defenders or no, when you've got a player that wide open, no NBA player is tossing it right into the defenders hands. They're smart enough to choose the right type of pass for the situation. Icon passing seems to hinder that ability. There's a way through those defenders with Horford underneath the basket. There's a way to avoid Davis' hands with Horford in the corner. The AI didn't choose to find that way. Instead, it threw it to the opponent's hands instead of where it was supposed to go. I've had it happen countless times to me this year, where I beat the user defender on a backdoor cut, let go of triangle when my player has a step and... the AI throws behind him straight to the defender.
If there is a set defender ready to steal the ball then the player is not wide open and most likely the pass shouldn't be made. There is a lob pass but lob passes float. That is why coaches teach against cross court passes. Can you get away with it if the defender isn't paying attention? Sure, but the defenders in 2k while playing zone always pay attention to passing lanes. So throwing those passes is a bad habit you get from playing against other people(and the cpu) with bad habits.

You can't arc a pass when you're posting up on the opposite box by the baseline. If you want to pass from the post you post up in the middle of the floor. Passing over/through 3 defenders is never encouraged. All I see are bad habits and bad timing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »