Home

Twitter and YouTube killed 2K basketball

This is a discussion on Twitter and YouTube killed 2K basketball within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2020, 02:33 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 12
Re: Twitter and YouTube killed 2K basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstrosAllDay85
I’ve said this before but just to reiterate.........

You don’t play online and expect realistic sim basketball.......that is all 🤷🏻*♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
You don't play realistic sim basketball and expect it to be competitive.
Old 09-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #34
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveberg
Even if the mechanics were fixed, the issue isn't the game, it's always the people.

I turned my back on online gaming in this community back in '16 and never looked back. Folk don't wan't to play basketball, they just want to play 'video games' - winning by any means possible to stroke their ego's and keep their names atop of virtual boards, with no regard for sim basketball whatsoever.
I prefer to play against people who try to win by any means possible. The thrill of a win against them is greater than the thrill of winning against the computer or even a simhead. The hurt of a loss against them than that against the CPU and especially against a simhead. With a simhead I'm like "Dah well, the game was over in the 3rd quarter but I still had to play a full 48 minutes, SMH".

I don't want to play against sim-style of play unless they need too. I have more fun playing sim and cheesing doesn't even enter my mind and beating a cheeser with sim is probably the greatest thrill you can get out of the game. The problem is there are not enough negative consequences to cheesing to make the cheeser be forced to play realistically. If I'm playing against someone who uses money plays, great, it forces me to think.

I want competition at the end of the day but its on 2K to make the cheeser play realistically, so that if I'm playing a cheeser, I'm sweeping them away by 20, not beating them by 1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrustie
No it won’t. A.I. will never feel entirely like real humans. Humans will never stop looking for the path of least resistance. We can still hope that gaming companies improve A.I. and mitigate the cheese as best as they can.
This is what I most appreciate about humans when it comes to online gaming.

Last edited by Optik; 09-20-2020 at 02:49 PM.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:01 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
I prefer to play against people who try to win by any means possible.
This is exactly how NBA players think. Everyone tries to "cheese" (break) the system. Winning teams IRL are the ones that find exploits.

Wilt & Shaq spammed the paint, forcing rules changes.
80s/90s teams spammed hand checking.
Mid-90s teams had a college 3pt line.
Guards spammed PNR once freedom of movement was established.
Curry/Lillard pull from 30.
LeBron is playing PG this year.
Giannis is a Point-Center.
Mike D'Antoni finished his 16th season as a head coach.
Literally everything James Harden.

The people who think "SimNation" applies to them largely wouldn't know basketball if one hit them in the head.

Quote:
The problem is there are not enough negative consequences to cheesing to make the cheeser be forced to play realistically. If I'm playing against someone who uses money plays, great, it forces me to think.
There are simulation "elements" to this game but anyone who thinks it has ever been a pure simulation is lying to themselves and you. It's equivalent to thinking Call of Duty is a War-Sim. It's not remotely close, never has been, never will be.

Congrats on buying into a 2003 marketing buzz word. You played yourself.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters

Last edited by Real2KInsider; 09-20-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2020, 04:07 PM   #36
MVP

daveberg's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optik
I prefer to play against people who try to win by any means possible. The thrill of a win against them is greater than the thrill of winning against the computer or even a simhead. The hurt of a loss against them than that against the CPU and especially against a simhead. With a simhead I'm like "Dah well, the game was over in the 3rd quarter but I still had to play a full 48 minutes, SMH".

I don't want to play against sim-style of play unless they need too. I have more fun playing sim and cheesing doesn't even enter my mind and beating a cheeser with sim is probably the greatest thrill you can get out of the game. The problem is there are not enough negative consequences to cheesing to make the cheeser be forced to play realistically. If I'm playing against someone who uses money plays, great, it forces me to think.

I want competition at the end of the day but its on 2K to make the cheeser play realistically, so that if I'm playing a cheeser, I'm sweeping them away by 20, not beating them by 1.

This is what I most appreciate about humans when it comes to online gaming.
I prefer competition from people who can play legit, but that seldom ever happens, hence I'm offline exclusively now. I personally gain nothing but a headache from rolling my eyes at the ludicrous nature of most online players and their antics.

If you can sit through games with folk running around like headless chickens, exploiting stuff and cheesing and get enjoyment out of it - good for you man.

To me, that's not basketball, and I've no desire to play against anyone who rolls that way. Zero immersion, zero realism.

Guess it all depends on what you're looking for out of your experience.
Old 09-20-2020, 04:12 PM   #37
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

OVR: 6

I have no clue what they're doing with these rosters and attributes. Jokic isn't a power dunker, let alone a dunker at all. I played a play now online game earlier where Jokic was basically Shaq.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #38
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverVersatile
I have no clue what they're doing with these rosters and attributes. Jokic isn't a power dunker, let alone a dunker at all. I played a play now online game earlier where Jokic was basically Shaq.
Yeah his ratings are trash. You know who to talk to about that.

2K Roster:
86 Layup, 70 Driving Dunk, 85 Standing Dunk

My Roster:
95 Layup, 55 Driving Dunk, 60 Standing Dunk

He's basically Zach Randolph meets Magic Johnson.
http://youtube.com/real2krosters
Old 09-20-2020, 04:27 PM   #39
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashidi
This is exactly how NBA players think. Everyone tries to "cheese" (break) the system. Winning teams IRL are the ones that find exploits.

Wilt & Shaq spammed the paint, forcing rules changes.
80s/90s teams spammed hand checking.
Mid-90s teams had a college 3pt line.
Guards spammed PNR once freedom of movement was established.
Curry/Lillard pull from 30.
LeBron is playing PG this year.
Giannis is a Point-Center.
Mike D'Antoni finished his 16th season as a head coach.
Literally everything James Harden.

The people who think "SimNation" applies to them largely wouldn't know basketball if one hit them in the head.

There are simulation "elements" to this game but anyone who thinks it has ever been a pure simulation is lying to themselves and you. It's equivalent to thinking Call of Duty is a War-Sim. It's not remotely close, never has been, never will be.

Congrats on buying into a 2003 marketing buzz word. You played yourself.
This doesn't apply to video games where bad ai programming causes the issue. Bad defense is how teams in real life get exploited not the lack of movement and limitations of a programed ai.

Right now transition defense is broken and players are taking advantage of that. Ai defenders run back to a pre programmed spot and literally stop moving.

Old 09-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #40
Pro

ForeverVersatile's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashidi
Yeah his ratings are trash. You know who to talk to about that.

2K Roster:
86 Layup, 70 Driving Dunk, 85 Standing Dunk

My Roster:
95 Layup, 55 Driving Dunk, 60 Standing Dunk

He's basically Zach Randolph meets Magic Johnson.
That's exactly how he should play. They gave him a slim body and turned him into KD.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »