Home

NBA 2K13 Preview - Control Stick, Passing and Real-Time Physics Collision System

This is a discussion on NBA 2K13 Preview - Control Stick, Passing and Real-Time Physics Collision System within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NBA 2K13 Preview - Control Stick, Passing and Real-Time Physics Collision System

Polygon's Samit Sarkar has posted his NBA 2K13 preview, introducing the Control Stick, real-time physics collision system and talking about the improved passing game.

Quote:
Everyone will appreciate the new real-time physics system for collisions, which makes shots in the paint much more dynamic. A player going up for a lay-in can now get realistically bumped by defenders, altering his path through the air — as well as that of his shot. These aren't canned animations for contact; everything depends on the momentum of the players involved.

Another improvement NBA 2K fans will notice is passing, which Visual Concepts acknowledges has been a problem area in the past. "Passing is one of the toughest, toughest aspects of the game," said Jones, and to address it, the team dedicated a gameplay engineer to passing alone. Passes tended to feel floaty, and Jones explained the reason: the game prioritized the appearance of a pass and catch, so it had to keep passes slow in order to ensure that a receiver's hands lined up with the ball's position.

Source - For 'NBA 2K13,' 'accessible' isn't a dirty word (Polygon)
Platform: PC / PS3 / Xbox 360
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
MVP

myownsun's Arena

OVR: 15
Re: NBA 2K13 Preview and First Screenshots (Polygon)

Thank you for the link kind sir.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

OVR: 30

"screenshots" I only see one...unless unless I missed it somewhere on that site...

EDIT:

So how will the shot stick work? MIIIKEE!! Get in here and explain! I have to admit though I did enjoy the right stick dribble on Live 10 but still prefer the shot stick...if they were able to have both at the same time then that would be great!

Quote:
Enter the Control Stick. Visual Concepts mapped all dribble moves onto the right stick in NBA 2K13, and Jones insists the new setup is the way of the future. For one thing, it lets everyone, regardless of their skill level, do awesome moves. "If you just throw the right stick around, you're gonna get cool stuff," said Jones, and indeed, we found it much easier to get around defenders — and look good doing it — by manipulating the right stick. And it allows you to more easily and fluidly chain together dribble moves and shots.
This is worth a mention as well...let's see how its implemented...

Quote:
Everyone will appreciate the new real-time physics system for collisions, which makes shots in the paint much more dynamic. A player going up for a lay-in can now get realistically bumped by defenders, altering his path through the air — as well as that of his shot. These aren't canned animations for contact; everything depends on the momentum of the players involved.

Last edited by Goffs; 08-10-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Everyone will appreciate the new real-time physics system for collisions
Sounds good.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6

Im curious to know how the shot stick will work as well, since it seems like there is a lot of stuff going on with the right stick. Although I suppose a trigger toggle could make that issue non existent. Like shot stick is how it is now, but dribble moves require left or right trigger/button.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #6
New Ork Giants

Goffs's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by barimanlhs
Im curious to know how the shot stick will work as well, since it seems like there is a lot of stuff going on with the right stick. Although I suppose a trigger toggle could make that issue non existent. Like shot stick is how it is now, but dribble moves require left or right trigger/button.
yeah that's what I'm thinking as well...Left Trigger + R-Stick = Shotstick which I'm cool with....

We just need confirmation from Mike

Sweet a bounce pass option!
Quote:
But thanks to those improvements, plus a new control option for user-initiated bounce passes (holding the left trigger and pressing the pass button), NBA 2K13 will let players better direct the flow of the game through passing.

Last edited by Goffs; 08-10-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
MVP

kennyacid's Arena

Goody goody goody!!! I like the changes...the new controls and physics collision system alone adds a freshness that the game has mos def needed. Plus from the developer vid it looks like the jerseys are more tighter. The shorts are still to loose but its nothing. OCT 2nd needs to hurry!!!!
Old 08-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
Madden & NBA 2K fanatic

Joobieo's Arena

OVR: 19
Hopefully passing does get the overhaul it deserves . Way to many times could I not lob over someone's head on a fast break or pass it in between players in the paint when I see it happen all the time in real life .

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »