Home

50(ish) Threshold-based Slider Set for NCAA 14

This is a discussion on 50(ish) Threshold-based Slider Set for NCAA 14 within the NCAA Football Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-02-2015, 09:53 AM   #17
Rookie

jahswill's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: 50(ish) Threshold-based Slider Set for NCAA 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
Too tired for a full write-up, but I played as UVA versus Oregon.

Oregon ran all over me (61-423-2) en route to a 37-21 win. Caveat: Down 27-7 at the half (and they had about 200 on the ground then), I decided to play around with some things just to see....

Random thoughts
  • Oregon's longest run was 21 yards and there were several occasions where DAT failed to bust long ones - close, but he never quite got past the safeties or was just barely tripped from behind.
  • I think the tackle sliders both need to come down a touch - more sample size needed - but see bullet point above.
  • Two of my TDs came on long bombs when trying out 40 thresh (my 91 SPD/92 ACC WR beating the 93 SPD/94 ACC CB by a couple of steps). It was close enough that other ratings likely came into play there. Are very challenging When playing around on 50 thresh....the CB had the advantage....which seems about right.
  • Both teams had very aggressive defenses by coach aggression....safeties charged very hard - in Cover 2, both guys would be right on top of the ball carrier when he passed the front 7.
Going to play 3 more tomorrow with the posted set using a globally-adjusted coach aggression roster. Will explain more in the morning.
This is exactly what I Was alluding to. I can do some testing. What numbers are we going to use? I've been using Jarrod21 black sliders. Which are challenging. But I've been thinking that 50 threshold would close passing windows and tighten the game up which should present a challenge. I just don't know if we can keep the big plays and make it challenging enough for everyone at the same time. I've been playing with RBA at 5 to compensate for better blocking which should spring runners to big gains.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:05 AM   #18
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

Quick question. Have you tried or know what it would do (positive and negative) to have all the user special teams sliders at 0? I saw a YouTube video today of virtual footballer and he has his like that. I'm not tweeting my main play sliders any more. I've been set on them since last year but, I'm still toying with threshold and special teams.

He says it makes kicking more of a challenge but, still realistic. Just wondering.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:11 AM   #19
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by charter04
Quick question. Have you tried or know what it would do (positive and negative) to have all the user special teams sliders at 0? I saw a YouTube video today of virtual footballer and he has his like that. I'm not tweeting my main play sliders any more. I've been set on them since last year but, I'm still toying with threshold and special teams.

He says it makes kicking more of a challenge but, still realistic. Just wondering.
Good question Charter. I think that they affect other facets of the game, but I am frankly not sure. You may be in the best position to test this out...you've been using your base set for so long that you'll probably know pretty quickly if something is off. What you may want to do is test each one individually and try to see if there is some impact.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:14 AM   #20
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Good question Charter. I think that they affect other facets of the game, but I am frankly not sure. You may be in the best position to test this out...you've been using your base set for so long that you'll probably know pretty quickly if something is off. What you may want to do is test each one individually and try to see if there is some impact.

I'm on vacation at the moment so I can't until about next Sunday. Just wanted to see if anyone has tried it yet.

This vacation is really cutting into my slideritis. Lol
Old 08-02-2015, 10:31 AM   #21
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahswill
This is exactly what I Was alluding to. I can do some testing. What numbers are we going to use? I've been using Jarrod21 black sliders. Which are challenging. But I've been thinking that 50 threshold would close passing windows and tighten the game up which should present a challenge. I just don't know if we can keep the big plays and make it challenging enough for everyone at the same time. I've been playing with RBA at 5 to compensate for better blocking which should spring runners to big gains.
Well, I really think that 60 threshold is a little on the high side if we want big plays. That is why I tested it first and it confirmed what I suspected. Now, in Oraeon's research, he proposed that 53-56 thresh was ideal. I think that 50 should be fine.

I do think though that coach sliders are critical. My big issues though with the more "default" setup is the extreme aggression by the defense and poor play calling (especially in the red zone). I'm going to play a few games today using the same roster, but with the following global coach edits:

Offensive aggression: 65 (slider to the right, it will read as 65/35)
Defensive aggression: 50
Defensive run/pass ratio: 50

Rationale:
  • Offensive Aggression -a balance between aggressive and not having the CPU throw 4-verts all the time
  • Defensive Aggression - we used 35 a long time and it's nice, but the defenders don't react as well. I think we can introduce more bad pursuit angles by increasing their aggression
  • Defensive Run/Pass Ratio - I love this setting. Basically, when the CPU is on offense, they stick with their gameplan better. When they are on defense, they play the tendency of the opposing team. Think this isn't sim? Think of it like this, if I was a team that typically focused on stopping the pass, would I still hold to that when playing Navy? No, of course not. This global setting really brings that out.
Edit: withdrawing the slider adjustments for the time being....sorry, but seeing some things that need to be tweaked further before I post.

Last edited by JoshC1977; 08-02-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-02-2015, 11:29 AM   #22
All Star

JoshC1977's Arena

Cheda: You have long been a proponent of a 85/15 Offensive Aggression with 15/85 Defensive Aggression. What do you feel are the risks/benefits relative to the 65/35 - 35/65 setup?
Old 08-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #23
MVP

Chedapalooza's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Cheda: You have long been a proponent of a 85/15 Offensive Aggression with 15/85 Defensive Aggression. What do you feel are the risks/benefits relative to the 65/35 - 35/65 setup?
I always saw the AI simply play more realistic. Aggressive. Fast. Reckless abandon if you will, with that killer instinct. I'd see a variety of animations, especially in the pass game with players leaving their feet on offense and defense.

If u want to send me a globally edited roster for 85/15 and 15/85 with the 50/50 run/pass defense, I will test on it.

I have to say though that I did enjoy the 95 threshold gameplay. Threshold is affecting tackling And runner ability; I can't explain why.. And it's also getting linemen to pull appropriately and get out in front of screens downfield. I saw this a lot watching college games last night when I couldn't sleep I watched two full games... The lineman HAVE to move faster than the RB or WR at times... The RB has to slow play to give the linemen a chance to get out and block. This doesn't seem To happen at any threshold beside 95
WCSU Football '10-'11 WR#87
UCONN HUSKIES Football
D2 Football Coach (receivers) in the PSAC
Old 08-02-2015, 02:40 PM   #24
MVP

jp18's Arena

OVR: 0

I am finally at playing. I decided to start with a completely different approach from the way I normally play. Basically a coach mode style just picking the plays while charting everything. The only user influence was making blocking adjustments for backs when a blitz was coming to see how the ai handles it.

Virginia vs Byu va 50/50 30/70 48/52 Byu 65/35 20/80 50/50
Texas vs Ohio State txs 60/40 25/75 50/50 osu 65/35 30/70

Stats scores etc were unimportant.

Both games combined played much the same.

Run plays 104 total

Charted whether or not I thought the backs and or line made the proper play.
44 runs were good. Mainly the backs on any inside run always cut to the outside when all they really had to do was pound it up in there for 4 instead of losing 3.

60 plays were wrong, mainly bouncing studdering in the hole backs ran with authority.

Overall when we talk about sloppy how sloppy should we have it, line blocking was there, broken tackles were there, bad angles were there but when the run game produces a higher percentage of bad plays they will not be competetive.

120 pass plays average time to sack if sacked 3.7 seconds. Average time pass was thrown 2.7 seconds. Seems pretty realistic but:

76 negative plays qbs didn't force the issue 97% of the time took a safe throw that resulted in 4 yards or less. Qbs were very sketchy several times they had plenty of time but as soon as a scrambling lane opened they were gone. Wrs actually did a pretty decent job of getting open, at least one was open 65% of the time in many cases 2 were open. There were a combined total of 14 drops 70% on 3rd downs killing drives.

Sp teams was the best overall 44 plays and 36 were positive.

I think as is it plays realistic on the defensive side its the ai's inability to make the proper play why that is? I have no clue. We need to not worry so much about some of the stats sloppiness etc and first as josh mentioned previously get the cpu to play at a competent level. Small sample size I know but I can for sure say this set is very similar to what I was plating with yet plays completely different. Had I usered these games it would have been so easy, and not because blocking, tackling, catching, or coverage is off simply the ai.

224 total offensive plays with 136 being negative that has to come down.

Now that I have that off my chest I plan to play to see if it changes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football > NCAA Football Sliders »