Home

This whole "SIMULATION " thing(gray area)

This is a discussion on This whole "SIMULATION " thing(gray area) within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-05-2022, 09:38 AM   #25
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: This whole "SIMULATION " thing(gray area)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCMPunk
The only problem here is AXIS Football added a 32 team NFL like structure for their Franchise Mode and that seems to be fine. Sure that's a game with custom teams and custom players but using your wording, having a Franchise Mode structured like the NFL doesn't seem to be an issue. It does suck that we don't know what the simulation license really means and what games can be made and can not be made.
Axis isn't an NFL game, so it doesn't matter with them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-05-2022, 10:14 AM   #26
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFCMPunk
The only problem here is AXIS Football added a 32 team NFL like structure for their Franchise Mode and that seems to be fine. Sure that's a game with custom teams and custom players but using your wording, having a Franchise Mode structured like the NFL doesn't seem to be an issue. It does suck that we don't know what the simulation license really means and what games can be made and can not be made.
AXIS Football is not a threat to Madden. They do not have real teams. The last I understood, you cannot share your customizations with other people (rosters, teams). 99.9% of people are not going to edit all of the teams and rosters.

AXIS Football is proving what people have asked for from 2K will not work. A fully customizable game without real teams.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 04-05-2022, 01:42 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob
AXIS Football is not a threat to Madden. They do not have real teams. The last I understood, you cannot share your customizations with other people (rosters, teams). 99.9% of people are not going to edit all of the teams and rosters.

AXIS Football is proving what people have asked for from 2K will not work. A fully customizable game without real teams.

I don't think a customizable game would be that profitable for 2k, but I dont think Axis is necessarily proving that. Axis has a team of like 5 people and doesn't exactly offer the type of gameplay that the people asking for a generic 2k game want.

It doesn't really compare to whatever 2k would put out if they made an attempt at that type of game. Going off all other 2k games, it would have AAA quality and Axis doesn't come close to that for obvious reasons.

Now would people be willing to let go of the NFL branding and rosters for the experience the 2k game would provide? I doubt it. The shield is the almighty and Madden is going to win the battle of sales because of that shield.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Old 04-05-2022, 07:10 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 0

2k could reasonably pull off a generic football game if it was marketed properly...they’d have to impress equally on the gameplay and graphical end and simply do things madden just doesn’t...a fully customizable league plus an insanely deep franchise mode should be standard if they were to go that route...look at the music industry and all the garbage thats pumped out every day but hey it makes millions cuz of GOOD MARKETING...if 2k were willing to put their resources into a generic football game and come up with a brilliant marking strategy the game could potentially be a massive success...
Old 04-19-2022, 02:34 PM   #29
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob

I don't think that's fair to say considering AXIS Football plays like a PS2 game. Anything 2k comes out would be light years ahead gameplay wise.
Old 04-19-2022, 03:45 PM   #30
MVP

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy9386
I don't think that's fair to say considering AXIS Football plays like a PS2 game. Anything 2k comes out would be light years ahead gameplay wise.
More like PS1 really. PS2 football games looked and animated MUCH better than AXIS.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:46 PM   #31
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by modinidagr8
So,I was wondering what's considered simulation. Would another ALL PRO FOOTBALL style game be considered simulation even tho it's more FANTASY football than anything.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Operation Sports mobile app
Honestly, I didn't read the whole thread here, so sorry if this is a rehash of information, but check out this article from 2009, defining what a Simulation means in regards to video games.

https://www.alteredgamer.com/pc-gami...t...%20More%20

Personally, I don't interpret Madden as a simulation football game. There was a first person football game for VR a few years back. That is what I would consider a simulation football game, because it was an actual imitation of real life, playing in a football game. Compare Madden to flight simulators, the most popular of which is Microsoft Flight Simulator and then DCS after that probably. They are first person, they have all the details, buttons, switches and controls of a real aircraft, and they even have a very good proximity of the real environment. So, does EA accomplish this? I don't think they do. In my opinion, the "simulation" license is just a bit of legal insurance (like a patent) or "future proofing" and has not yet been developed or at least released to the public by EA. Don't get me wrong, I'm one who actually likes Madden, despite the issues with it. I still play that game more than anything else.

Also, I would not expect a much better game from 2K. Looking at the NBA series...I'm not over excited about it. Will I play it? Heck yes, football is my favorite sport and I'll very much give it a go. Do I expect it to be leaps and bounds ahead of Madden? Definitely not.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-21-2022, 02:17 PM   #32

kehlis's Arena

^^ That's not an article lol. It's an opinion story written by someone trying to break down his interpretation of the websters definition of the word simulation. With no citations or anything as to how it could be used in this case.

It even has an entire section titled "One Gamer’s Sim Game Is Another’s Action Game" which says all you need to know about this guys story.

Last edited by kehlis; 04-21-2022 at 04:03 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »