Home

This NFL 2K forum has been opened for 2 years and 2K has not even thrown us a bone!

This is a discussion on This NFL 2K forum has been opened for 2 years and 2K has not even thrown us a bone! within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-24-2022, 09:12 AM   #25
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: This NFL 2K forum has been opened for 2 years and 2K has not even thrown us a bon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
not having a franchise mode is the only issue I had with this game.

the starred system is probably the best system ever created for roster creation/management. It's like a salary cap that creates parity.
This tiered system still has so much potential in a franchise mode. Imagine including a cap-based tiered system along with dollar amounts.

Id be happy if they made another APF with a franchise mode.
I did like the star system. It made roster construction important and making sure you have an identity. You had to play to your strengths. It made finding gems at Bronze vital. It usually seemed like I had 1-2 no-star generic players who made plays. For me it was always a Slot CB.

Besides obvious lack of depth, the issue with APF was the Legend approach. In retrospect, it made sense that if they couldn't have current NFL players, to go the NFL Legend route. But that's overestimating the legend appeal of casual fans. I'm sure the casual fan didn't know most of the Bronze or even Silver players. I'm not sure they could have had a Franchise mode with NFL Legends. Yeah, there are ways to have a contract system based on the star system. But assuming the Legends in APF were at their prime age, they would need to age out and cycle in new Legends. So that made the Legend approach limited. Then around that time EA Sports were trying to acquire rights of Legends so 2k couldn't use them.

Me personally, I would take a fully-generic heavy customizable APF. I can play with fully generic rosters. It doesn't have the same limitations as having Legends. I feel it would do better in this era compared to 2007. 2k Sports is at a higher popularity level now compared to then.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-24-2022, 03:35 PM   #26
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2
Re: This NFL 2K forum has been opened for 2 years and 2K has not even thrown us a bon

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10

Me personally, I would take a fully-generic heavy customizable APF. I can play with fully generic rosters. It doesn't have the same limitations as having Legends. I feel it would do better in this era compared to 2007. 2k Sports is at a higher popularity level now compared to then.

This^^^^^^^
Old 04-24-2022, 05:16 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbayless
This^^^^^^^
If 2k was to go that route they should take a page out of their WWE game’s book, the amount of customization available in that game is insane
Old 04-25-2022, 07:55 PM   #28
Banned

You guys do realize that once 2K signed a contract with the NFL to use their licensing, a contract that includes wording that EA is the sole producer of NFL simulation games it ended any chance of there being a customizable mode that would let you even sniff at replicating an NFL season, right?

There is zero chance there is any sort of franchise mode, customizable or not, that will allow you to recreate the NFL. Period.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:18 PM   #29
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkerStL
You guys do realize that once 2K signed a contract with the NFL to use their licensing, a contract that includes wording that EA is the sole producer of NFL simulation games it ended any chance of there being a customizable mode that would let you even sniff at replicating an NFL season, right?

There is zero chance there is any sort of franchise mode, customizable or not, that will allow you to recreate the NFL. Period.
Some people here have this idea that they can make the NFL arcade game, but also give the middle finger to EA and the NFL by making a customizable simulation game with a deep franchise mode with the players from the NFLPA license as well. Lawyers would eat well off a a move like that.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 04-25-2022, 10:41 PM   #30

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:

I've tried to explain that ad nauseum but it gets lost.

And when the game comes out to be something that they aren't hoping for they will blame shortcomings on 2K's part, not that they couldn't make a game they (and we) would like them to make because unless the legal verbiage is ever released (it won't be) no one can ever be proven wrong.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:58 AM   #31
Banned

I mean, if we just take this thread and it’s title at face value, gamers not so emotionally attached to 2K football would say, “It looks like 2K is making a football game for a different demographic, and really doesn’t care if anyone visiting this forum buys it or not.”

But this is looking more and more, to me, like the NFL and Lego worked out something, then brought to Take Two. Maybe 2K used that leverage to get a non-Lego game out, too. And if that’s the case, I would bet it is a MyTeam inspired release, heavily supported by microtransactions.

Honestly, for the competitive gamer, this possibility could be huge, as it would be the first time we see UT type modes compete head-to-head, which could lead to more player focused changes as they compete for enough marketshare.

I mean, what if 2K releases NFL MyTeam 2K, and it launches without microtransactions for a year. At the very least, gamers would have a choice of where to spend their money in these competing modes.

The huge downside of 2K succeeding could be the end of any franchise mode investment, if 2K can make money without one.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2022, 10:58 AM   #32
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27
This NFL 2K forum has been opened for 2 years and 2K has not even thrown us a bone!

Quote:

The NFL Players license doesn’t have to be arcade, only the NFL license. 2k says it has multiple games in development. The thinking is that 2k could remake APF2k8 with real players and generic teams and use the NFL license for an arcade title(s).

Technically that’s a possibility with the info we have but I agree. I think there is zero chance the NFL would be onboard with 2k making that game. For another thing, this game got delayed because the NFL and 2k couldn’t agree on releasing before the season or during the holidays. If they were making another APF they could’ve released when 2k wanted

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by kjcheezhead; 04-26-2022 at 11:02 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »