Home

Official OS Sports Card Collecting Thread

This is a discussion on Official OS Sports Card Collecting Thread within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #1

ubernoob's Arena

OVR: 24
Official OS Sports Card Collecting Thread

I just threw official in there for fun.

So I started to really enjoy the new cards coming out. We all know how it hit the bust period in the late80s-mid/late 90s. There were hundreds upon hundreds of base sets, and oversaturation pretty much killed any value from that period.

Today's offerings are pretty decent though, with Topps and Bowman being pretty much the only licensed game in town.

There are some unlicensed sets (Panini National Treasures) comes to mind that do a pretty good job, but they are high end and for the "hit hunters".

So, my collecting friends, post your prized possessions, sets that you want/are looking for and basically anything else. We can gather here to discuss.

I'll start off. Just building my collection from scratch starting about a week ago... and I already have "made" more than I have paid for them. I will start off with my nicest card.

The Trout Auto/Relic w/ a 4-color patch and #18/25
Spoiler

Followed by a Castro that is #03/10 and a Snider that is #02/10 (both are mini-card relics based on the 1975 Topps set)
Spoiler

Now I present to you: My most boring $50 card.
Spoiler

Also pulled this today. According to some people on eBay it's anywhere from 60-100. God bless short prints.
Spoiler

Last edited by ubernoob; 03-07-2013 at 04:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: Official OS Sports Card Collecting Thread

I know people have tried making sports card threads in the past, but I really hope this one sticks!

You have some nice, high end cards there. That Trout one is phenomenal.

When I get time, I'll throw in pics of mine.

Last week I bought an unopened box of 1996 Topps and pulled two Mantle refractors.

But seriously amazing cards.
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Old 03-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #3

ubernoob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumy300
I know people have tried making sports card threads in the past, but I really hope this one sticks!

You have some nice, high end cards there. That Trout one is phenomenal.

When I get time, I'll throw in pics of mine.

Last week I bought an unopened box of 1996 Topps and pulled two Mantle refractors.

But seriously amazing cards.
Damn that's a super nice pull. I was talking to the guy down at the shop today for a good half hour and he was telling a bunch of stories. Was really cool to listen to.

Are those the Mantle refractors that are based on the 1952 card set?

I got this in the same box that I got the Castro.

Spoiler

On card auto based on the '52 set.

I really liked the 2011 Topps Lineage set, I have a full base set of that. This years newest product (just released yesterday I think) is the 2013 Topps Heritage based on the 1964 Topps set. Next years will be based on the '65. I do like the way that they are going back and paying tribute to those designs -- they're classic.

Can't wait to see what others here have.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
All Star

cubsfan203's Arena

I haven't collected cards in a long time, but I enjoyed it. I'm the guy that absolutely never pulls anything good from packs. One time I did pull a highway robbery though. I bought a Geovany Soto card on eBay a long time ago on ebay for like $5. Then he got all hot and popular with the Cubs and I sold it for around $85. Obviously that card is pretty much worthless now.

When I have the time and money, I'd like to invest in some vintage cards again. I really want a Cy Young or someone of that caliber from the original T206 set.

Coaching Career of Chris Matthews (CH2k8)
The Legend of Ocho Ocho
Old 03-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I used to collect baseball cards from about 8 - 12 years old. I still have all of them in albums and such. I'll take pictures of my binders later. I don't have more than most "baseball card collectors" I'm sure, but I sure impressed myself back when.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2013, 04:20 PM   #6

ubernoob's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan203
I haven't collected cards in a long time, but I enjoyed it. I'm the guy that absolutely never pulls anything good from packs. One time I did pull a highway robbery though. I bought a Geovany Soto card on eBay a long time ago on ebay for like $5. Then he got all hot and popular with the Cubs and I sold it for around $85. Obviously that card is pretty much worthless now.

When I have the time and money, I'd like to invest in some vintage cards again. I really want a Cy Young or someone of that caliber from the original T206 set.
I'm the same way as you with packs. This time around, I'm sticking to hobby boxes. Blowoutcards.com has pretty good prices on them on the internet. I've gotten some decent pulls (the Trout) from there, so it's not like the search the cases/boxes and give you the crappy ones.

Also, I'm starting to delve a bit into group breaks (where it's x amount of higher end cases, and you pay for a slot). They break like 1-3 cases of cards, which has a total cost in the thousands of dollars - but the cost is split up between 30 people who are each (either randomly assigned or pick a team, depending on how the break is run.)

I'll let you guys know how those go for me - it seems a fairly popular thing to do now. You take a risk, but that risk is limited in dollars. I think I paid a tish over $100 for 3 slots in a break of 2012 Panini National Treasures, which has some amazing cards in it.

I think my tax refund is going towards saving for a case of 2013 Topps Tribute though - that looks like a very high-risk / extremely high-reward potential. Not something I can just buy on a whim though.

As for the vintage sets... I've been thinking about also saving for at least a low-numbered set of the 1952 Topps. The cash for the high numbered set is out of my price range for now, but it could definitely be something worked on over time.
Old 03-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubernoob
Damn that's a super nice pull. I was talking to the guy down at the shop today for a good half hour and he was telling a bunch of stories. Was really cool to listen to.

Are those the Mantle refractors that are based on the 1952 card set?

I got this in the same box that I got the Castro.

Spoiler

On card auto based on the '52 set.

I really liked the 2011 Topps Lineage set, I have a full base set of that. This years newest product (just released yesterday I think) is the 2013 Topps Heritage based on the 1964 Topps set. Next years will be based on the '65. I do like the way that they are going back and paying tribute to those designs -- they're classic.

Can't wait to see what others here have.
Nice auto man.

The Mantle set is actually based on a number of different years Topps produced his cards. So it's cool they are both reprint refractors from different years.

Unlike you, I don't have as many new high end cards. I have spent my time (and money) buying all of the old hobby boxes or packs I could never find or afford as a kid. For example, I am buying a box of 1997 Topps Finest basbeball next because that was my favorite baseball set ever.

I also bought numerous boxes of 1997 Metal Universe baseball and football because in my opinion they were the most gorgeous cards ever created.

We should start doing box breaks on here dude

Spoiler
It makes me sad
I post the frog
Old 03-07-2013, 04:27 PM   #8

ubernoob's Arena

I'd be down for case breaks here. I'd like to keep it to a relatively small # per (so that it's not like 1 person with 1 team). Saving up and splitting the cost between like 5 people (with 6 teams each) would be a good way to go as well.

I do like the Triple Threads, but I have my eye on that 1 case of Tribute I may be able to get this year.

The cards I posted so far are pretty much all the cards I have worth noting - I literally just started collecting last week-ish. Got really lucky on a couple boxes.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »