View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 11:38 AM   #37
AlexBrady
MVP

OVR: 25
Re: Top-10 Players in the NBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
They want to make Paul's life easier? Get him some help. Who on that team besides Paul is an above average passer? Can't think of anyone on that team. So off the ball movement does no good without guys who can pass.

My brother and I met Isiah Thomas in person. My brother who is taller than me is about 6'1. When he stood next to Isiah, he was shoulder to shoulder with him. Either your talking about another Zeke OR we met an impersonator. Which I highly doubt.
The kind of help Chris Paul needs just isn't possible in New Orleans. He needs to be surrounded by stars who can pick up the slack when he is inevitably trapped and doubled. I judge players based on their current function within their team which means Paul isn't good enough to win a Title. Jarrett Jack is an above average passer. Maybe you switch him to the lead guard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak123
I say he is the most versatile player in history because he can pass, shoot, post-up (6th most efficient post-up player last season), defend as well as anybody, is a good leader (despite faltering in The Finals, he still is a very good leader), has patience, good shot-selection, is unselfish, and a freakish athlete.

I don't see anyone else, ever, that can do everything as well as LeBron. Magic couldn't shoot and wasn't a good athlete. Rodman had no offensive game whatsoever, and Pippen couldn't take over a game like LeBron on a consistent basis and couldn't pass as well.

LeBron can do everything and has no real limitations (again, he had one bad series, it was a mental thing, every great player went through it, just ask the man who just beat LeBron in Dirk Nowitzki).

Howard is a terrific defensive-player, and while I think LeBron should have won last year's DPOY award because he defended so many positions so well, Howard changes the game so much on the defensive end of the floor. Every single team that plays the Magic have to change their offensive game-plan because of him as he alters and blocks so many shots. He also grabs tons of defensive rebounds, which does play a role in winning the DPOY award. Look, this is coming from a guy who loves the Heat and hates our rival in the Orlando Magic, but I admit this guy is definitely a terrific defensive player.

Chris Paul hasn't led the Hornets anywhere because his best teammates in his career have been David West and Tyson Chandler. That's simply not good enough. He is a great leader and if you watched the series against the Lakers, you would've seen how well he orchestrates and controls everything in the game. Even if he doesn't get the assist or the points on a given play, he sure helped set it up for that team, as he is responsible for virtually all of their offense.
LeBron only makes assist passes. He doesn't pass to facilitate offense and team concepts which is a crucial part of a championship team. His jump shooting is streaky which makes him highly unreliable when a ballgame is on the line. He can't post up, doesn't have step throughs, drop steps, hooks, or duck unders. His off the ball defense has seriously improved but his on ball D can still be had. Dwyane Wade is the leader of the Heat.

A great leader doesn't handle the ball for such a long time and amp up the pressure on his teammates. And last I checked leaders always come through in the clutch. Magic developed a one handed push shot at the end of his career and had all the athleticism he needed. Rodman had terrific court vision, passing ability, and he was highly active and effective without the ball which fueled his offenses. Pippen routinely dominated ballgames due to his dynamic scoring and lockdown defense. His passing ability exceeded LeBron's because he facilitated offense and wasn't only concerned with assists.

LeBron can do everything, besides shoot, post up, move without the ball, make quick decisions, and win. But other than that he is perfect. He had only one bad series? Need I remind you of the 2010 ECSF vs the Celtics or his previous Finals performance against the Spurs?

The only terrific aspect of Howard's defense is his shot blocking. He is easily drawn to the ball so quick swing passes,dishoffs and active bigs take advantage of him. His defensive rebounding is certainly great but it can't make up for his highly overrated D. The DPOY award should be given to the best on ball defender which would be Tony Allen, Luol Deng, or Dwyane Wade. If you want to watch legitimately great post defense I advise you to watch Desagna Diop's run in the 06 playoffs, spectacular.

Well, David West is a powerhouse scorer and Tyson Chandler is a jumping, blocking maniac who has proven his Title chops. Paul is good at what he does, but for me and for his team it isn't enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMagic
Growing up, my understanding has always been that a PG should be handling the ball the majority of the time for a team. I always assumed their job was to "go get the ball", set up the offense, control the flow of the game, and make plays for the other guys on their team.

Hmm...Never knew that off ball ability was such a big factor when it came to point guard play.

Maybe I'm mistaken?
Alot of the best points were active without the ball. Magic was an aggressive screener. West was a popper and curler. Stockton loved to reposition and aggressively backpick. Ect. Its especially crucial for Paul since he can be so easily double teamed in his current situation.

Last edited by AlexBrady; 07-24-2011 at 01:35 PM.