View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
Perfect Zero
1B, OF

Perfect Zero's Arena

OVR: 29
Re: What Should the MWC-CUSA Conference be called?

First of all, I can't believe they are actually doing this. I thought that they would associate and have a championship between them, but this is nuts. I guess it speeds up the superconference idea anyways. The best name would be to retain Conference USA, as that's how large the thing is going to be.

The division setup in the OP is just about right for this conference. Scheduling could be done like it was going to be done in the SEC. Have the four divisions make temporary conferences and rotate them. For example, the Pacific Division would be paired with the Mountain Division one year, followed by the Midwest, then Atlantic. The Division that you are paired with is also the division that you play in season. You also play every team in your own division every year, and then play the team that has the same record as you from the previous season. That would mean nine conference games. Whomever has the top record from the division pairings wins that pairing (which is fair because everybody played everyone in that pairing), and they go onto a championship. Lets take New Mexico for example:

Year One (paired with Pacific):
@Marshall (hypothetical same record with Atlantic Division team)
Rice (hypothetical same record with Midwest Division team)
Nevada-Las Vegas
@Hawai'i
Nevada
@Fresno State
@Air Force
Wyoming
@Colorado State

Year Two (paired with Midwest)
East Carolina (hypothetical same record with Atlantic Division team)
@Hawai'i (hypothetical same record with Pacific Division team)
Rice
@Texas-El Paso
Tulsa
@Southern Mississippi
Air Force
@Wyoming
Colorado State

Year Three (paired with Atlantic)
Nevada (hypothetical same record with Pacific Division team)
@Tulsa (hypothetical same record with Midwest Division team)
Marshall
@Alabama-Birmingham
Tulane
@East Carolina
@Air Force
Wyoming
@Colorado State

Much like the NFL does. Of course, these are example schedules, but it would work and could be easily done if they don't go crazy and add another four teams.