View Single Post
Old 09-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #5
raiders81tim
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: They added maximum passing but id nothing to counter it on defense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastX21
"Maximum passing" as you call it isn't new; we've been able to influence the direction that the pass is thrown for the last 6 years. All EA did was make it a little more significant.

Comebacks are beaten by press coverage. Deep outs are beaten by cornerbacks. If you are consistently being beaten by out routes, you are probably covering the guy with a linebacker.

Zone is better than you think - if you're giving up a lot of big plays, you're probably running Cover 2, which is weak. Use Cover 3. If you're giving up a lot of 5-7 yard gains, well guess what, thats what zone does: give up a lot of yards. It makes up for it by not giving up big plays (when run correctly) and having a higher interception ratio.

If the guy is passing for 467 yards, then he's either a really good cheeser, or using some kind of exploit.

That said, I agree that defense could be better. But its not god-awful. You can consistently hold people to the lower-20s if you just call decent plays.
Yea you can hold bad players to under 20 points. But as soon as someone learns how to pass in this game, it opens up the flood gates. Cover 3 or even 4 aren't viable defenses. You can just run seam routes all day against it, just max pass inside or out for an easy 15 yard pickup. The defensive AI never reacts. It's like they can't adapt to passes that are modified in any way.

Just played another game online right after I made this post. Went 11-18 for 363 yards and 4 TDs. Doing nothing but abusing seam routes really.

And comebacks aren't beat by press I tried that. And deep outs again this is coming from someone who understand to throw before the WR makes his cut are uncoverable in man coverage. I was burning Deion in practice with it over and over.

I'm sorry to say, but the defense at least in online ranked matches is god awful. Maybe it's different on all madden, but I don't play offline much.
Advertisements - Register to remove