View Single Post
Old 11-04-2018, 07:12 AM   #1718
thesportsguru11
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: We have a football team too... Guru's UConn Huskies (NCAA 14)

Off-Season Manual Progression

This is something I’m trying for the second time with the whole team. The progression did its thing in-game and I tweaked some ratings after the fact, given last year's performance and other factors such as past work ethic. This runs a little differently than Hellisan's format dictates, but it works just fine.

Here we go!

Overall: We return almost everyone from last year's unit and we should be just as good. It is certainly possible that we have the most talented offense, from top to bottom, in the entire country. Much of this lies on the recruiting efforts of Coach Belichick.

Quarterback: Though Brown struggled in spring ball, I wouldn't worry much just yet. He still has the talent to be the #1 pick in next spring's NFL Draft, but needs to develop that killer instinct to be a winner.

Running Back: Swift came on strong at the end of last year and his work this offseason should mean he's the starter come Week 1. Hard-work guy Mike Molden will return perhaps in a 3rd down or goalline capacity, but is an able backup. Jonathan Shaffer is the forgotten man in the Brown/Speier/Byrom recruiting class so look out for him to get some play this fall. He's from Oklahoma and may get frustrated if he can't find the field after three years.

Wide Receiver: Byrom still gets all the love, but Speier continues to be the most talented wideout we've got. Behind Michigan State's Landon Puckett, he may be the best possession receiver in the nation. Devin Brown returns in the slot after a tremendous junior year, and Marcus Rodgers burst onto scene as a return man; he'll look to be more of a factor in the pass game after working on route running and agility. Depth below the top five is worrisome, especially as Darrell Jones looks disinterested.

Tight End: Alex Paige has worked on his blocking to be on the field at all times. With all the weapons at wide receiver, his production may slip just a little. Neither of his backups from last year took steps forward, so look for true freshman Evan Jeppesen to back him up.

Tackle: The O-Line was a mess last year and saw no clarity through the spring. Dustin Mansfield is a top backup and will likely remain so, ceding the left tackle job to freshman Cole Monroe. Korey Davis-Love is listed at right guard but may move to right tackle to attempt to stabilize the position. Poor play from multiple players held the offense back at times in 2022.

Guard: Jylan Sowell had a terrible camp, but should return as a starter in the fall on the left side after a productive camp. Michael Clark and Nate Dotson from the right tackle spot might move to right guard if KDL takes over there. Look out for Roshawn Rowe as a dark horse to seize the right guard spot; he had a decent summer, looks hungry to play and looks like a better player.

Center: 3-year starter Lawron Leak is gone, and it looks like veteran Travonte Glascock will take over. Joe Sykes was given an opportunity and does not look any better than last year. It's officially time to label him a bust.

Overall: A lot of positions are up for grabs, so a good camp could really pay dividends.

Defensive End: Kiel Hughes was great last year, but as UConn switched up defensive formations toward the end of the year, he saw his role decrease slightly. He's back and looks ready to go. Brennick Samples and DeAaron Kensing are alright, but do not appear to have the killer instinct or tireless work ethic to supplant someone like Hughes or true freshman Demetris Sands.

Defensive Tackle: Jeremy Broadricke and Tarik Madison fought for the starting role last year, and it was Madison who was the star of camp. He put on at least 25 pounds of muscle, worked extensively with DC Pellum, and looks ready to be an every down starter. Broadricke, a fringe bust at this time last year, looks ready to play as well. I'm pleased with the development of our backups Ethan Buckingham and Matt Tellers, although Buckingham is still undersized.

Outside Linebacker: No one will catch Payton Ash on the left side, and our backups are struggling. Marlon Bush and Avan Goulding are in a tight battle on the other side; Bush is more of a technique guy who knows the Pellum defense better than anyone else. Goulding may likely be best suited for a sub package again.

Inside Linebacker: Kion East and Marshawn Dortch took steps forward this year; Dortch just needs to be consistent. I'm worried with our backup depth.

Corner: Tory Greening had one of the best offseasons of anyone, and will be the undisputed top corner. Kelvin Cooke has talent, but a lousy work ethic to match. Linzell Tyson played well, has improved his man coverage, and may be the other starter.

Safety: Collin Miranda has transitioned well to the defensive side of the ball; he has a steady veteran presence to learn from in special teams mainstay Blake Kimbrough. Aaron Brook returns as starter on the strong side and may be the unit's best NFL prospect.

Special Teams: Ricciardi will look to put a dismal sophomore campaign behind him; he put in some extra hours and kicks this offseason. Kyle January remains the quietest guy on the team.

-----------------------------------------------

Hi All!

Hope you all had a nice October. Season ten will likely kick off over my winter break; I'm really not sure I'll be able to go anytime before then. My intent is to play one more season and then evaluate the future of the dynasty from there. Ten seasons is certainly a good stopping place, and especially if we can win our third national title --- BUT, that's a discussion for a later date.

More importantly, I saw Cheese and Geezy have been up to stuff at other football venues lately, so I thought I'd throw in my own story. I will (most likely) be at College GameDay on Saturday when the crew visits Chestnut Hill for BC-Clemson! A friend of mine (Clemson fan) was interested in going to that game when it was announced so I bought tickets back in July. While she can't make it, I still wanted to go as a BC fan and hedged my bet on the game being meaningful. Needless to say, that was a good bet. Growing up a college football fan in a state without a D-I football team (Vermont), this is a really neat opportunity. I'll try and post some pics in my arena next week!

Thanks for hanging in there everyone!

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.