View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 07:59 PM   #10
canes21
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Madden NFL 20 Gameplay Deep Dive Part I: Superstar X-Factors Blog

So, I expected the traits to be more intangible-related that delivered things the current ratings couldn't. Some of them are like that in a way, but things like this,

• Match-Up Nightmare – Gets open and wins contested catches when covered by a single linebacker or defensive lineman
  • Edge Rush Elite – Frequently uses dominant pass-rush moves when rushing from a defensive edge position
should not need a trait/ability to make happen, should they? If the players were rated properly and the ratings played out appropriately then this would happen naturally. Seems almost like an admission by EA that their ratings do not deliver enough and they must create artificial boosts to make players standout since the way they have the ratings set up doesn't allow it.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of making players play different and bring their own qualities and quirks to the roster, but I do find it a little funny they must add traits that simply make a player behave like the ratings should. I also don't know how to feel about the traits like completing a few passes allows your QB to throw it 80 yards all of a sudden. That and the Tom Brady trait that makes his OL keep their blocks longer are things I find gamey and not what I think of when I think of making the players play more unique and true to life. As good as a QB Tom Brady is, he doesn't have the magical ability to make his OL better than they are in the way Madden is making it.

― Plato