View Single Post
Old 07-02-2021, 12:36 PM   #4
canes21
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Madden 22 Gridiron Notes: Dynamic Gameday

If the blocking tunings and new animations and momentum system result in a significantly decrease in Boom or Bust play at the line then that may be the biggest change in the game to me.

My top 3 issues with the gameplay on the field are AI, the Boom or Bust system for the trenches, and the reliance on 2-man animations between WRs and DBs. They've worked on all 3.

But back to the OL. The main reason that I've always felt the running game has been too strong even since the NCAA days is because the DL never could steer blocks much even when the mechanic was added, the OL always got way too much push at the start of each play, and the DL never got penetration via engagement. The DL only got penetration if they went unblocked or got an instant shed animation.

The run game has desperately needed a system that results in a significant increase in the number of stale mates or slight wins that occur. The average win for a OL on a run play should not be 3 yards of push, it should be them not getting shoved back and holding the block long enough for a small hole to open.

Too often the run game in Madden and NCAA was always something like this:

5 yard gain
7 yard gain
3 yard loss
8 yard gain
6 yard gain
2 yard loss

That's not how football is in real life, especially the NFL. It is too Boom or Bust. It needs to be more like this:

2 yard gain
3 yard gain
No gain
1 yard loss
2 yard gain
5 yard gain
1 yard gain
1 yard loss

The system we've been stuck with has made it so you never have had to pass because you can practically always get 3 yards untouched as long as there is no insta shed. That's not how it is in the NFL. In the NFL you see backs typically get up to 2-3 yards before contact and not 3-5 like in Madden. That's why runs in real life tend to stay in the 1-3 yard gain area, not the 5-7.

I've written about this too many times over the years, so I hope the additions they talked about that seem to address this actually do the job. I've been clamoring for a system with more "stalemates" and more horizontal interactions and lwas vertical ones. Maybe it's coincidence, maybe a dev or two saw my posts and it influenced some changes. I don't care as long as they finally fixed it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 07-02-2021 at 01:21 PM.