Home

NHL 2K8 Editor (Snowdrift)

This is a discussion on NHL 2K8 Editor (Snowdrift) within the NHL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-04-2018, 04:03 PM   #1
Rookie

snowdrift's Arena

OVR: 0
NHL 2K8 Editor (Snowdrift)

I created this NHL 2K8 save-file editor for my own use, but felt someone else might have use for it.

Remember to save often and to keep backups of your save files when using this editor.

I'm not able to maintain this actively anymore. Questions and bug reports are still welcome in this thread, but I can't guarantee I'll find time to answer.

Features for roster makers:

- Remove old player photos (it's automatic for Roster files).
- Change any player's head to any of the more than 450 3D models that exist in the game.
- Stop the commentators from calling players by the wrong names.
- Add or remove Elite, Veteran and Enforcer status.
- Spreadsheet import and export for any number of players or whole rosters.
- Global attribute edits (absolute, relative, scaled).
- Copy and paste attributes from one player to another, even between save files.
- Fast editing: click a value to edit it, and use the tab key to cycle through attributes.
- Edit lines, move players and control lineup status (dress, scratch, minors, etc.).
- Delete a player entirely so that he does not even appear in the free agents list.

For franchise-mode players:

- Draft class editing and sharing (via importable spreadsheets).
- Edit player contracts individually (or re-balance salaries for all teams)
- Freely edit non-player teams.
- Recover players from the waiver wire and unblock players "stuck" on waivers.
- Force players into retirement, or stop one from retiring.
- Reset player fatigue (helps with back-to-back games, for example).
- Set player morale/happiness.
(Season mode save files are also supported.)

Save-file repair:
- Fix game freezes caused by a player being signed to more than one team.
- Fix game freezes caused by an RFA's Holdout or Unsigned status.
- The editor rebuilds the free-agent list when you save, which corrects some freezes.

Console support:

The editor now supports both the PS3 and XBox 360 versions of NHL2K8. Roster, Season and Franchise-mode saves from both consoles can be opened and edited (as of version 0.14). No additional software is needed for use with the PS3, but XBox users will need to use software that supports save-file injection, like Horizon, Modio, or Velocity, along with the editor.

Rosters can be safely migrated between the two consoles using the Spreadsheet Export/Import function. (Roster saves created on one platform (PS3/360) can in fact be loaded directly on the other, but doing so will cause player equipment to become discolored, so the spreadsheet method is recommended.)

System requirements

The software should run on Windows, Linux and Mac (I haven't tested it on a Mac). For Windows and Mac, the Java 8 framework (or higher) must be installed first. If you don't have it, it's free to download here. The minimum Windows version for Java 8 is Vista.

For Linux users, there are two sets of requirements depending on what version of Linux you use. Some versions of Linux run the editor with only Java installed, but other versions (like Ubuntu) also require Open JFX to be installed. (In Ubuntu, you can easily install Open JFX by opening a terminal and keying in sudo apt-get install openjfx.)

Running the editor

For Windows, the program should execute on double-click. If not, either .jar files are associated with a program other than Java, or Java 8 or better is not installed.

For Linux, usage varies. On Lubuntu at least, you can execute the program by right-clicking the file and choosing "OpenJDK Java Runtime". Again, Java/Open JFX must be installed first!

Latest download link (March 26, 2023):

This editor comes without ANY warranty. Use it at your own risk. By using the editor, you also agree to the terms of use (see "Help", "Terms of use" in the app's main menu).

Version 0.19:
Windows users, download here (.exe):
https://www.mediafire.com/file/nqhd67e96vbeclx/sno2k8.exe/file

Linux/Mac users, download here (.jar):
https://www.mediafire.com/file/u7ud4jtwxiaac1k/sno2k8.jar/file

Last edited by snowdrift; 03-26-2023 at 02:17 PM. Reason: New version.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-04-2018, 05:32 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: NHL 2K8 Editor (Snowdrift)

Many Thanks for your awesome work Snowdrift. I Will test your editor. Your Rosters are awesome, the only bug is that any Vegas players dissapear on season Mode, and i had to edit them into the season Mode, overwriting minor players.
Old 02-04-2018, 06:36 PM   #3
Rookie

snowdrift's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by molifox
Your Rosters are awesome, the only bug is that any Vegas players dissapear on season Mode, and i had to edit them into the season Mode, overwriting minor players.
Thanks for the bug report. I just uploaded a new version of my rosters (LINK) that fixes the bug that you mentioned. You won't lose the Vegas players anymore when starting Season mode.

I also uploaded a new version of the editor so that you won't get this bug when editing rosters yourself. Let me know if you find other bugs.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:33 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 1

Awesome work!!! if i find others bugs, i will report you, but i donīt expect. The rosters are excellent!!! Congratulations and many many thanks!!! Great game NHL 2K8 also.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:34 PM   #5
Rookie

pm83's Arena

OVR: 3

Just came to take a look if there would be something new at 2K section and what did I find! Amazing!!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-05-2018, 06:26 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdrift
I created this save-file editor for the PS3 version of NHL 2K8 for my own use...
Officially, definitely now, going to pick up 2K8 for PS3. This is incredible. I love how much the community for older games has rallied together in various forums to keep older games alive. If that isn't a sign of the general unhappiness with newer sports games I don't know what is. I'll also bet those of us doing things like this are above a certain age as well.

So, I assume there's no hope of this working for 2K10?
Old 02-05-2018, 08:34 PM   #7
Rookie

snowdrift's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm83
Just came to take a look if there would be something new at 2K section and what did I find! Amazing!!!
Hah, love this reaction! Thanks for the support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinpanalley
So, I assume there's no hope of this working for 2K10?
This editor won't work with 2K10. I can't begin to imagine how much work a 2K10 editor would be, but I'll keep this thread on-topic. If anyone wants to talk 2K10, I think using the editor request threads would be more productive. There are at least two: here and here.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:39 PM   #8
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdrift
This editor won't work with 2K10. I can't begin to imagine how much work a 2K10 editor would be, but I'll keep this thread on-topic. If anyone wants to talk 2K10, I think using the editor request threads would be more productive. There are at least two: here and here.
Really sorry, didn't intend the topic of the thread to change. It was just meant as a question in passing.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Other Hockey Games > NHL 2K »