Home

Fight Night Champion Video Preview (The OXM Report)

This is a discussion on Fight Night Champion Video Preview (The OXM Report) within the Boxing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #33
MVP

Hova57's Arena

OVR: 31
Re: New Video on Xbox Live

yea i feel the same way too Dave
Old 12-07-2010, 10:00 AM   #34
Hall Of Fame

Phobia's Arena

OVR: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
See I thought the punches looked too fast and too many at a time no combinations just wild punches
It looked a tad bit odd for me also. You could not wing punches like that at community day. Other wise your boxer was spent. Plus "true" combos snapped out with great speed and the regular "wild" punches had a slightly slower speed to them.

Some tuning has been done from the looks of it. Hoping they don't screw up the stamina that we got to play.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #35
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
This was my ONLY complaint after community day. If you have read my blogs you will see I thought the gameplay took a great step in the right direction. Only issue was the footwork. I think this is something to do with the fact no matter how you turn you are ALWAYS facing your opponent 100% dead on. There is no angles to your facing. You can only get off center for a fraction of the time. Which makes using angles and moving side to side on your opponent tough because his punches are always coming straight down the pipe.

Outside of that, the product feels great to me and I miss very badly not playing it. It was extremely fun and even fighting a high class tournament guy such as Term, did not feel like I was not in the fight. It felt really balanced and I hope online can remain this way. There is always exploits to be found, but I think so far it felt really balanced when our time with it.
The footwork is one problem that serves as the source of other problems. The lack of angles you mention.

Ring generalship is a non-factor. In additon to effective punching & defense, it's an element that should play a part in judging a fight.

How do you avoid the step, step, slug style? I felt it was impossible to avoid a brawl with someone who wanted to brawl.

It inhibits fighters that use the ring. Outside of Mike Tyson, my favorite boxers are super middle weights and smaller, many of which were ring generals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDQ
What fight night needs to steer away from is this toe to toe brawling that the game favors. Just looking at that video and you can see the tendency of very little footwork and a whole lot of big punches being thrown. The action always migrates to one area of the ring, and the only time you see movement is when one is chasing down another.

Too much is given to brawling.
Exactly!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2010, 11:10 AM   #36
Pro

MikeRo72's Arena

OVR: 6

Butterbean being featured simply shows that they are still catering to the casual boxing fan. I am sure that it cost them very little to sign ButterBean anyway.

As for the game:
I guess it's just me but the game looks pretty much the same in terms of the boxers and movement. The fighters still look robotic and lethargic to me. I'll still make my custom fighters and comb online for the best replications, I dont mind that at all. I just want them to make sure it wont be sold with so many bugs.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:29 AM   #37
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

I hate that the footwork remains unchanged. It makes the gameplay look stale and sluggish.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:53 PM   #38
MVP

Vast's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobia
This was my ONLY complaint after community day. If you have read my blogs you will see I thought the gameplay took a great step in the right direction. Only issue was the footwork. I think this is something to do with the fact no matter how you turn you are ALWAYS facing your opponent 100% dead on. There is no angles to your facing. You can only get off center for a fraction of the time. Which makes using angles and moving side to side on your opponent tough because his punches are always coming straight down the pipe.

Outside of that, the product feels great to me and I miss very badly not playing it. It was extremely fun and even fighting a high class tournament guy such as Term, did not feel like I was not in the fight. It felt really balanced and I hope online can remain this way. There is always exploits to be found, but I think so far it felt really balanced when our time with it.
Potential gamekiller man.
Fine its not a game killer but more like a huge game de-emphasizer.

Having an opponent who ALWAYS faces you 100% is absolutely terrible and extremely unrealistic.
In MMA you can get away with this, and even then its very unrealistic. The UFC games actually got it right tho.

But in boxing footwork and side to side movement is soo much more important.
A boxer who throws a lunging straight but misses should be punished by his opponent if his opponent sidesteps the punch at the right time.
This will never happen in fight night because the lunging boxer will immediately turn and face is opponent unrealistically.

Footwork is soooooo ****ing important to boxing. Having a game at this point in development lacking such a fundamental element is very telling of the direction the team is heading.

There is no reason (i can understand) for them to leave sluggish 100% locked on footwork in the game. Other than on purpose. Especially since EA MMA has such quick footwork. Quick footwork is even more prevalent in boxing!!! WTF!

I'm just annoyed man boxing is the one sport thats never been done right.
It's 2011 man. You can't be ****ing up the footwork in 2011. We get a boxing game once every 2-3 years if we're lucky.
It's like a sim Basketball game coming out with no dribble moves and slow terrible movement that takes the organic real sport feel out of the game.

Last edited by Vast; 12-07-2010 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #39
Rookie

OVR: 3

I'll be quick with what I have to say.

1. How many times will we finance games that don't meet out expectations or suit our playing styles? EA does that same thing every go-round. They either can't or refuse to make a game that includes the boxing nuances that have been requested for years now. I, too, love my boxing games, but enough is enough! I'm now convinced that if EA is behind it, fight night will remain meretricious trash, looking the part but rotten underneath. This will no change until something hits them in their pocket - either a competitor who does well in sales with sim based offering, or FN is boycotted. Then and only then will there be a significant change in the FN engine.

2. Perhaps it is time to forgo this fiasco of licensing real fighters to be in the game. All it breads is imbalance and cheese anyway. The way CAF features are now, if you want a particular fighter in the game, make him. The money used to pay a guy for his image in the game can go a long way towards production, and finally getting the game we really want to play.
Old 12-07-2010, 01:56 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 19

All this talk of Butterbean, i mean he does have a 77-8 boxing record.

Marciano he is not, but its not like he's a golfer or something.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > Boxing »