Home

2017 Coaching Carousel Thread

This is a discussion on 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread within the College Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-24-2017, 05:31 PM   #65
Heroes Never Die

IlliniM1ke's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread

Oklahoma State hires Mike Boynton as head coach, was an assistant for Underwood at both SFA and OSU.

Interesting that OSU paid money for a search firm and then ends up hiring a guy that was already on staff.

Cal hires Wyking Jones as head coach, was an assistant under Cuonzo Martin.

Interesting hires, assume both schools weren't looking to spend. Boynton sounds like he's got potential to be a good coach but it's a big jump still, I don't know anything about Jones.
MLB- St. Louis Cardinals
NBA- Boston Celtics
NHL- Chicago Blackhawks

Formerly CardsFan27

Last edited by IlliniM1ke; 03-24-2017 at 05:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2017, 11:05 PM   #66
Post Like a Champion!

jake44np's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomPain
I can't stand Doug Gottlieb. Can think of many names that aren't nice for that guy.

Regardless, he says he is hearing Alford to Indiana is a done deal. Which probably means it won't be him so take it with a grain of salt.

So it's all over the news in Bloominton that Donovan was in town today and met with IU's AD.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:28 AM   #67
MVP

PhantomPain's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake44np
So it's all over the news in Bloominton that Donovan was in town today and met with IU's AD.
Alford did say he is 100% staying at UCLA. If Indiana gets Donovan, it puts them immediately back in their rightful spot with the blue bloods. Would be a total grand slam hire.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:06 PM   #68
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Archie Miller to IU

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 03-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #69
Inter Miami

southernmetalhead's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniM1ke

Cal hires Wyking Jones as head coach, was an assistant under Cuonzo Martin.

Interesting hires, assume both schools weren't looking to spend. Boynton sounds like he's got potential to be a good coach but it's a big jump still, I don't know anything about Jones.

Jones was also an assistant on Louisville's 2013 championship team, though I think you nailed it about not looking to spend.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:19 PM   #70
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
Archie Miller to IU

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Yep, I think Archie is a good coach, but I did want Alford. Unfortunately it wont be Alford. Not sure if Alford turned them down, or if they just went with someone else.
I know there was a lot of talk about Pierre Pierce debacle back when Alford was at Iowa, you would think Alford was the 1 that committed the crim instead of Pierce the way some act. Lots of other coaches would have stood by their guy too, and unfortunately Alford stood by and put too much trust in the kid.
Dont know if thats why Alford didnt get the job, or if Alford being passed up for the job a few other times, just decided he didnt want to go back. For years it was his dream job to coach IU, and it even for a short time caused friction between an Coach Knight many years ago, but they both patch things up, and Steve calls Coach for advice at times.

Regardless, without a Bobby Knight guy at IU, I wont be too supportive of them, but Archie is a good coach, but its not like Crean was some bum of a coach.
Now days there is a lot of competition just int he state, because it use to be really just Purdue and IU, and Notre Dame would get some stragglers not quite good enough for IU or Purdue. Now days you have Butler in the mix, as they aint no midmajor any longer, and ND has a good program also. So I think IU is mistaken if they think the program can be back to where it was many years ago with Knight, too much competition in State, and we got talent that even leaves the here to play elsewhere too now days, that wasnt the case many years ago.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts
Old 03-25-2017, 09:04 PM   #71
Heroes Never Die

IlliniM1ke's Arena

OVR: 20

Alford did more than stand by Pierce he repeatedly stated he 100% believed Pierce was telling the truth, he spun it to make it sound like the painful part of the process was people judging Pierce before the legal process played out instead of it being awful for the girl he sexually assaulted.

Not to mention the fact he tried to strong arm her into backing down on her allegations.

I have no idea if the Pierce incident led to him not getting the job or if he just chose to remain at UCLA but you're correct Alford didn't commit the crime but he handled the fallout about as poorly as he could have.
MLB- St. Louis Cardinals
NBA- Boston Celtics
NHL- Chicago Blackhawks

Formerly CardsFan27
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2017, 09:28 PM   #72
MVP

CaseIH's Arena

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlliniM1ke
Alford did more than stand by Pierce he repeatedly stated he 100% believed Pierce was telling the truth, he spun it to make it sound like the painful part of the process was people judging Pierce before the legal process played out instead of it being awful for the girl he sexually assaulted.

Not to mention the fact he tried to strong arm her into backing down on her allegations.

I have no idea if the Pierce incident led to him not getting the job or if he just chose to remain at UCLA but you're correct Alford didn't commit the crime but he handled the fallout about as poorly as he could have.

Yeah, it was handled poorly by him. I wouldnt call it strong arming her into backing down. Its been a long time, so I can remember exactly how it went, but I think he ask her to meet with a Christian organization, and if I remember correctly Pierce would have met with them too. Now I dont know all the details, maybe it was to get her to back down, I surely hope thats wasnt what he intended, I thought it was more along the lines of forgiving. Alford is a Christian, and while I dont want to get into religion debate or a discussion, as everyone is intitled to what or what they dont believe, but as a Chistian, its your belief that you need to forgive those who have done you wrong, as hard as that is for well basically all of us to do, I know it is for me anyway. I thought thats what it was more about, but again that happen so long ago, that I might be wrong. I just know it was handled badly by Alford, and I feel horrible for that girl and what she went thru.

That ordeal did seem to be a hot topic once Alford's name was mentioned, and sounded like there was some loud noise coming from Alumni that said you fired a Football coach a few months ago, for conduct reasons, but yet you would hire a coach that stood by a horrible person.
Dont know if thats why they went a different route or if Alford turn them down. Or they might have just decided to go with a younger up and coming coach, which is highly possible too.

Favorite teams:
MLB- Reds/ and whoever is playing the Cubs
NBA- Pacers
NFL- Dolphins & Colts

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > College Basketball »