Home

NCAA Football 12 Custom Playbooks, 40 Total Formations, 15 Off. and 15 Def. Playbooks

This is a discussion on NCAA Football 12 Custom Playbooks, 40 Total Formations, 15 Off. and 15 Def. Playbooks within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #89
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: NCAA Football 12 Custom Playbooks, 40 Total Formations, 15 Off. and 15 Def. Playb

I'm sort of with some of the other guys in thinking this could take a lot of realism out of the game. I'm not complaining about it, I think custom playbooks are great, I'm just concerned they are allowing too many different / diverse formations into a playbook.

College teams' gameday playbooks are much smaller than even the playbooks we use in NCAA 11. Normally a team will have a playbook about the size of NCAA 11 (but based on a certain philosophy or style) and then based on the team they play each week they trim it down. The reason is that the players (being college kids and of a wide variety of skill levels, this is not the pros) are just incapable of learning a huge playbook with various sets and styles and be able to accurately run them each week.

Now, I would be all for allowing a wide range of formations in a custom playbook IF there was some sort of awareness penalty or practice schedule... essentially during the week in a dynasty have to select X number of formations to practice and any other formations you take an awareness hit when you call them in that week's game. Just brainstorming but that would make this realistic... so if you run all of your plays out of similar formations that fit your team's style, you get no awareness loss each week but you have a less diverse offense, and vice versa you could have a wildly diverse playbook to try to catch your opponent off guard but your players are unable to run all of those plays consistently well. Look at Cam Newton... Auburn ran a very limited playbook because he was just incapable of knowing a large number of plays, but was so athletically gifted they had to keep him on the field.

Last edited by mattbooty; 05-10-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:23 PM   #90
Pro

OVR: 9
Re: NCAA Football 12 Custom Playbooks, 40 Total Formations, 15 Off. and 15 Def. Playb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattbooty
I'm sort of with some of the other guys in thinking this could take a lot of realism out of the game. I'm not complaining about it, I think custom playbooks are great, I'm just concerned they are allowing too many different / diverse formations into a playbook.

College teams' gameday playbooks are much smaller than even the playbooks we use in NCAA 11. Normally a team will have a playbook about the size of NCAA 11 (but based on a certain philosophy or style) and then based on the team they play each week they trim it down. The reason is that the players (being college kids and of a wide variety of skill levels, this is not the pros) are just incapable of learning a huge playbook with various sets and styles and be able to accurately run them each week.

Now, I would be all for allowing a wide range of formations in a custom playbook IF there was some sort of awarness penalty or practice schedule... essentially during the week in a dynasty have to select X number of formations to practice and any other formations you take an awareness hit when you call them in that week's game. Just brainstorming but that would make this realistic... so if you run all of your plays out of similar formations that fit your team's style, you get no awareness loss each week but you have a less diverse offense, and vice versa you could have a wildly diverse playbook to try to catch your opponent off guard but your players are unable to run all of those plays consistently well.
Agree! One thing I loved about NFL Head Coach game was that you had to practice and the plays you practiced effected how they played in a game. The game itself failed but there were so many great things about it like that which I think would add a lot to NCAA. This would reduce the amount that custom playbooks could be abused per se. Give a limited amount of plays or time for each practice, and you would have to choose what to implement or work on during practices. Much more realistic as just like in real life you have to spread out what you work on throughout your week of practice, spring ball, etc.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #91
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I agree that it would be unsim to have formations that doesnt match. Especially if a person uses it online.
My Run Playbook wont have any Air Raid plays, 5 wide sets, complicated passing plays. I will have alot of running formation(no wishbone or triple optionS). I willl formations like Maryland I, House, Full House, I forms and Shot gun(mostly run plays).
But I feel if a person buys a game, they can do what they want. They could have Wing T and 5 Wides only. Mainly because I will never play them anyway. I dont play Online at all and dont plan too
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #92
Rookie

rollinphat's Arena

OVR: 5

I really don't see what the problem is.
If your in a sim league then your still going to be in a sim league, because that's what you and everybody else in your league wants to do. If your not in a sim league then you can create whatever your heart desires. This is about you the user being able to create whatever offense you want instead of having to settle for something that is the closest to what you want to do. This feature is long over due.

I guess the Air Force playbook is unrealistic since it has shotgun, i form and flexbone in it
hahaahahaha
Old 05-10-2011, 03:25 PM   #93
Rookie

smace767's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:

Now, I would be all for allowing a wide range of formations in a custom playbook IF there was some sort of awareness penalty or practice schedule... essentially during the week in a dynasty have to select X number of formations to practice and any other formations you take an awareness hit when you call them in that week's game. Just brainstorming but that would make this realistic... so if you run all of your plays out of similar formations that fit your team's style, you get no awareness loss each week but you have a less diverse offense, and vice versa you could have a wildly diverse playbook to try to catch your opponent off guard but your players are unable to run all of those plays consistently well. Look at Cam Newton... Auburn ran a very limited playbook because he was just incapable of knowing a large number of plays, but was so athletically gifted they had to keep him on the field.
we had discussion about playbook size and diversity along with gameplan and practice here http://www.thegamingtailgate.com/for...laybooks/page6
Old 05-10-2011, 03:26 PM   #94
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:

This makes a lot of sense, the practice points idea is golden.

This year we will probably have to just deal with the sandbox freedom of the customs but maybe next year they could implement a system like this.

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #95
Rookie

godylla's Arena

OVR: 4

Is there a "Playbook Share" like a "Roster Share"?

"Don't give up, don't ever give up."
- Jimmy V.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-10-2011, 03:28 PM   #96
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by godylla
Is there a "Playbook Share" like a "Roster Share"?
No, unfortunately

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »