Home

New Features Aren’t All Free in NCAA Football 12

This is a discussion on New Features Aren’t All Free in NCAA Football 12 within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-31-2011, 02:39 PM   #401
Pro

OVR: 3
Re: New Features Aren’t All Free in NCAA Football 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Facts according to you.

I feel the same way.

When I quoted that, you didn't mention games coming out this year, did you? You keep adding on to your opinions to try make them facts.

Plus, you said APF was your only other option in that post I quoted.
I'm done with you dude. No offense, but your responses and posts don't even warrant a response. Go back and track my posts and what I quoted in my posts and you'll realize that I didn't bring up APF, it was brought up to me (BY YOU NOW THAT I CHECK) as the answer to "What other NCAA and NFL game can I buy?". I think it was pretty obvious that I was talking about this year's version, as I know that 2k5 exists since I was using it as an example in many of my posts.

Unless you can prove me wrong by saying that the Philadelphia Eagles are in APF2k8 and all of the players pictures and stats,etc. are in the game, then what I said was fact.

Also, why can't I buy another NCAA or NFL game this year? Because EA bought the exclusive license. That is also fact.

In the post you quoted those were the only two statements I made, and you said "that's just your personal opinion". smh
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2011, 02:41 PM   #402
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidice
EA had the only NCAA FB game(expect maybe text based sims) at the time of the exclusive deal was made. It was around 2 years before that the last Sony or 2k college football game was made. so I doubt they even wanted to make a bid.
I believe your right, but don't remember exactly how it went down.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #403
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmnm247

Also, why can't I buy another NCAA or NFL game this year? Because EA bought the exclusive license. That is also fact.
Because the NFL decided to follow their business plan and go exclusive on the license, maximizing their profits.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:46 PM   #404
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
Exclusive licensing is a staple of the NFL Business plan. See their apparel deals, see direcTV, etc.

If you want to watch your team out of market you have to have DirecTV.. If you want to own licensed NFL apparel you have to buy whatever brand they have the deal with.

EA is along for the ride on this, and I don't think anyone likes it, but the NFL is far more to blame for this fiasco than EA. VC bid on the license and came up short, the rest is history. If you want to be mad, be mad at the league.
Some questions so we are on the same page, who do you think went to who first to get the exclusive deal? EA or the NFL? Do you think that VC had the monetary backing to their company to match anything EA could have offered? Do you think the NFL would have stopped allowing NFL games to be made unless they had an exclusive deal with someone or do you think they would have been fine collecting multiple licensing fees year after year from whoever wanted to make an NFL game?

Second, I don't have DirecTV and I've never missed an Eagles game. I also can't even name you the licensed NFL apparel brand because I can buy from multiple suppliers as well as replicas, etc. That being said, it's a moot point and has nothing to do with the football sports gaming genre issue we are discussing here. It's WAY more intricate than what happened here, I think we can both agree on that.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:52 PM   #405
Pro

Quote:
Why is that EA's fault? Why are they the only ones that bear the blame?
BECAUSE THEY ARE THE ONES GOING TO THESE LEAGUES AND ASKING FOR EXCLUSIVITY BECAUSE THEY ARE THE ONLY COMPANY WITH ENOUGH MONEY TO MAKE IT FINANCIALLY SMART TO ACCEPT SUCH A DEAL.

Like cmon man at least you are debating this intelligently but think about it. Hypothetically, EA puts out 1 billion in licensing fees for exclusivity in NFL, NBA, MLB. This means they don't need to spend hundreds of millions in marketing because they are the only game in town. This means they don't need to improve their games at the same rates as competition because they are the only game in town. This means they can charge for features that most likely would be included with the $60 you originally pay, because there are the only game in town.

They took the lazy way out, and are now asking us to pay for it. And the best part is, YOU GUYS SEEM FINE WITH THAT!?!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-31-2011, 02:58 PM   #406
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
Some questions so we are on the same page, who do you think went to who first to get the exclusive deal? EA or the NFL? Do you think that VC had the monetary backing to their company to match anything EA could have offered? Do you think the NFL would have stopped allowing NFL games to be made unless they had an exclusive deal with someone or do you think they would have been fine collecting multiple licensing fees year after year from whoever wanted to make an NFL game?

Second, I don't have DirecTV and I've never missed an Eagles game. I also can't even name you the licensed NFL apparel brand because I can buy from multiple suppliers as well as replicas, etc. That being said, it's a moot point and has nothing to do with the football sports gaming genre issue we are discussing here. It's WAY more intricate than what happened here, I think we can both agree on that.
I know for a fact that the NFL went to the companies. And it's obvious why, they get a lot more for the exclusive license than they do with the other 2 or 3 companies purchasing the license. It wasn't even close.

VC, simply did not have the financial resources to match the offer from what I gather. But to be honest, I believe the NFL wanted EA to win the license no matter what. I think that's the reason they keep extending the deal. They want EA to have the license as Madden is more than just a brand name at this point, it's part of our culture.

Are the Eagles out of market? If they are then you are seeing them from some outside source.. Like I said, if you want to legally watch out of market games, DirecTV is your only source as the NFL has exclusively licensed them for out of market TV. In market that's obviously not the case, but you can thank the FCC for that I believe more than anything else.

I have no idea on the licensing of apparel, it seems to change frequently. Also Jerry Jones muddied the water with is attempt at an Adidas deal or however that went down.

It's not a moot point though. It goes to show a pattern the NFL has stuck to when it comes to their IP. It's unfortunate it affected gamers, but it's how they operate.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:00 PM   #407
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

Quote:
BECAUSE THEY ARE THE ONES GOING TO THESE LEAGUES AND ASKING FOR EXCLUSIVITY
That's not really true.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:05 PM   #408
Pro

Quote:
I know for a fact that the NFL went to the companies. And it's obvious why, they get a lot more for the exclusive license than they do with the other 2 or 3 companies purchasing the license. It wasn't even close.

VC, simply did not have the financial resources to match the offer from what I gather. But to be honest, I believe the NFL wanted EA to win the license no matter what. I think that's the reason they keep extending the deal. They want EA to have the license as Madden is more than just a brand name at this point, it's part of our culture.

Are the Eagles out of market? If they are then you are seeing them from some outside source.. Like I said, if you want to legally watch out of market games, DirecTV is your only source as the NFL has exclusively licensed them for out of market TV. In market that's obviously not the case, but you can thank the FCC for that I believe more than anything else.

I have no idea on the licensing of apparel, it seems to change frequently. Also Jerry Jones muddied the water with is attempt at an Adidas deal or however that went down.

It's not a moot point though. It goes to show a pattern the NFL has stuck to when it comes to their IP. It's unfortunate it affected gamers, but it's how they operate.
Thanks for a logical and intelligent response and post. I finally feel like I am dealing with a grownup in here and I agree with all that you posted.

I still think EA went to them first, wanted exclusivity and said look, we'll pay you $XXX million for it. It's only smart for the NFL to then turn around and go to the other companies to see what they could/would pay for it and no one else could match EA because of reasons you stated and I agree with. I also tend to agree the NFL might be fine with EA having it because the NFL is obviously making bank off of it and owning EA. But since the NFL gaming market is so huge EA is making bank off of it too, and who gets shafted in all of this? The consumer. THAT is precisely why I am upset about the type of release day DLC EA is selling us.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »