Home

FIFA 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (360, PS3)

This is a discussion on FIFA 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (360, PS3) within the EA Sports FIFA Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen
EA Sports College Football 25 Gameplay Deep Dive
Operation Sports Is Looking to Hire a Freelancer Specializing in Racing Games
Is Caitlin Clark in NBA 2K24?
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 4
Re: FIFA 14 Demo Available Now, Post Your Impressions (360, PS3)

It felt a lot more realistic. I actually had to think about how I was going to penetrate the defense. I scored a goal on a Corner kick one of my guys headed it and the other put it in the back of the net with his left foot. I only played one game but I thought this game was harder than one's in the past where I could get guys behind the defense all the time. I don't know if I'm going to buy this or not but it is definitely a step in the right direction.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #66
Like Father Like son

ROABS's Arena

OVR: 17

does the cpu foul more? or do they still pinpoint perfect tackle? im reading mixed reviews on this. i have yet to download it due to time restraints.
Old 09-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #67
Immense Dimension

electrickeeper's Arena

OVR: 12

There's a lot of little improvements, but nothing I would consider groundbreaking.

I'm having fun with it so far though.

- Playstation Football Association Career(online manager mode)
Old 09-11-2013, 06:24 PM   #68
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6
When I first fired up the demo, I was very very impressed. As I played more and more the same issues that irk me about FIFA 11 (the last FIFA I bought) persist.

Every CPU player has fantastic control, especially in critical situations. If I am through on goal and I fire a shot across goal with my other attacker and a defender streaking after it, the defender will get it and will lift his leg up to his chest, perfectly trapping the ball. No matter how long I hold down shoot or try and run into him to force him into the goal I met with some form of resistance.

CPU defenders are psychic and perfectly anticipate every move you do. There is not a single REACTIVE action by the CPU. Every input I put in with my controller is instantly known by the opposition. I want to lunge into the tackle? The CPU side steps with a CB. I want to move off and lock off a running lane, the player immediately moves away from it. Momentum only exists for the human player.

I find myself being so aware of CPU processes that I forget how to play football and instead think how I can counteract psychic CPU AI.

I played vs the Red Bulls with PSG on Professional and found that despite winning possession 61 to 39, when they had the ball, every player moved exactly the same as Barcelona, Milan and Spurs did when I played them. I don't even know who the midfielders and defenders were, but they appeared to be just as good on the ball as Xavi.

My first impression was a complete WOW as I was trounced 3-0 by Spurs and I carved some nice opportunities. The goals they scored were nice and Bale turned a ball onto his left foot to shoot!!!
Ball physics looked good and there was a minor deflection that pushed his shot onto the crossbar but it still bounced in.

After that game I just constantly felt the game cheating, with the absence of fouls being called on them a constant source of frustration. I would get barged off the ball and nothing would happen, yet I'd run into a player by accident and get a foul called against me.

Also, instances that really frustrate me, and this may be down to playing with default settings, were that I never felt fully in control of my player. There were numerous one on one situations for the ball in which my player would suddenly stop or try a soft header out of nowhere, when all I'm trying to do is charge towards the ball to challenge the CPU from getting it. I then overshoot them and my player is madly out of position.

Its the same crap that makes a singleplayer experience with the game a source of frustration than pleasure, and couple that with the embarrassing career mode options and all you're left with is a head to head online game which in my opinion never warrants the price of the game out of the box, especially having to deal with the people who cheese and pause the game excessively, quit or get you disconnected.

I'll be saving my money another year, and I hope the PES demo I'm downloading now lives up to my now lofty expectations of it. That looks like a real game.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #69
MVP

infemous's Arena

OVR: 6
To the people saying Crabwalk is gone. Control Pastore on PSG and say that again.

I'm not aware of what Crabwalk necessarily is, but I'm assuming its the super sideways dribble that certain players do and he does it.

Its still there if that is what it is.

Also, penalty animations are still a ****ing joke. When will they get people to kick a dead ball properly???? Never see any velocity on penalties either, I don't know how this can still be wrong.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #70
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by infemous
To the people saying Crabwalk is gone. Control Pastore on PSG and say that again.

I'm not aware of what Crabwalk necessarily is, but I'm assuming its the super sideways dribble that certain players do and he does it.

Its still there if that is what it is.

Also, penalty animations are still a ****ing joke. When will they get people to kick a dead ball properly???? Never see any velocity on penalties either, I don't know how this can still be wrong.
I noticed velocity issues elsewhere, too. If a player has 90+ shot power, you wouldn't know it by watching them strike the ball in the game. Everything has a sort of...lofted trajectory for lack of a better description.

This year in particular seems bereft of power and physicality. I still can't help but use the description that it looks like a bunch of old men with back spasms running around. I'm going to play more tonight and see how my impressions change. I'm in the "not buying on day one" camp at this point and looking at PES for the first time since 2006.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:45 PM   #71
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

I was also noticing that every time I took possession, my attacking players were being run down from behind. Against PSG, Ibrahimovic in particular was ferociously defending 100% of the time and dispossessing guys. It was very odd looking, kinda took me out of the game.

I've been watching that dude since his time at Ajax and he's never been a highly active deep lying defender! lol...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2013, 08:03 PM   #72
Rookie

Gnemi's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnemi
This year in particular seems bereft of power and physicality.
I have to retract that after reading The Mirror's write-up on the demo.

This year's offering most certainly has the most 50-50 ball realism yet. I was able to win headers with powerful defenders where I'd expect to win. Picking out headers, etc. seems radically better.

Anyway, gonna play a bunch more tonight and give proper thoughts once I've exorcised the "It's so different than FIFA '13!" overreaction.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA > EA Sports FIFA Last Gen »