Home

NHL 09 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #105
Banned

OVR: 31
Re: NHL 09 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by baa7
Sounds good. And the demo sounds great. Let's just hope they also fixed the programming cheat where your goalie momentarily turns into a sieve/swiss cheese/pylon whenever the CPU needs a quick goal.
Eh I didn't see that in 08 and haven't so far in my time with the demo, I actually just scored two breakaway goals via well time stick lifts at center ice within a span of 2 mins of each other, winning 3-1, the one goal I gave up was my fault trying to pass into traffic in the crease. The game at least demo wise is absolutely bloody brilliant this year afaic. I can only imagine that with proper slider tweaks in the full version and a bump up to superstar I may just not be able to remove NHL09 from my 360 for a while to come. Shame, I wanted to try Fallout3 too. heh
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-05-2008, 11:54 PM   #106
Rookie

Mad 69's Arena

OVR: 10

I hope they fix the camera angle for the goalie in shootout. Playing against a friend last nite, you could not see the goalie if the skater goes too far left or right, you have no control of the goalie since you can't even see the puck coming in.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:01 AM   #107
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

Quick initial impressions. Probably nothing different than what's already been posted.

Anyway, very similar to 08, which is good thing, since there's always a concern with EA that they could screw up a good thing.

1. Speed is slower, but more realistic. You're not zipping from one end of the ice to the other as much as 08.

2. More defensive emphasis making it harder to score. Will require more practice for average players like me, perhaps slider adjustments or starting off on easier setting. But I like it.

3. Jerseys look a little different, can't put my finger on it, but I noticed it right away. They look even better than last year, which looked great.

4. Someone mentioned the lighting looks different than last year, but I'm not seeing that. Game still looks bright with vivid colors. A visual masterpiece. Makes 2k9 look like a last-gen game.

5. More players look like real-life counterparts, though they still need to work on some. On the Wings, for example, they nailed Lilja, of all people, but Filppula and Kronwall don't look like they do in real life.

6. Passes not as automatic, which is a good thing.

7. Shots seem slower. Again, a good thing, as you don't have quite the arcade feel that 08 had, though I enjoyed that as well.

8. Still need to get used to the button controls for lifting stick, poke checks, sweeping stick, but that will come with time, making the game more enjoyable.

9. Love the close-up cut-scenes. They were good last year, hope they added more this year. Really looking forward to seeing all those throwback and alternate jersey close-ups in HD.

Based on the demo, it's safe to say this will be a Day 1 purchase. Unlike football games, where there's so many intracacies, many that can go unnoticed until you spend some time with the full version, I can't imagine there being any game-killing bugs in the full version of NHL if they're not detected in the demo. At least not in the game play. Franchise could be a different story, so we'll have to wait and see about that.

But games like this really justify the existence and the purchase of next-gen systems, after the disappointing football efforts EA has given us thus far. It's nice to see how competition can push a development team to put out the best effort possible.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 09-06-2008, 10:16 AM   #108
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Thats funny, since with the new goaltender animations, I've scored far many garbage goal rebounds and otherwise just a better variety of goals, than prolly most of last year with 08. But hey keep with your "I suck so the ai must cheat" crusade, its good for a laugh.
Are you blocking shots from the neutral zone? Because every game now in the demo, I get one floater in from OUTSIDE THE BLUELINE. I had one go in from an offsides faceoff outside the blueline.

Are you controlling the goalie? If not, then how do we "suck" exactly if the CPU controls the goalie?

My last few games, I've had a floater go in in the first 2 minutes of the period. I come back and win, as I'm getting pretty decent on all-star, but I can't overlook these things.

If I play Detroit, Osgood is a sieve. If I play Pitt, he turns into Hasek in his prime.

Just because we can outscore the CPU, doesn't mean it isn't annoying. Do I need to start diving in front of shots on the blueline to play D?

Do people even understand what we're saying? I'm still winning the game most of the time (or tying if I run out of time). Just because you win the game doesn't mean there isn't a problem.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #109
Banned

OVR: 9

i don't see many bad goals, and the computer doesn't even shoot from OUTSIDE THE BLUELINE.

seems like you want your goalie to save every single shot.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #110
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

-- Still too many shots clang off the post or crossbar. Was hoping they'd tone that down.

-- Did you notice the same bald guy who looks like the captain from the newer Star Trek series is coaching both teams? I thought they had realistic likenesses of the coaches in past versions.

-- They didn't seem to give Osgood much respect. Don't know if his ratings are low or what, but he gives up a lot of medium-range unscreen slap shots.

But I concur with all the positive impressions. This is game is even more fun than 08, which was the best hockey game ever.

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 09-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #111
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalv
i don't see many bad goals, and the computer doesn't even shoot from OUTSIDE THE BLUELINE.
Well, they did once. It was a one-timer off a faceoff that was outside the blueline. Last night I was getting a ton of these cheese goals, now I play a bunch of games and I get nothing but good goals. Now, the few long shots I see are saved normally. Strange. Maybe just one of those demo quirks.

I'm back to getting great games again. All the goals against have been my fault.

I'm really starting to get the hang of defense now. You can't just score with an NHL d-man all over you. You have to find space and set up plays. When I do set up a great play I feel like I earned it now, they aren't automatic like last year.

I'm actually getting sick of the demo already. I'm ready for next week, but I should be practicing more. I'm still giving up far too many goals, but I see my mistakes.

At first I was critical of the teammate AI, but more now I see them being where they are supposed to be. You can play 2 on 2s properly and expect a CPU teammate to cover the slot.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-06-2008, 01:57 PM   #112
Banned

OVR: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgalv
That's because EA still hasn't fixed the damn system.

I don't get why they didn't add a modifier or something so that you can actually aim at the net from behind the blue line, or so that you could use the dump feature inside the offensive zone.

The whole dumping/shooting system based on what zone you're in kind of sucks and needs to be reworked.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »