Home

NHL 09 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 1
Re: NHL 09 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb

My thoughts exactly. I don't/can't mess with the BAP camera in FIFA, I just use the Tele cam.
Does anyone know if you CAN play with a "default" camera in BAP Mode??? I am hoping so.
Thanks.
Old 09-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #34
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dQbell
If the Be A Pro Mode works as described, this may very well be the best sports video game ever made.
Its the same as every other title that has done it its nothing new. Same boring mode.
Played a few exibition games, its pretty solid.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:36 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 6
im extremely excited as NHL 08 is one of my favorite sports games of all time. even though most will probably love it, just wait a week or two for the backlash to begin because there are always people that feel cooler when they rail against something really popular.

Last edited by allstar3970; 09-03-2008 at 05:46 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2008, 05:40 PM   #36
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by copecowboy
Its the same as every other title that has done it its nothing new. Same boring mode.
Played a few exibition games, its pretty solid.
Yes and no. While the offline component of Be A Pro certainly isn't ground-breaking, to my knowledge no other console sports game has done anything that resembles the EASHL (please correct me if I'm wrong). Whether or not it will be a success, well, only time will tell...
Old 09-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #37
Pro

OVR: 10

Felt a lot like 08 but with improvements which is a good thing IMO. I especially like the defensive freedom with the poke check and lift the stick. Also, the fact that more shots ended up off target (wide or high of the goalie) was a nice touch. Looks like a solid buy for me. I'd still like to read more once the full games of both come out but maybe it'll be a two hockey game year for me also.
RIP #21

DC United 2008 US Open Cup Champions
Old 09-03-2008, 06:28 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 1

I really can't believe how much I'm loving the Be A Player mode. It's really, really, well done. The normal mode is great as well. I'm completely satisfied. My only TINY gripe is the little bit of lag I've experienced during the BAP demo, but I'm sure that will be improved or eliminated all together on the official release.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:55 PM   #39
Banned

OVR: 4

Wow Be a pro mode is fun as hell! LOL. It's like superstar mode but ten times better. The camera angle on LOW is pretty sweet.

This is way better than 2k9 ...WAY better. Much improved from last year.

I played a few BAP mode quarters and no goals yet, but had 2 assists and it's awesome to make a sweet pass and then score!!

Thumbs up to EA!!
Old 09-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #40
Rookie

OVR: 4

I've played two regular and three BAP games. I played 07, but skipped over 08, so I'm a bit rusty, which (partly) explains my suckiness early on.

I see lots of improvements from 07 and the 08 demo, slower speed, less suction checks and more overall sloppy play.

The BAP, I'm in love with. The first 2 games (one with Crosby, the other with Zetter) I was sloppy, giving up the puck, calling for a pass everytime, etc. And I payed for it, going down by a couple. I also struggled staying in my defensive position (but I'm sure that I'll get used to where I have to be as I get familiar). I also had some trouble following the puck early on, but as you play, you get quite familiar with it, and the camera becomes awesome. The only fall back is that sometimes you can't see where your teamates are if you're leading the rush.

Positionally, I found that the center is the position that drives the net more (but that just may be the strategies). As a center, I also had a lot more free reign as where to go. The winger just kind of streaks down the side of the ice.

Defensively, center is probobly the toughest position, as you usually have to be the third defender down low, while the wings just have to cover the point.

Also, I can't wait to play BAP as a grinder/power forward. As Crosby, I played some dump and chases, and just punished a few guys (with Crosby!). I had one guy lined up for an open ice hit too, but he was offside.

And with Zetter, I had a nice shoving match in front of the net with Orpik. Its also noticeable that Zetter is not a big hitter, as he just bumps people aside instead of laying them out.

Another improvement is that I find as a forward in the offensive zone, your pressured to make a decision more. You can't just sit there waiting to make your decision, you have to shoot, make a pass, or try to get by your man.

After I tried out BAP mode, I just couldn't turn back.

One last thing about BAP that I like is that if as a left wing if you end up on the right side, it won't foce you to move back, it'll tell you to position yourself as that position.

Overall, great game, I'm syched for BAP mode as a grinder, its going to be awesome.

Last edited by gosensgo101; 09-03-2008 at 07:47 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »