Home

NHL 09 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-04-2008, 10:31 AM   #57
Can't spell antetokounmpo

Bahnzo's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: NHL 09 Demo Available, Post Impressions Here

Some of the things that impress me most so far aren't anything big. In fact, it seems there isn't really anything large that was needed from last year, just a polish.

The highlights are better, and I mean they are more relevant.
AI is better. It's nice to see guys from both sides making plays when I'm not controlling them.
Goalie play much improved.

It's hard to put a finger on any one thing that's dramatically improved, but there's a lot of smaller things that were polished that will add up to a much better game this year.

Oh...also, I really like the stuff mapped to the d-pad. I just found it at the end of my last game, so haven't had time to mess with it, but it's great to see some stuff like breakout and forecheck settings.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #58
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

I don't mean to slam 09 either, although I guess I pretty much did. Overall it plays a good game of hockey. Many of my big problems with 08 have been fixed or at least tweaked.

09 is definitely going in the right direction, I was just hoping for more dramatic improvements, but I guess that is the usual for all sports gamers. After hearing all the PS3 people raving about it, my expectations were really high.

The "pinball" passing from 08 is gone, and that is a big plus.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #59
TOMBA IS ONLINE

Tomba's Arena

OVR: 65

A great game(NHL 08) made better.

I LOVE the fact that the tutorial actually just explains how things go now. i might have missed it last year but it never was THIS exact. this is almost like last gen's Winning Eleven mechanic when you shoot at goal. Simply fantastic stuff. Just wish there were maybe some outdoor rinks. that would be cool ala the Buffalo game....
Old 09-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #60
Hall Of Fame

mkharsh33's Arena

OVR: 35

i played this for an hour last night...

i agree that the speed is still too fast on the demo...will agree that this should be toned down.

i like the checking options...it's still too easy, but i did get caught a few times out of position, and unlike last year's game, i got burnt.

spacing of players seems to be a bit better...when you take chances and make stupid decisions you'll get scored on.

one-timers are toned down...this is a good thing.

i also like choosing separate lines for forward and d-men...nice addition.

i'm hoping that they shore up a few things before it comes out for real...this will be the best hockey game yet. not perfect, mind you, but very good.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:28 PM   #61
MVP

OVR: 24

one thing i liked is that the CPU's goals were all legit and not the same BS from 08 (slot top-shelf, off crossbar stuff that was automatic).

and also the CPU takes shots. No more 3-1 games with me having 50 shots and them having 10
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-04-2008, 01:58 PM   #62
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerosene31
I don't mean to slam 09 either, although I guess I pretty much did.
As long as what is posted is constructive/thoughtful/relevant, I don't see criticism as "bashing". The problems start when a good thing can't be said about one game without putting down the other, no matter which side is being praised/criticized. For example, a hypothetical unacceptable post:

"I really love what ___ has done with the ______ this year. I think that this will really improve the play on the ice because __________________. Not to mention that ___ totally screws this up in their game, what a crap-fest that game will be! Long live _____!

All it takes to make that a perfectly acceptable post is:

"I really love what ___ has done with the ______ this year. I think that this will really improve the play on the ice because __________________.

See what I mean? The point can easily be made without the second part... OK, enough of me already. I'm just aiming for preemptive strikes so that we can all enjoy the hockey gaming season no matter what game we prefer. Goodbye.

Last edited by Qb; 09-04-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:00 PM   #63
Banned

OVR: 29

One thing I'm not getting: Speed Burst.

How do you do it? Because I looked in the control and it made it look like pressing down on he left analog stick does it, but nothing I do with the analog stick makes my player skate faster. No button I pressed seemed to.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:07 PM   #64
Some say he...

kerosene31's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay
One thing I'm not getting: Speed Burst.

How do you do it?
You don't. There has been no speed burst since 07 I think.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »