Home

NHL 09 Patch Released (360/PS3) -- Impressions here please

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Patch Released (360/PS3) -- Impressions here please within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-13-2008, 09:31 PM   #97
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: NHL 09 Patch Released (360/PS3) -- Impressions here please

I realize a lot of people love this game and I'm not trying to rain on any parades....this is just my opinion.

Not digging this game....just not hockey. I've played it a lot post and pre patch and there is one GLARING issue I don't see anyone talkng about and it surprises me...........there are almost ZERO odd man rushes by both the AI and the human player. These plays are non existant in this game because the defense can skate backwards too quickly and force you outside entirely too easily.

This is a HUGE part of hockey and EA has decided to leave it out entirely.

Instead on offense everything is set up and executed as if you are on the PP.... this includes even strength 5 on 5 play.

It's the same thing over and over again.

-Gain puck possesion
-advance to offensive zone
-cycle for open shot

This makes for very monotenous gameplay and makes all teams play the same. Speed doesn't matter because you can not get out on odd man rushes.

ohiost
Old 11-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #98
Banned

OVR: 9

i know what you mean but that kind of is hockey. you can get them if the other team is playing aggresively especially in the 3-2 forecheck. but if you're losing and the other team is playing back then you aren't really going to get oddman chances or spring people on breakaways unless you can catch the other team in a change.

i think the bigger problem which makes the game boring at times is the lack of gap control on the rush by the cpu defense.

that's why i like playing at least 5 on 5 online. you can get creative on the rush with real people defending it, and if you've got 2 good defensman you can play some pretty nice D and actually force the other team to dump.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:32 PM   #99
Rookie

OVR: 2

tgalv,

I go to a lot of live Pro Hockey games and there are numerous odd man rush chances each game for each team.

This just isn't reflected in EA's game and it's a HUGE oversight.

These are a very big part of every teams stratedgy.... because they create your best scoring chances and goals result from them.

EA really needs to to a much better job in this area.

ohiost
Old 11-13-2008, 10:47 PM   #100
MVP

OVR: 16

The more I play this "post patch", I see other issues that are bothersome. My team does not get penalties called against them. If someone has way around this, please let me know. I"ll have 5 powerplays and no penalty kills. I play on all star and have penalties maxed.
Also, the CPU team committed a delay of game penalty 5, yes 5, times in a row. After each face off, they dumped it over the glass. This definitely needs addressed. I'm hoping EA releases a 2nd patch to tidy up the issues caused by the first patch. It is a better game, but these issues are bothersome.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:32 PM   #101
Sexiest Woman Alive!

Peji911's Arena

OVR: 17

I dont have access to the net on my 360. Would I be able to get this patch through the computer and install it on the 360?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-14-2008, 12:39 AM   #102
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjackets
tgalv,

I go to a lot of live Pro Hockey games and there are numerous odd man rush chances each game for each team.

This just isn't reflected in EA's game and it's a HUGE oversight.

These are a very big part of every teams stratedgy.... because they create your best scoring chances and goals result from them.

EA really needs to to a much better job in this area.

ohiost
Its never going to be 100% perfect hockey. Overall though it IS the most realistic game of the two without a doubt. Some of you guys looking for perfection, I'm sorry its just not going to happen.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:43 AM   #103
Banned

PodSquad's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Its never going to be 100% perfect hockey. Overall though it IS the most realistic game of the two without a doubt. Some of you guys looking for perfection, I'm sorry its just not going to happen.
Thats a HUGE apology for people who want to play online and get greeted with the 'cheat like a bastard' style of play.
Old 11-14-2008, 01:35 AM   #104
Pro

OVR: 22

So true, they tried to fix the cheese, instead we have a game where the cheese is concentrated around the net (wrappers, spins and 5-hole etc)and the diversity is limited, everyone can see that quite fast online. And the aiming causes everyone to attack much closer to the crease, which makes 90% of all goals being weird close crease goals. Add to that that everyone can deke thru traffic most of the time and that one-timers are super easy again (ala 08), there you go a run and gun gameplay without need to set up plays or play sound positioning. Post patch is so dissapointing. I had a good game but now it just sucks, it feels like NHL08 with a small update.

Itīs also insanely easy to deke like crazy thru traffic again, thanks alot EA , I didnīt pay for NHL08 1.01, the worst thing about 08 they fixed in NHL09, much better D, but now itīs rediculous.

Also the 08 defense is back with focus on hits. Since making stickwork less effective we now have crazy hitting on D as focus, not only does it look crap, itīs also friggin lame.

I say revert this patch, I can take any isssue I had with the old over this NHL08 look-a-like patch.

Oh, and for the record, I still havenīt lost, but damn, this game is so much less fun now. Talk about taking two steps back.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »