Home

NHL 09 Patch Released (360/PS3) -- Impressions here please

This is a discussion on NHL 09 Patch Released (360/PS3) -- Impressions here please within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #25
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: It's here! 360 patch released

I haven't seen a rise in delay of game calls either. What I have seen is the cpu taking a large number of penalties while my team does not. Only 3 games played, but I'm seeing 4.5 pp's per game for my team while the cpu has gotten a little over 1 per game on average.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2008, 03:39 PM   #26
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

I checked out the shooting accuracy drill and the default shot power generates lower powered shots than before the patch. I turned it up a notch and the cpu seems like it plays more of a threatening offensive game on SS again.
Old 11-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #27
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
I checked out the shooting accuracy drill and the default shot power generates lower powered shots than before the patch. I turned it up a notch and the cpu seems like it plays more of a threatening offensive game on SS again.
It would make sense if Littman & Co tuned shot power as well as shot accuracy in attempt to curb money goals in the EASHL. I don't think it was mentioned in the list, but it would be a logical step. Do the shots seems any slower at default during play or did you only notice it by the radar gun?
Old 11-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #28
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qb
It would make sense if Littman & Co tuned shot power as well as shot accuracy in attempt to curb money goals in the EASHL. I don't think it was mentioned in the list, but it would be a logical step. Do the shots seems any slower at default during play or did you only notice it by the radar gun?
It's hard to say, I think the bigger discrepancy during play is in the wrist shots. They don't seem to rifle off the stick like they used on any shot power. I think this combined with some tightening up of the goalie logic is what they did to eliminate money goals.

To get a really good wrister off you have to shoot it from a good platform by having your body balanced and being in a good place on the ice. The cpu seems to have a problem doing this, It appears they lack the logic to set their body up for the shot and end up firing a lot of floaty wristers into goalies.

The odd thing is that the slapshots actually seemed to have a bit more pace on them by default in spite of what the radar gun said. When I bumped the shot power up there didn't seem to be a noticeable difference visually on the slappers but the wrist shots seemed a little bit more alive.

Last edited by bad_philanthropy; 11-11-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:25 PM   #29
MVP

mudtiger's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
It's hard to say, I think the bigger discrepancy during play is in the wrist shots. They don't seem to rifle off the stick like they used on any shot power. I think this combined with some tightening up of the goalie logic is what they did to eliminate money goals.

To get a really good wrister off you have to shoot it from a good platform by having your body balanced and being in a good place on the ice. The cpu seems to have a problem doing this, It appears they lack the logic to set their body up for the shot and end up firing a lot of floaty wristers into goalies.

The odd thing is that the slapshots actually seemed to have a bit more pace on them by default in spite of what the radar gun said. When I bumped the shot power up there didn't seem to be a noticeable difference visually on the slappers but the wrist shots seemed a little bit more alive.
I'd agree with that. The human player that already is in the habit of taking good shots will have no trouble scoring (or at least it shouldn't be too much harder post patch). The cpu was not in the habit of doing this. A lot of the cpu goals were generated out of thin air pre-patch. Some of those magic cpu goals have been cut back and the cpu cannot adjust to that.

Seems like to me good shots go in just as much now as they did pre patch, but poor shots now are less likely to go in. A lot of the cpu goals were scored off of poor shots pre patch so I'm thinking the difficulty in this game has gone down quite a bit with this patch. Only played 5 games now, but that's my early impression.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:36 PM   #30
MVP

BIG CAROLINA's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtiger
I haven't seen a rise in delay of game calls either. What I have seen is the cpu taking a large number of penalties while my team does not. Only 3 games played, but I'm seeing 4.5 pp's per game for my team while the cpu has gotten a little over 1 per game on average.
I have played 3 games post patch using your sliders and in my last game each team had 6 PP's on 10 minute periods on AS. I feel like this is a brand new game post patch.

PSN: BIG_CAROLINA

"Life is too short for a man to hold bitterness in his heart."
Marshall W. "Major" Taylor
Old 11-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #31
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudtiger
I'd agree with that. The human player that already is in the habit of taking good shots will have no trouble scoring (or at least it shouldn't be too much harder post patch). The cpu was not in the habit of doing this. A lot of the cpu goals were generated out of thin air pre-patch. Some of those magic cpu goals have been cut back and the cpu cannot adjust to that.

Seems like to me good shots go in just as much now as they did pre patch, but poor shots now are less likely to go in. A lot of the cpu goals were scored off of poor shots pre patch so I'm thinking the difficulty in this game has gone down quite a bit with this patch. Only played 5 games now, but that's my early impression.

I'm not sure if it's that the cpu logic has adjusted to the fact that it can't generate offense off of any shot anymore, but they seem much less decisive, even bumbling in the offensive zone now. Before, the cpu was able maintain possession a lot better in my offensive zone and made a lot more strong plays with the puck that I'm just not seeing anymore.

I like most of what the patch has to offer and I'll reserve final judgement until I get a good amount of games under my belt and play around with sliders.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-11-2008, 05:14 PM   #32
All Star

nyisles16's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CAROLINA
I have played 3 games post patch using your sliders and in my last game each team had 6 PP's on 10 minute periods on AS. I feel like this is a brand new game post patch.
I suck on power plays... Just went 1 for 12 (yes - 12!!) powerplays..

(Columbus vs Dallas)

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »