Home

New NHL 11 Details via OXM

This is a discussion on New NHL 11 Details via OXM within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-26-2010, 03:39 AM   #41
Pro

Lubey's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: New NHL 11 Details via OXM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanew21
+1

So many people don't know this rule. Every time I'm at a hockey game (or playing a hockey game) the fans go crazy if they see a hand pass, but fail to realize it's legal in the defensive zone.
No kidding. I played defense and utilized this all the time. Sometimes the refs would realize it was legal after blowing the whistle. The rules might differ by league.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2010, 04:17 AM   #42
Rookie

The Visualizer's Arena

OVR: 6

nice...maybe I will actually be able to win a couple faceoffs this year

Old 05-26-2010, 04:18 AM   #43
Proctor, MN. Go Rails!

Vikes1's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
From what I'm getting out of the early information is the entire game is based on the physics engine and not so much based on some new mechanic like faceoffs for example.
This is how I'm taking it too Realmk. I hope to God the new physics cover nearly all aspects of the game.

Hopefully this new engine will prove to be more than just a name. And it will truly change the way we play the game. Can't wait to see video evidence of the new physics in action. I'm not expecting "Backbreaker" type of results. But hopefully something that makes a nice difference from where we are now.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:25 AM   #44
Pro

Lubey's Arena

If it's enough to result in broken sticks in a way that's realistic, it's gonna be a good thing. The devs said they did it right and based on the past 4 years I believe them.
Old 05-26-2010, 04:43 AM   #45
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes1
This is how I'm taking it too Realmk. I hope to God the new physics cover nearly all aspects of the game.

Hopefully this new engine will prove to be more than just a name. And it will truly change the way we play the game. Can't wait to see video evidence of the new physics in action. I'm not expecting "Backbreaker" type of results. But hopefully something that makes a nice difference from where we are now.
Funny you mention it, backbreaker came to mind when I was initially reading the info. If that's the direction the team is moving in to try and make the game more realistic, I'm all for it. Littman's theme has consistantly been to make the game real and authentic and given their track record so far considering the game has gotten at least a little better each year, it sounds like NHL11 might actually be making some bigger leaps than 08/09/10 did.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-26-2010, 04:47 AM   #46
Pro

Lubey's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealmK
Funny you mention it, backbreaker came to mind when I was initially reading the info. If that's the direction the team is moving in to try and make the game more realistic, I'm all for it. Littman's theme has consistantly been to make the game real and authentic and given their track record so far considering the game has gotten at least a little better each year, it sounds like NHL11 might actually be making some bigger leaps than 08/09/10 did.
Agreed. There's the potential for it at least. Most of my EASHL team and myself have agreed the series needs some sort of new engine to try to get rid of all the ways a user can exploit the animation system of the game, whether it be dekeing or whatever. I'm still wrapping my head around how the new physics engine could potentially change different situations in the game, but it seems quite promising. For example, if there is stick collision, which seems optimistic but not impossible considering there are broken sticks, then people wouldn't be able to deke through 3 guys as easily anymore.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:01 AM   #47
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:

So instead of improving the game by, say, doubling the number of animations, "It's using physics," he shares. "It's not animation-driven."

Please let this apply for goalies as well. It about time we had puck aware goalies, not scripted saves. Nothing feels worse than being stuck out of position in a tight game because the goalie needs to finish an animation and having an easy save scored on you. Wraparounds are far too easy online since human goalies take a second (a long time in such a fast game) to move from post to post with RT, simply because that's how many frames are in the animation. I want to see my goalie push off with all his leg strength and get over and make the easy stop.

Also, hopefully with dynamic physics based gameplay comes the AI awareness required to pull it off successfully. With canned or scripted animations, awareness of the game situation does not need to be very high since it is just following pre-set rules. I'd like to see player awareness similar to that of a certain physics based football game that is released next month. Then the game will be truly spectacular.

Finally, thanks EA. Thanks a whole bunch. I swore to myself I wouldn't get sucked into the media hype like a player sucked in by boardplay for NHL 11. I told myself I'd wait a month or two, see other people's reactions and then consider the purchase. This will be very difficult now. Very difficult indeed. Thanks a lot for a genuine love of hockey, video games and listening to your playerbase

Last edited by Primal80s; 05-26-2010 at 05:01 AM. Reason: to -> too
Old 05-26-2010, 07:24 AM   #48
Banned

OVR: 20

Well I'll be damned. That sounds nice.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »