Home

New NHL 11 Details via OXM

This is a discussion on New NHL 11 Details via OXM within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-27-2010, 08:55 PM   #57
Banned

OVR: 2
Re: New NHL 11 Details via OXM

The question is: Is it exciting enough to actually pay for the demo? Remember, this will be EA's first time charging people for it.

Who's going to be the guinea pig?
Old 05-27-2010, 09:31 PM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 4

Where are you getting this new information? I doubt they'd make us pay for a demo
Old 05-27-2010, 10:02 PM   #59
Rookie

ianlast's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeicide
This physics thing is a tough one for me, i just dont see how its going to be done properly without redoing the whole engine. Do they mean real physics within their engine or REAL world physics all i can say is what is in the game now is the opposite of real physics as far as the puck goes im guessing its everything but the puck in this case.
If they could somehow create realistic puck physics with this engine ill be all over it as it would go along way towards changing the feeling of the game which doesn't always feel as if it would be happening this way in real life.
This is an excellent post. Particularly the bolded part.

If every aspect of the game is physics-based, then that's awesome news. But right now I'm going to take this all with a grain of salt. Does this mean the goalie animations are no longer canned? That they've captured the momentum and inertia of real-life skating? If so, NHL 11 will be a must buy for me. But I'm going to remain skeptical until I actually hear this confirmed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06woz
Real time physics is a new engine.
You don't know for a fact that they've scrapped the old 'engine' and created a completely new one.

Last edited by ianlast; 05-27-2010 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:05 PM   #60
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06woz
Where are you getting this new information? I doubt they'd make us pay for a demo
In fact, there was an online publication interview with EA's CEO John Riccitiello about it maybe a month or so ago. Someone posted the link on the EA forum and it got deleted by the mods. Here is the link:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/2...e_Launches.php

It appears there may be two demos: one mini demo and one "premium" demo that you have to pay for.

Enjoy it come September.
Old 05-28-2010, 12:00 AM   #61
Rookie

OVR: 3

That would be asanine if EA forced you to pay for a demo, then pay full price when the game comes out. Demos should be free, no matter what. No wonder this economy is down the crapper. These companiies are so " money hungry" and its crazy. I guess we'll have to just wait and see.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-28-2010, 12:34 AM   #62
Pro

JimmyDeicide's Arena

OVR: 5

I dont know much but i do know its not going to be a new engine, come on.
Old 05-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #63
Banned

bill2451's Arena

OVR: 16

you guys realize there are multiple "engines" that make up a game, right

the sheer fact that they are attempting to add physics means that there will be a "physics engine"... the question is to what degree this engine takes effect in the game (aka mainly how much it replaces mocap/scripted animations)

if every "collision" is physics based (think Backbreaker), I will be ecstatic, but I am going to wait to get my hopes up until I hear some actual details
Old 05-28-2010, 01:02 AM   #64
Banned

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDeicide
This physics thing is a tough one for me, i just dont see how its going to be done properly without redoing the whole engine. Do they mean real physics within their engine or REAL world physics all i can say is what is in the game now is the opposite of real physics as far as the puck goes im guessing its everything but the puck in this case.
If they could somehow create realistic puck physics with this engine ill be all over it as it would go along way towards changing the feeling of the game which doesn't always feel as if it would be happening this way in real life.
The way I'm taking it, is they implimented an actual physics engine to help drive the game. It wouldn't make much sense for it to just apply to hitting and nothing else. Really the only issue with 10 when it came to puck physics is it didn't bounce as realistically and as much as it would in real life other than that 10's puck physics weren't all that different than 2k10's the difference being 2k10's puck would unrealistically flip all over the place for the sake of flipping more often than not yet strangely remained glued and magnetic to player's sticks, even at times said player was checked flat on his tail end.

Hard to say if its real world physics or something more akin to something like the physics engine Backbreaker employs though I would be inclined to guess its prolly something in between. If it makes the game play better or react in a more realistic fashion, I'd say thats a step forward.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »