Home

NHL 11 Video: Quick Clip 4B - The Call / Quick Clip 5 - Opening Sequences

This is a discussion on NHL 11 Video: Quick Clip 4B - The Call / Quick Clip 5 - Opening Sequences within the EA Sports NHL Legacy forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:09 PM   #25
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: NHL 11 Video: Quick Clip 4B - The Call / Quick Clip 5 - Opening Sequences

I see TSN's wipe when i watch NHL 11's. Gotta love seeing the same arena for both CHL teams lol. Commentary is stale as can be, its time to change it up. Same intro for all three teams is not a good sign lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #26
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I guess I'll be the black cloud.
The presentation looks a lot better, but I was bored by the 3rd entrance (Mtl-NYI). It's the same thing over and over.
And I wonder if the players shown in the split-screen will always be the same-handed, no matter which way they shoot. Stuff like that really bothers me. I guess I'm just incredibly anal when it comes to that.
But I have to think most baseball fans would be ticked off if they saw the same cut-scene of players warming up and seeing Albert Pujol's taking a few practice swings as a lefty.

I'd prefer a more dynamic, real-time opening to the games.
Have multiple camera angles selected randomly, show the players shooting around, warming up. Just make it seem more organic than giving us the same 4 scenes over and over.

I'll probably be skipping through this by game 3 of my Dynasty.
The only way I keep it going is if they give us updated stats during the intro's. Something like "Jeff Carter is on an 8-game goal scoring streak, while Ron Ellis is struggling with a 3.08 GAA over his last 4 starts".
Stuff like that is awesome. But if it's just the same stale entry, I'd rather just pass over it.
Your not alone Money99. I'm with you on the presentation part. It's the same scenes over and over again and it does get repetitive. They need to add much more to the presentation. Like you said have random camera entrances, a fly by of the stadium from outside with the fans lining up and getting ready to watch the game for example. Goalie stat comparisons. Pre game season stats (wins, losses GAA etc.. current and career stats etc.. have them rotated for example) for both goalies should be shown in every season game. I like the idea of showing who's hot and who's cold from both teams. Player(s) or team on a streak before the puck drops etc..

I hope next year they focus on the presentation, seeing how the gameplay is solid.

Last edited by Peter_OS; 07-27-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:39 PM   #27
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiman
It could be done. See MLB 10 the Show...
Exactly!
Old 07-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #28
Rookie

KraZe's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlybygrace
MLB 2K10 does the same thing. Do yourself a favor. Go rent it and after starting a franchise, simulate into the second month of the regular season (thats when it goes from awesome to simply amazing). After this, play a game (btw, you can play any game during franchise) and prepare to have your mind blown.

It's as comprehensive as you would see on TV. Simply unbelievable. It's everything statistical presentation should be or could be even as there isn't a whole lot they could do better.

In fact...its so damn comprehensive that if I were to write down every single statistical stat I would probably fill a notebook paper with statistical tidbits.

Whats really great...

once you get past the first month of the season the stats really come to life.

I'm going to write an article about this very subject soon.

Statistical presentation of this caliber is no longer a figment of our imaginations...its being done and by multiple game designers and IMO it is really preventing EA's NHL series from becoming the series it could be.
I'll see about getting my hands on it so I can take a peak at what you're saying. I, for one, hope I'm wrong with my thoughts of the limitations in voice-overs.
Old 07-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #29
MVP

onlybygrace's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraZe
I'll see about getting my hands on it so I can take a peak at what you're saying. I, for one, hope I'm wrong with my thoughts of the limitations in voice-overs.
Of course there are limitations for voice overs, because nobody has yet to set new standards.

However, when it comes to statistical overlays, its not just possible--it's a reality.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:39 AM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 4
I'm ecstatic the CHL is in the game, bu disgusted gary thorne is the play by play guy. He correctly pronounces 70 percent of the player names properly, if that. He is BRUTAL
Old 07-28-2010, 02:57 AM   #31
Banned

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
I guess I'll be the black cloud.
The presentation looks a lot better, but I was bored by the 3rd entrance (Mtl-NYI). It's the same thing over and over.
And I wonder if the players shown in the split-screen will always be the same-handed, no matter which way they shoot. Stuff like that really bothers me. I guess I'm just incredibly anal when it comes to that.
But I have to think most baseball fans would be ticked off if they saw the same cut-scene of players warming up and seeing Albert Pujol's taking a few practice swings as a lefty.

I'd prefer a more dynamic, real-time opening to the games.
Have multiple camera angles selected randomly, show the players shooting around, warming up. Just make it seem more organic than giving us the same 4 scenes over and over.

I'll probably be skipping through this by game 3 of my Dynasty.
The only way I keep it going is if they give us updated stats during the intro's. Something like "Jeff Carter is on an 8-game goal scoring streak, while Ron Ellis is struggling with a 3.08 GAA over his last 4 starts".
Stuff like that is awesome. But if it's just the same stale entry, I'd rather just pass over it.
You've summed up exactly how I feel Money.

Judging by this video presentation still needs a lot of work.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-28-2010, 05:29 AM   #32
Rookie

OVR: 0

looking at stats and presentation and the argument "it is too difficult/ can not be done".

It CAN be done, because it is very simple. Let's face the facts:

All NHL-Player names will be pre-recorded
Numbers from 1-20 will be pre-recorded.
All NHL Teams will be pre-recorded.

All you need now are sentences like:

"[PLAYER X] is on a hot streak, scoring [Number X] goals in the last [Number Y] games."
"[Goalie X] has only won [Number X] in his last [Number Y] starts, let's see how he does today."
"The [Team name X] are on a hot streak right now, having won [number x] of their last [number Y] games."

Put these into the opening scene and you have a brand new game.

For those who have played NFL2K5, do you remember having Sports Center? Around the leagues scores? I want that! Heck, even NHL94 had scores around the league and showed highlights from other games (even if they usually were shots from center ice which the goalie couldn't cope with, but still...). NHL94 even had the NHL Awards after the season ended! It can be done! So bring it!

The PS3 has got a blu-ray discs with TONS of space on it, fill it up!

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL > EA Sports NHL Legacy »