Home

We have a football team too... Guru's UConn Huskies (NCAA 14)

This is a discussion on We have a football team too... Guru's UConn Huskies (NCAA 14) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #1065
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: We have a football team too... Guru's UConn Huskies (NCAA 14)

Howard named recipient of Harrell Sportsman Award

Senior D-tackle third winner of prestigious UConn award

Senior defensive tackle Brent Howard has been named as the third recipient of the Quintin Harrell Defensive Sportsman Award in a press conference hosted by Coach Diaco. The Award recognizes senior players (preferably defensive players and/or interior linemen) who have shown leadership and perseverance throughout their college careers. The nominee each year receives a plaque and the jersey #95, worn by Harrell during his time at UConn.

Howard is a fifth year senior who will get his first chance to start at nose tackle this year following the graduation of three-year starter T.J. Newell. Howard has had chances to transfer, but has stuck it out with UConn and will get his chance this fall. Howard has recorded 11 career tackles, 3 for loss, along with a pair of sacks in limited playing time.

Despite the inexperience, Howard could be in line for a big season. The first two winners of the award, James Atkins in 2018 and Gene Jackson in 2019, combined for 40 sacks in their year wearing #95. Both were consensus first-team All-Americans and won multiple national awards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Howard
Being a teammate of Quintin's, albeit only for a few years, it means a lot to win this award. I'll do the best I can to continue to pass on the spirit of leadership and selflessness that Quintin and others have displayed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Diaco
Brent is a very deserving young man for this award..
he became friends with Quintin while he was here and obviously a lot of his demeanor follows that example. I'm happy that he'll get to wear his buddy's #95 for his senior year and I hope to see him continue to lead our younger players and be a positive influence in our locker room and our community.

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

OS' biggest game show nut.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-16-2017, 08:52 PM   #1066

Cheese2121's Arena

OVR: 1

Very cool organic idea. I have probably missed this in previous seasons as I am just getting all caught up but it is the little things like this that really make a dynasty come alive. Also I love to see the big guys getting a little love. Too often they are the unsung heroes in my mind.

XBL Gamer Tag: MrCheese2121 (feel free to add/message me!)

Currently Playing:
NCAA '12 (Xbox 360)
Old 07-17-2017, 12:05 AM   #1067
MVP

Knickerbocker91's Arena

OVR: 9

Loving that you've still kept up with all the created coaches, cool to see them moving up in the ranks. Looking forward to the upcoming season.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #1068
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese2121
Very cool organic idea. I have probably missed this in previous seasons as I am just getting all caught up but it is the little things like this that really make a dynasty come alive. Also I love to see the big guys getting a little love. Too often they are the unsung heroes in my mind.
It's just a little something I started after the Natty run and Harrell graduating... I plucked the inspiration from another dynasty on the boards (though I can't remember which..) but it's still a very neat storyline to keep tabs on, and introduce readers to potential key players for the upcoming year who may not always get the praise/love they deserve, as you mentioned with the uglies on the line Especially when these guys have toiled on Diaco's bench for four years.. they really deserve some love.

Thanks for checking in Cheese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knickerbocker91
Loving that you've still kept up with all the created coaches, cool to see them moving up in the ranks. Looking forward to the upcoming season.
But of course! I have to keep with the CAC's.. truthfully it's my favorite part of the dynasty at times. And additionally, whereas recruiting or position changes may be the favorite spots of most players.. CAC has made coaching carousel my favorite part of the offseason.

I was so thrilled to see Freday finally move up, and Coach Miller get promoted too.. though it sucks that only three guys got new jobs this year, I'm really hoping that 2020 is the year where a bunch of CAC's win conference championships and pull out 10-win seasons.. then that promotion list will swell next offseason. And it'll be more fun because I can schedule games against the CAC head coaches too! You can bet UNLV will be getting a call from Coach Diaco very soon..

2020 will be an interesting year for UConn, I too am intrigued to get started. I've got the roster/preseason post scheduled next and I think we can make a run based off talent alone. We have most of our defense back. Adding Smelley as a grad transfer helps fix our O-Line problem a bit and Ferwerda has been a dynamic receiver in practice to team with Rashad Harris. We have two capable tailbacks and a redshirt freshman I'm really excited to see. If we find a QB we're going places.

Thank you as well for dropping in!

6x Super Bowl Champion Patriots |Red Sox | Celtics | Bruins |Boston College | USC | NASCAR Young Guns

Last edited by thesportsguru11; 07-17-2017 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 10:27 PM   #1069
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

2020 UConn Preview

S/O to Hellisan for the clean roster format inspiration!

UConn Captains:

FB Alfred Hart
FS Ross Sinclair

UConn Impact Players:

RB Luke Williamson
WR Rashad Harris
LB Sammie Leonard
LB John Cox

Guru's Thoughts:
TDL v. I-Jax... looks like Diaco wants TDL under center against Indiana but I can't help but wonder if I-Jax's penchant for playing in the clutch will give him an edge if TDL falters even a little bit. I don't expect this race to be over after Week 1. Diaco also intends to keep Appleby and Paige active this year.. though one (or both) may get the redshirt later in the year if they aren't playing. Nice to have insurance, though.

Guru's Thoughts:
While McNeal is rated higher, Williamson will be the starter while McNeal will take some snaps at tailback and play wide receiver to mix up the formation subs. Williamson almost had 1000 yards last year after starting the last 13 games in place of McNeal. Look for Byers to get some snaps this year.. the staff likes him a lot and it's easy to see why.

At fullback, Alfred Hart will return for his fourth season as starter. His blocking is better than the stats may indicate. Goff is a capable backup in case something extreme happens.

Guru's Thoughts:
Harris is the man on the outside while Lacey and McNeal will probably play the other outside position in formations which call for extra wideouts. Otherwise, Ferwerda will be on the outside and play slot in those special formations. He's fast for a 6'4 receiver and has received a lot of high praise from the coaches this spring. Redshirt freshman Devin Brown will see a bunch of time this year as well. Keep your eyes on former walk-on Johnny Williams, and redshirt freshman Marcus Rodgers and Drew Talley.

Royce Archie returns at tight end, and he'll be backed up by Ja'Montres Jones while Ryne Thomas will get some reps as a fifth/sixth wideout and extra blocker in certain situations.

Guru's Thoughts:
A lot of turnover on the line, but a mixture of familiar faces in Vince Jones, Webb and Ginn, plus some new ones in Kevin Jones, Smelley and Sykes as a top backup should make for a decent bunch. The line should be in solid shape moving forward and into the future with a bunch of young guys and more reinforcements expected to come in with the 2021 recruiting cycle. Personally, I'm most excited to see Smelley on the field.

Guru's Thoughts:
Rourke returns, and Gardner barely won the job at the other end spot, likely because of his pass rushing tendencies in the high-octane Big 12. Rourke, while a steady statistical end in his first three years, will try to become more of a game-breaking end like Gene Jackson and Cam Stapleton in years past. Newly minted #95 wearer Brent Howard will be the starting nose tackle but keep an eye on Jeremy Broadricke. He's added some bulk to his frame over the summer and with a little more weight he could be a Diaco nose tackle, and a good one at that.

Guru's Thoughts:
Deepest spot on the team, no question about it. Duchane usurped the second starting middle 'backer spot toward the end of the year and forced the transfer of two linebackers in his spot. It's his job to lose... former four-star prospect Mike Hill has looked good in camp. With Duchane, all four starting linebackers from last year return.

Bradford makes all the big plays, Leonard is productive and a great athlete. Cox may be the lowest-rated, but he also may be the best of the group. He's fast, a fantastic run stopper and is solid in coverage. Some of UConn's fantastic linebacking prospects from the 2018 class are now finally starting to emerge on the depth chart.. they've got next.

Guru's Thoughts:
Crowder is back after 8 INT's last year, but now needs to shake off a rough spring. Wade asserted himself as the #2 corner early last year as a true freshman. He is closing in on Crowder's skill level in coverage already, and could be better than Crowder when all is said and done. Parks will continue to handle slot corner duties as well as assorted tasks on offense, while former walk-on J.D. Rudie, along with sophomores Kent Newton and Sam Barnett, enter the fray. Guru's favorite recruit of this cycle, Tory Greening, will be redshirted, but don't forget about him.

At safety, the giant Ross Sinclair returns to the back end for the fourth straight year, and Diaco has decided upon Victor Castalanetta to handle strong safety duties to start out the year. We mustn't forget Diaco's notorious short leash, however, so hopefully Castalanetta can play well. Keep an eye on redshirt freshman Tony Rush, who will ascend into Sinclair's spot next year. Top ranked prospect Aaron Brook will be redshirted simply to save his year of eligibility. Rudie and redshirt frosh Kion East will back up Castalanetta.

Guru's Thoughts:
The steady duo of Miller at kicker and McCray at punter return for the fourth and final year. We're hoping that Miller has improved his leg strength, while McCray is looking to improve on last year's 47.0 average and cement his place as the best punter in UConn history.

Guru's Thoughts: Nothing terribly surprising, except for a lot of different formations that will be tried out by Diaco to accommodate his best players (such as creating spots for McNeal and Thomas on offense, for example). Diaco will stick to the vanilla, 3-4 defense, but I'm expecting a little bit of a difference in offensive philosophy in year 3 of the offensive coordinator Bill Cubit era.

Guru's Thoughts: Per usual, Diaco will run the Huskies through the gauntlet early with trips to Michigan, Tennessee, Oklahoma and Foxborough to play BC.. all four will be ranked and competitive. The BC and Oklahoma games in a span of five days will be hell for Diaco, but UConn always seems to find a way.

Typical Big 12 East schedule gets interrupted by a visit to DKR Stadium in Texas instead of the TCU matchup. With the East division projecting weaker this year than last, UConn could very easily get back to the Big 12 CCG in Jerruh World this year.

Last edited by thesportsguru11; 07-17-2017 at 10:49 PM.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:37 AM   #1070
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

A fan's guide to 2020: Every FBS head coach

For reference, I have written down all 126 (or whatever it is) coaches of each FBS team, organized by conference.

I didn't do any coordinators like I have in the past .. but if you have any questions (who a guy is, what school he came from before his current job, where is this coach now, etc.), please ask! Enjoy!

ACC:

Virginia Tech - Lane Kiffin
Miami-FL - Al Golden
Duke - David Cutcliffe
North Carolina - Rick Stockstill
Georgia Tech - Paul Johnson
Virginia - Josh Conklin
Boston College - Mike Cummings
Wake Forest - Dave Clawson
NC State - Bo Pelini
Florida State - Jimbo Fisher
Clemson - Jeff Brohm
Louisville - Dave Steckel
Pitt - Kurt Roper
Syracuse - Bryan Cook

B1G:

Michigan - Brady Hoke
Wisconsin - Gary Andersen
Penn State - James Franklin
Ohio State - Urban Meyer
Iowa - Kirk Ferentz
Minnesota - Jerry Kill
Illinois - Tim Beckman
Michigan State - Mark Dantonio
Purdue - Travis Bush
Northwestern - Pat Fitzgerald
Indiana - Bob Shoop
Nebraska - Scott Frost
Maryland - Tony Gibson
Rutgers - Steve Spurrier Jr.

Big 12:

Iowa State - Paul Rhoads
Kansas - Tyrone Nix
Kansas State - Trent Miles
Texas - Charlie Strong
Oklahoma - Bob Stoops
Oklahoma State - Mark Hudspeth
Baylor - Art Briles
Texas Tech - Nick Howell
West Virginia - Bill Legg
TCU - Gary Patterson
UConn - Bob Diaco
Houston - Tony Levine

Pac-12

USC - Quinn Shea
UCLA - Jim Mora
Cal - Ron Turner
Oregon State - Jay Johnson
Oregon - Mark Helfrich
Arizona State - Todd Graham
Arizona - Rich Rodriguez
Stanford - Bud Foster
Washington - Chris Petersen
Washington State - Kaelyn Willingham
Utah - Scot Loeffler
Colorado - Don Pellum

SEC:

Florida - Will Muschamp
Georgia - Mark Richt
Tennessee - Marty English
South Carolina - Tyson Summers
Kentucky - Kirby Smart
Vanderbilt - David Shaw
Missouri - Gary Pinkel
Texas A&M - Jeff Ulbrich
LSU - Sterlin Gilbert
Auburn - Gus Malzahn
Alabama - Blake Anderson
Arkansas - Lorenzo Ward
Ole Miss - Hugh Freeze
Mississippi State - Brian Scott

AAC:

UCF - Mike Denbrock
Tulane - Steve Addazio
Tulsa - Bill Blankenship
Temple - Matt Rhule
USF - Willie Taggart
Army West Point - Jeff Monken
Cincinnati - Matt Limegrover
ECU - Scott Satterfield
Marshall - Mike Locksley
Memphis - Justin Fuente
Navy - Ken Niumatalolo
SMU - Robert Anae

C-USA

Old Dominion - James Coley
FAU - Randy Sanders
Western Kentucky - Kyle Flood
FIU - Kevin Sumlin
Louisiana Tech - Dan Enos
Middle Tennessee State - Walt Bell
Southern Miss - Brian Polian
North Texas - Dan McCarney
UTSA - Kevin Kelly
Texas State - Dennis Franchione
Rice - Kirk Ciarrocca
UTEP - Buster Faulkner

Indies:

Notre Dame - Brian Kelly
BYU - Bronco Mendenhall
UMass - Hank Hughes
UAB - A.J. Milwee

MAC:

Akron - Terry Bowden
Kent State - Bobby Wilder
Ohio - Luke Fickell
Buffalo - Jeff Quinn
Bowling Green - Noel Mazzone
Miami-OH - Ted Roof
Western Michigan - Chris Klieman
NIU - P.J. Fleck
Toledo - Tim Albin
Eastern Michigan - Chris Creighton
Ball State - Vince Kehres
Central Michigan - Doug Martin

Mountain West:

Wyoming - Rick Stockstill
Colorado State - Jay Bateman
Boise State - Bryan Harsin
New Mexico - Bob Davie
Air Force - Troy Calhoun
Utah State - Keith Patterson
Fresno State - Tim DeRuyter
San Diego State - Pat Narduzzi
San Jose State - Brian Rock
Hawai’i - Bob Trebell
Nevada - Dabo Swinney
UNLV - Sam Freday

Sun Belt:

Arkansas State - Doug Meacham
Georgia State - Charlie Partridge
New Mexico State - Bob Stitt
ULM - Mike London
Louisiana - Dale Miller
South Alabama - Joe Cauthen
Idaho - Paul Petrino
Troy - Lance Leipold

Last edited by thesportsguru11; 07-18-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:40 AM   #1071
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

2020 Preseason NCAA 1st Team All-Americans
PosPlayer NameHtWtYear
QBAshton Overstreet, OklahomaSr.
HBTannis Sierra, ArkansasSr.
HBEric Bonds, AlabamaSr.
WRAdam Ryan, Miami-FLJr.
WRRashad Harris, UConnSr.
TEStephen Williams, MichiganJr.
TRob Bell, Penn StateSr.
GSam Barron, OklahomaSr.
CLionel McLaurin, FloridaSr.
GConley Ward, Ohio StateSr.
TKenneth Gilmore, Florida StateSr.
DEPaul Odom, North CarolinaSr.
DEZorlan Crossley, IllinoisSr.
DTWillie Wynn, Michigan StateSr.
DTKris Inkster, USFSr.
LBJohn Cox, UConnJr.
LBSammie Leonard, UConnSr.
LBMarcus Bradford, UConnSr.
CBJames McNair, TennesseeSr.
CBJake Crowder, UConnSr.
SSamson Newby, AuburnJr.
SRyson Blades, Ohio StateSr.
KBrandon Shaw, OregonSr.
PDerek Doty, Ole MissJr.
RSCarlton Parker, UConnJr.

2020 Preseason 1st Team All-Big 12
PosPlayer NameHtWtYear
QBAshton Overstreet, OklahomaSr.
HBLonnie Wright, Oklahoma StateSr.
HBLuke Williamson, UConnSo.
WRVanarius Barrett, TCUSr.
WRRashad Harris, UConnSr.
TEJon Huff, BaylorSr.
TJesse Bailey, HoustonSr.
GSam Barron, OklahomaSr.
CMatt Garrett, TexasJr.
GTim Bailey, Iowa StateSr.
TCarnell McCoy, OklahomaJr.
DETrevor Jackson, KansasSr.
DEBrad Robbins, HoustonJr.
DTBen Morse, Iowa StateJr.
DTFillip Rendresselman, BaylorJr.
LBJohn Cox, UConnJr.
LBSammie Leonard, UConnSr.
LBMarcus Bradford, UConnSr.
CBTerrence Thomas, OklahomaSr.
CBJake Crowder, UConnSr.
SRoss Sinclair, UConnSr.
SWallace Appleby, Texas TechSr.
KJoey Stetson, Oklahoma StateSr.
PVictor Kalataneta, Kansas StateJr.
RSCarlton Parker, UConnJr.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #1072
Cooking With Sauce

thesportsguru11's Arena

Next Page...

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »