Home

The N"If"L - A Look into the Future of an Alternate NFL

This is a discussion on The N"If"L - A Look into the Future of an Alternate NFL within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-17-2016, 06:10 AM   #73
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: The N"If"L - A Look into the Future of an Alternate NFL

Year 3 17/18 - Week 9

Your One Stop Shop For Everything Pro Football!

Carson Dietrich, Senior Writer

Mid Season Power Rankings

Week 9, so 8 games are in the books. I love how these power rankings look (apart from one franchise....), new teams up near the top, I love the NFL!

32) Miami Dolphins 0-8
This team isn't good and already Mike McCarthy will be on a short leash. It isn't even close to good. They rank bottom or bottom 3 of nearly every offensive stat that there is. The crazy thing, they're 3rd in sacks on defence! Suh has 7.5, but it's irrelevant with how bad this offence has been. A new QB could be on the horizon, and McCarthy would relish shaping that player if he is still around.

31) New York Giants - 1-7
Has it been a lean spell for the Giants. #1 pick last season, they might get it again at this rate. They can't stop anyone, 32nd in points allowed, 31st in rushing yards allowed, and Kellen Moore isn't exactly the savior at QB. This isn't going to end well, but hopefully it ends soon. Marvin Lewis is 4-20 since being appointed as Head Coach.

30) Cleveland Browns - 2-5
Cleveland need to take the safety off this season and just let Nate Gray show what he can do. Manziel had a go this season, and isn't getting it done. Even Mark Sanchez has had a go this season, we all saw how that went. At this point, see what the kid can do. That's why they drafted him, right?!

29) San Diego Chargers - 2-5
Having Rivers and Gordon injured isn't going to help any franchise, but the Chargers are really in a bad spot. You get the feeling they may pick up once both return, but until then the offence will continue to stutter.

28) Houston Texans - 2-5
The bright spot is the Texans have 26 sacks on defence, 2nd in the NFL. The downside is they are job sharing at QB between Geno Smith and Colt McCoy(!). Maybe J.J. Watt can play at QB? Someone has to. Ryan Mack wont be surprised by what he has inherited in Houston, but he is sure to want a new QB as soon as possible.

27) Washington Redskins - 2-5
This is problem with starting young QBs, they are going to hit a wall at some point. Mike Stark impressed me last season, but he has 8 picks so far, and Washington can't stop anyone on defence, especially against the pass. Bad combination. The defence looks terminal, but Stark should recover.

26) Chicago Bears - 3-4
This is a high spot for the Bears! Unfortunately, that high spot is still 26th in a 32 team league. They lack talent on both sides of the ball. That is a tough thing to rectify quickly.

25) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - 2-6
I like these Buccs. Don't ask me why though. If Tampa can just keep Winston on his feet, he will be able to help them win games. 32 sacks in 8 games is bad news. I feel they could be close to turning a corner though.

24) New Orleans Saints - 3-4
Shoulda hung em up Drew! In fairness, I think he is trying too hard to carry this team. 1,800 yards and 17 TDs is nice, but the 8 interceptions have hurt. What hurts more is a defence that has 10 sacks in 7 games, and 0 fumbles forced. Not exactly a lot of support.

23) Indianapolis Colts - 3-4-1
I don't think this upcoming QB class can come quickly enough for the Colts. Sorry, Mike Glennon, but it just isn't going to end well for you. It doesn't help they are 1st in the league in penalties and penalty yards. That's on Coach Single for me though, he has to get discipline restored.

22) Tennessee Titans - 3-3-1
The Titans are doing well on some fronts, and I think they may end up being a competitive force before long. They are the best team in the league defending the run, they just need the rest of their roster to develop. Mariota could do with pushing on, his 1,334/8/3 output is fair but not spectacular.

21) Oakland Raiders - 3-4
The real story here is the emergence of rookie passer Max Shaw out of Washington. 1,034 yards, 8 touchdowns and 2 interceptions. A 101.8 passer rating. Derek Carr wasn't getting it done and the Raiders needed him to step up. Harsh, but that's how the NFL can be.

20) Pittsburgh Steelers - 3-4
This team is better than their record. Close losses and blow out wins. 2nd in total offence, and a QB with nearly 2,000 yards. If Pittsburgh cut down on the flags (60 in 7 games), they should get the breaks that will see them grab more wins in the 2nd half of the season. Credit to John Fox for breaking his mould as a defence driven coach. That unit is doing well, but it is the offence that shines for Pittsburgh right now.

19) Philadelphia Eagles - 3-4
So, RG3 is still getting it done! Well, as much as you can when you only have 3 wins. He's been a useful short range passer, moved the chains with his legs, and spent the bulk of his time handing the ball off to Murray (who has 110 YPG on the ground). The play of wide receiver Latevin Preston will have made the Eagles happy, it's about time he started to show why the organisation drafted him.

18) Seattle Seahawks - 4-4
Losing Earl Thomas would hurt any team. He probably won't be back until a few weeks before the end of the regular season. Will that be too long for Seattle? You feel that the Seahawks are due a run, they usually do when things look bleak. If they do, one thing in their favour is a 2nd best in the league +15 turn over differential. This defence is suiting Mike Tomlin pretty well.

17) Dallas Cowboys 4-4
Damn it, I wanted to put these guys so much higher and I just can't. McBride is the future, he is quality. 2,177 yards, 17TDs. If he can reduce the interceptions, and get some support from the defence, this team is legit!

16) San Francisco 49ers - 4-3
A surprise package after last season's efforts. I'm impressed they are this high. Kaep is being steady, nothing spectacular, and the backfield duo of Carlos Hyde and Knile Davis have quietly been getting it done. If Von Miller would just show up and earn his pay now, maybe things would continue to improve.

15) Minnesota Vikings - 4-3
The Vikings shouldn't have 4 wins. To get 50% of your wins off missed last second field goals, both of which HIT THE UPRIGHT?! Not buying it, but I can't slide them much lower. Their -6 turn over differential will get them found out before too long. Peterson looks to be slowing down as well, which has to happen eventually. His 6 fumbles haven't come back to bite them, yet.

14) St Louis Rams - 4-3
The Rams defence continues to keep themselves competitive, particularly a fearsome secondary that Coach Philbin must be proud of. As a unit, they have helped St Louis to a +14 in the turnover battle. If only Robinson could get some help at QB! Just spend one off season signing receivers and this team could be so good!

13) Arizona Cardinals - 4-2-1
Things were starting to click in the desert for the Red Birds, but then the wheels came off. They blew that big lead and limped to a tie against the Ravens, and lost Russell Wilson and Malcolm Floyd. Both will probably be out a month, what shape will the team be in by the time they return? Matt Moore will be the man to keep an eye on if you want to find out, what an opportunity for the journeyman signal caller because this team has a lot of pieces.

12) Baltimore Ravens - 4-2-1
The other side of the coin from that Cardinals tie mentioned above, Baltimore dug themselves out of a hole and got something from a game they had no right getting anything from. It's been a real kick starter to their season to, and they're building momentum. Flacco's 19TDs and 2 interceptions is a real nice split at the half way stage.

11) Green Bay Packers - 4-3
So, is this Packers team tucked in waiting for another push to the playoffs, or is this a sign of a drop off? I'm going with the former, purely because this season has the same blueprint as all their other post-season runs. 1st in points for, 1st in points per game, 24 touchdowns for Aaron Rodgers. We will score more points than you, even if you score 50.

10) New York Jets - 5-3
The fairy tale season of Jack Riley continues! When will he throw an interception?! He's up to 19/0 and his security with the football has led the Jets to an NFL best +17 turn over differential. Even losing Eric Decker hasn't slowed Riley down. Wilkerson is beginning to show some return on investment to, he has 7.5 sacks.

9) New England Patriots - 5-3
An unfamiliar position for the Patriots, constant top 5 dwellers! Jamie Collins is now on IR with a torn rotator cuff and will be a huge loss for this defence. Jimmy Garoppolo is playing pretty well considering the scrutiny he is under, he's got north of 2,000 yards passing and 16 touchdowns. 8 of those touchdown passes have gone to his favourite target Doug Baldwin. He is thriving since leaving Seattle.

8) Jacksonville Jaguars - 5-2
You have to feel bad for Gus Bradley. I feel he put the work in to build this team then got the axe before he had a chance to enjoy it. With Gary Kubiak in charge, the Jags are succeeding with a real mix of offence and defence to. 3rd in points scored per game, but 1st in the league with 27 sacks on defence, great combo! Doug Martin has 10 rushing TDs, Arian Foster has 642 yards, and 10 different players have at least 1.5 sacks this season. It all suddenly looks very bright for the Jags!

7) Buffalo Bills - 5-2
I am at a loss with this one. Percy Harvin has been injured. Tyrod Taylor has been injured. Even LeSean McCoy has been injured! Yet the Bills have 5 wins. I don't know how they have managed it, but they have consistently found a way to come out with more points than the other guys each game. Sometimes, that's all it takes!

6) Cincinatti Bengals - 5-3
What more is there to say about the Bengals? They are 90% sure to go to the playoffs and 100% sure to lose. They look really good again. Andy Dalton is a proven 10+ game winner each season and has a lot of support around him. Carlos Dunlap has 6 sacks on a loaded defence. I want them to win a Super Bowl just so I can write something different about them.

5) Carolina Panthers - 5-2
3rd in points for, 3rd in points allowed. Those are two stats that when the same team can combine them will lead to success. The fun thing for this Carolina team? They might end up being a trivia question some day. They have 14 rushing touchdowns so far, shared between Ahmad Bradshaw, Mike Tolbert and Rex Burkhead. What a bizarre trio! Effective though.

4) Denver Broncos - 5-2
All Hail Peyton Manning! It is great to have the Sheriff back in the mix. The league is better for it, and he has managed something remarkable so far with this Denver team. Backed by a truly solid defensive unit, the Broncos look solid. When they get Demaryius Thomas back, they could really start stringing things together.

3) Kansas City Chiefs - 5-2
The Chiefs have managed to keep their core together and look primed for another run. This may be Alex Smith's last season as the starter with Drew Carter waiting in the wings. The most impressive thing is they are winning right now with Jamaal Charles out injured, Chris Johnson is enjoying the twilight of his career in Kansas.

2) Mexico City Diablos - 5-2-1
What a way to start for the fans in Mexico. Everyone is talking about their franchise, and they are producing on the field. Even without banged up marquee linebacker Bobby Wagner, the Diablos look strong. 2nd in points for is a good start, Julio Jones is producing in his contract year, 819 yards and 7 TDs.

1) Detroit Lions - 5-1-1
Anyone remember that great Lions team with Matt Stafford and Calvin Johnson that dominated teams by....****nning the ball?! Abdullah is the hot name right now, and Detroit are the #1 rushing offence in the NFL. On defence, the Lions are imposing their will on their opponents with that strong group of linebackers. Running the football and playing solid D. That always gets you to the top of my power rankings!
Old 02-18-2016, 05:43 AM   #74
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

Year 3 17/18 - Week 10

Bringing You The Hottest NFL News Since '99!

Kai Waters

”It’s Just Like The Thrashers, But So Much Worse”

Back in 2011, not too many people batted an eyelid when the Atlanta Thrashers shut up shop and moved to Winnipeg. Atlanta had tried hockey before with the Flames in the 70’s, they lasted less than 10 years before moving north to Calgary. The fact the Thrashers lasted a little longer was surprising, but their departure for “Hotlanta” was anything but. The relocation of the Falcons was another body blow to the sporting culture of the city, but this is so much bigger than anything that has gone before.

”It’s a damn disgrace. I’ve been watching the Falcons since I was a boy. A damn disgrace”

The mood around the area is still understandably raw. Streets that were once lined with thousands of fans lay largely empty. Businesses that relied on game day footfall struggle to stay open. The whole place is just, quiet.

George is a local business owner and a lifelong Falcons fan. The 45 year old has similar views to a lot of fans I spoke to. "I watched them at Fulton County. I was there when they moved to the Dome. And for what? Gone. It sucks. It’s all about money, and it’s not fair on the fans who gave a lot to this team. It’s a damn disgrace. I’ve been watching the Falcons since I was a boy. A damn disgrace”

Atlanta Falcons favourite Tony Gonzalez is a man that has been in high demand in the last 12 months. With Mexican heritage on his mother’s side, plus being born and raised in California, the 14 time Pro Bowler understands every side of the argument better than most.

"It’s a tough one for me, if I’m honest. I loved my time in Atlanta, it will always hold a special place in my heart. The fans were great, so passionate and knowledgeable. I can imagine what they are going through is hard. When I was back home, growing up (in California), I’d have been about 18 or 19 when the Raiders moved back to Oakland, and the Rams left to. It was hard for the fans there to. I grew up watching those teams and when they left I had an empty feeling for a long time."

When asked about the move to Mexico, Gonzalez was understandably hesitant but pleased the country had been given such an opportunity. "To their credit, the fans in Mexico have embraced the team and the game. The support since the announcement of the move has been off the charts, and the noise and atmosphere at each home game....it’s crazy! I think there is a perception from people within the US that this is “their” game, but with the International Series in London, and now this, that perception just isn’t the case. This is a global game.”

But for all the noise of “The Fire Pit”, there is a constant reminder situated at 1 Georgia Dome Drive that in the NFL there are winners, but there has to be losers as well.

”Yeah, big fat losers!” George said. ”What am I going to do? Watch baseball?! This just sucks, and it’s not fair."
Old 02-19-2016, 05:27 AM   #75
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

Year 3 17/18 - Week 11

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-22-2016, 06:38 AM   #76
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

Year 3 17/18 - Week 12

The 4 Quick Takes From This Week's NFL

Amanda Reditch

The NFL never sleeps, and I love it. For every winner, there is a loser, every up, a down. And the best thing about it is that during the season the league moves at 100 miles an hour, if you're down now it won't be long until you're on the up again.

1st Down - DeAndre Hopkins isn't being very subtle any more

So, here are a lot of things that come as a surprise to nobody. DeAndre is fed up of wasting his career in Houston. Colt McCoy and Geno Smith aren't very good. This situation is getting ugly. "Enough is enough. I've got to take my career seriously," was all Hopkins would say after the team's latest loss. Who can blame him? Some have taken the stance that he should be a professional, but every one can no doubt understand his frustration.

2nd Down - "The Chip Kelly Experiment" - Best prog rock band name ever?

They may not have ended up making it to rock stardom, but it would have been a great band name. In the NFL though, the future is looking bleak for Chip, in Philly at least. The Eagles arer limping to the line with a relatively talented roster. The main question remains, if Kelly is fired, will someone else take a shot with him? Could that perfect marriage with Marcus Mariota in Tennessee really become a reality?

3rd Down - Wide Receiver carousel, who gets paid? Nobody knows!

Julio Jones, Brandon Marshall, AJ Green, Sammy Watkins, Kelvin Benjamin, Antonio Brown. All free agents at the end of this year. Will they all move? Will they all stay? It's rare in the NFL that so much talent at a single position could hit the market at the same time. It will also be interesting to see who signs first, either with their own team or a new one, for how much, and where that sets the bar for the rest of the pack. It's quite possible that this hot QB draft class come into the league with some great new weapons at their disposal.

4th Down - Player power and the labour dispute

This one has become more public in the last few weeks, but you feel it has to come to a head before long. The players and the NFLPA are unhappy with the amount of money they are helping to create compared to the amount they see (no change there). The owners are perfectly happy with the arrangement. Pockets are being lined and it isn't likely to end well for everybody. Can some middle ground be found? The current CBA runs until 2020 and has no opt out clause for either side. Owners are standing firm, but the NFLPA are considering legal action and even strike action, sources suggest.

What an explosive 4 downs! So much going on, and I bet I'll have even more when I'm back in a few weeks,

Amanda
Old 02-23-2016, 04:12 AM   #77
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

Year 3 17/18 - Week 13

Your One Stop Shop For Everything Pro Football!

Carson Dietrich, Senior Writer

Week 13 Power Rankings

RK (LW)TeamRecord
1 () Kansas City Chiefs8-3
2 () Jacksonville Jaguars9-2
3 () Cincinnati Bengals8-3
4 () Buffalo Bills9-2
5 () Denver Broncos8-3
6 () Dallas Cowboys7-4
7 () Carolina Panthers8-2-1
8 () St. Louis Rams8-3
9 () Green Bay Packers8-3
10 () Baltimore Ravens8-2-1
11 () Tennessee Titans7-3-1
12 () Indianapolis Colts6-4-1
13 () Mexico City Diablos7-3-1
14 () Oakland Raiders7-4
15 () New England Patriots6-5
16 () New York Jets6-4-1
17 () Pittsburgh Steelers6-5
18 () Seattle Seahawks6-5
19 () Arizona Cardinals6-4-1
20 () Chicago Bears6-5
21 () Tampa Bay Buccaneers6-5
22 () New Orleans Saints5-5-1
23 () Washington Redskins5-6
24 () Minnesota Vikings5-6
25 () San Francisco 49ers5-6
26 () Detroit Lions5-5-1
27 () San Diego Chargers4-7
28 () Philadelphia Eagles4-7
29 () Houston Texans3-8
30 () Cleveland Browns2-9
31 () New York Giants2-9
32 () Miami Dolphins0-10-1
Old 02-24-2016, 08:39 AM   #78
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

Year 3 17/18 - Week 14

Your Path To The Hottest Draft Talent!

Lloyd Bowerman, Senior Draft Writer

Draft Preview - Defence

Whilst the defensive end of this draft isn't going to rival the offence, especially the QBs, I'm still seeing a lot of quality spread across the positions that should get GMs excited. Lets dive straight in.

DEFENCE

DT
  • No position has had more 1st round grades off me in the last 3 years than defensive tackle. The level of talent coming through the collegiate ranks continues to be impressive at DT.
  • Despite 4 potential first round players, I would imagine all 4 of them will fall into the bottom half of round 1. Stephan Austin from Auburn might creep into the top 10 after terrorising the SEC, a lot of teams won’t be sad to see the back of him.
  • Teams in need of a traditional 3-4 NT will once again be disappointed. This is a 4-3 heavy class in skill set. I would say there aren’t even suitable players to convert from a height and weight perspective, either.

DE
  • Defensive end was a perennial top of the draft position for a long time in the NFL. It appears to have fallen off somewhat in recent seasons. I only have 1 player with a first round grade this season. We may have the first draft in a long time without a DE taken in round 1.
  • If anyone is going to be selected in round 1, it is likely to be Markus Manning. The 6’2”, 245lb pass rusher from Oklahoma reminds me a lot of Dwight Freeney with his finesse skill set.
  • Illinois’ Marvin James is the top 3-4 end in the draft. He possesses an excellent swim move that will serve him well at the next level, but his play recognition could use some work.
  • Glenn Hunter appeared an certain round 1 prospect last year but elected to return for his senior year. An admirable decision, but a series of knee injuries have seen his stock plummet. Sometime you can make a wrong decision for all the right reasons.

OLB
  • The loaded OLB class of 2 years ago seems like a distant memory. Back then, 7 OLBs were taken in round 1. This year, I think that number should be 1, but we will have to wait and see.
  • The 1 selection should be Sam Dwyer, the tackle machine from Oklahoma. His instincts and pursuit remind me of Clay Matthews, but with considerably less hair.
  • Javonte Givens and Nate Dial should both be off the board by the end of round 2, but there is a significant drop off in talent after that. Teams still needing outside linebacker help might be waiting until round 6 or 7.

MLB]
  • Inside linebacker is going in the opposite direction to draftable players on the outside. 2 years ago, I had 1 MLB with a first round grade. This season I have 4.
  • Aldrin Miles may be the best tackler in the entire draft. He has anchored the defence at Nebraska for 3 years and can blitz, play zone and play man. He will be a versatile weapon for a team in the NFL.
  • Antuan Hughes, BJ Dixon and Tyri Stills are all legitimate players that should have new homes by the end of round 1. Stills is only just a first rounder for me, and at 5’11” is undersized. Still, his tape stands up whenever I watch it.

CB
  • One advantage to a loaded QB class is that players in other positions will fall down the rounds to teams lucky enough to be set at quarterback.
  • Another year, I could easily see either Rashad James and Tyrone Briggs going in the top 3, possibly even first overall. As it is, I think they will automatically slip to 5th or later due to the run on QBs that we are likely to see.
  • Joining Briggs from Florida State are fellow alums Taven Blake and Rashad Scott. All 3 members of that heralded “Holy Noley” secondary should be heavily recruited. Remember that game against Florida? 32 passing yards on 32 pass attempts. Intimidating.
  • DeMarcus Parker from UCLA hasn’t helped himself in recent months. His arrest for gun possession has seen his stock plummet, but the worst part was his lack of remorse for his actions. That will have turned a lot of teams off.

S
  • It is a weak year for top end safety play. I can tab 1 guy, Gordon Duncan, with a late 1st round pick, but a lot of serviceable players can be had in the mid-rounds.
  • One such player is Jaylen Riley, who will most likely go in the 3rd or 4th. He is a big hitter than excel in coverage as a ball hawk. That is a great combination.
  • Charleston Southern will be delighted to have sent 2 players to this draft, and both at the same position. The FCS minnows have never had a player drafted in their 27 year history. Based on my grades both Emery Duncan and Zach Barr should go in the 5th or 6th rounds, a real achievement for their programme.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:41 AM   #79
Rookie

Rumplebeanskin's Arena

Just noticed this thread has now gone over 5,000 views. I can't believe that, I honestly just expected a handful of people to pop in once in a while. Awesome!
Old 02-24-2016, 09:50 AM   #80
I hate you Norv

tdawg3782's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumplebeanskin
Just noticed this thread has now gone over 5,000 views. I can't believe that, I honestly just expected a handful of people to pop in once in a while. Awesome!
You have a good formula. Keep it up bro.

Sent from my Galaxy s4 so deal with the short hand
twitch broadcast name: tdawg3782

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »